1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Suicide thoughts

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Eilonwy, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

LoL,hellz i mean God

2. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Suicide is just far too selfish. I've considered it several times, but then I think of my family and how sad they would be. I wouldn't dream of putting them through it, you've just got to get over it. I'm lucky I have a very close and loving family who help me get through everything.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I think there is a difference between just thinking about it and thinking about it in a serious intentionally way.

Sure I thought about it in a way of what would happend if I did. And every time I would see that it was like abandoning my family in the weakest most way.

5. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I couldn't agree more. I've thought about it, but I really don't see it as a way out.

While we're on the lyrics theme:

Sing me to sleep
    Sing me to sleep
    I'm tired and I
    I want to go to bed
    Sing me to sleep
    Sing me to sleep
    And then leave me alone
    Don't try to wake me in the morning
    'Cause I will be gone
    Don't feel bad for me
    I want you to know
    Deep in the cell of my heart
    I will be so glad to go
    Sing me to sleep
    Sing me to sleep
    I don't want to wake up
    On my own anymore
    Sing to me
    Sing to me
    I don't want to wake up
    On my own anymore
    Don't feel bad for me
    I want you to know
    Deep in the cell of my heart
    I really want to go
    There is another world
    There is a better world
    Well, there must be
    Well, there must be
    Bye bye

6. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    "Suicide is just far too selfish. I've considered it several times, but then I think of my family and how sad they would be. I wouldn't dream of putting them through it, you've just got to get over it. I'm lucky I have a very close and loving family who help me get through everything. "
    yeah, but when you think like that then you are nothing more then a slave
    with regards to 'its better to exist then not to' you would never know that you didnt exist anymore, so you wouldnt get the chance to consider it

7. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If I intended to commit suicide, I wouldn't give a damn about what my family would think. It's not like they care or something.

[ February 13, 2003, 17:35: Message edited by: Eze ]

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] BTA have you never been a teenager with hormones suddenly rush through your body? I am sure that about rounds it up.

Eilonwy it is natural. It is a way of reflecting upon life. By figuring death. Any healthy teen at "any" age should ponder on this. Conscious or not. Willingly or not.

EDIT;
    A different story is planning and preparing a suicide. You end up dead ;) Then why the heck not go to Nepal and be a monk or a nun there. It is your life. worst case you just have one. It is never so miserable as it should end for good. If it is, just start all over. flee. New country, New ideals, new dreams. What is the worst that can happen? right. Death. Which was inevitable anyway...

[ February 13, 2003, 19:20: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

9. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Pretty much agree with Depaara and Foradasthar. I've considered it (during my teenage years I might add -- when I was flunking out of college in spite of being somewhat close to a genius...), but I'm too much of a coward and didn't have a real desire to end my life anyway. I just didn't want to go on living the defeated life that I had. If you've never felt that way (*cough*BTA*cough*), congratulations. You must be singularly successful.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'll say it again! Get a grip! Man it always amazes me how seriously people take their little problems (not to say that all of the problems above are little)

Have I had many failures in life in my 35 years? Of course I have; who hasn't? Have I had hormones rushing through my body in my teens? Of course I have; who doesn't?

Do defeats and setbacks make me want to kill myself? No.

I guess I've always had high self esteem regardless of the defeats, and I never really cared much for what others thought of me.

Perhaps that is the difference between me and you (and I don't mean that towards anyone specific).

[ February 14, 2003, 04:10: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

11. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hmm, I've thought about it, plenty of times. But like, I was close once to succeeding, but like, I'm never alone long enough to actually complete the deed. Heh, that's kind of ironic, at least to me it is. It was a real bad time in my life, my whole family was using me in ways I don't want to publicly post, but now, I'm straight. I'm much healthier, mentally, and I don't have sucidial tendencies anymore. Besides, my b/f would kill me if I tried to do something. :D

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

BTA, I will say this.

California is a fairly diverse state. You guys just never really get into the hardcore Puritan side of the nation. To be honest, the Gold rush and Nevada and all the Mexicans kept the Puritans at bay. They got shut down in Utah. =)

To be honest, it's something the rest of the Nation could use a heathy dose of.

As far as Eilonwy goes, hang in there!

Those teen years are the toughest part of your entire life. Brainwashed, tortured, subjugated, and dominated. Everyone has to survive it, but there are some parts of the world where it's a better experience. You're probably just in one of the rough sides of the neighborhood, like the rest of us.

Hang in there Eilonwy! It gets better!

13. Shura Gems: 25/31

I won't end my own life, at least not until I have tortured to death all those I have deemed unworthy of existence. And their families and children with them.

:evil:

What is life but a terminal disease to which death is the answer?
    Death will come, regardless of whatever you do. No sense in rushing towards it.
    Live hard, die well. And leave a trail of corpses in your wake. :evil:

14. Prozac Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Actually yes. But I eventually considered it beeing an incredible vanity to deny the world my very presence only because life sucks. Suicide actually is a very narcistic thing to do.

Try wearing pink sunglasses when you face life :hippy: When it becomes totally unbearable you can still consult a psychologist and receive the blessings of the modern pharmaceutical industry. I mean, you'll be a completely different person, but hey, everything is groovy! :hippy:

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Welcome to the boards :lol:

When my mother had depression she took medication but they mad it worse and she got better when she stoped taking them.

I don't really agree with medication that makes such changes unless it is what the people want.

16. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

BTA, some take a beating and jump up ready to kick ass back, others sit down and feel bad about themself. That's the way people are. (This has a lot to do with selfesteem.) To you their problems might seem trivial, but to them the problems are real and seem huge. It has a huge impact on their lives, apparently enough to consider suicide. It's a way out for them, an escape from the psychological torment they're under.

Honestly? Yes I've thought about it. Several times actually. Never tried it though. There have been times when I felt so broken, so crushed that I didn't see anything good anymore. I won't list my reasons, because to others they might seem trivial. To me they were huge grotesque problems, which pained me greatly. At those times I thought about suicide. However eventually there always came things that made think differently. The hurt I would bring to my parents was the main reason several times, though there have been more.

I am no longer the person I was a couple of years ago, and when I look back at that time I can still feel my agony, the pain I was going through. I must honestly say though, that I will always keep the option of suicide open. I'd rather take my own life at the time of my choice than wait in torment till the end comes. But I can't say what kind of problem would hurt me enough to push me over that boundary between wanting to live and wanting to end the pain.

(Edit) Some say suicide is running away, others call it cowardly. Personally, I see it as a way to stop the pain. There's no use in suffering. On that note, yes I support euthanasia, and yes I think that suicidepills should be condoned. (With the obvious restrictions on it of course, you don't want to be able to buy that at a drugstore) (/Edit)

If I would've attempted it, (never did) it would've been rope or pills, perhaps a weapon. Most likely would be breaking my own neck using MartialArt techniques. (Which isn't all that difficult really) I'd notify the police in advance. That way people who are trained to handle such situations would be confronted with my suicide, instead of people who aren't, and who aren't prepared for it. (like family or friends)

[ February 15, 2003, 13:18: Message edited by: Faragon ]

17. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, it appears that most people have thought about it at one time or another, including myself. We're not bots, with programmed "fixes" for negative stimuli. Being humans as we are, it all boils down to 2 things, imo -- fear and love. For me, I do not fear what lays on the other side, however I do fear the loss of options--that there is no turning back, not ever, at least in the knowledge I have currently. And then "love" -- is escape of the pain more important than the harm it does to others? For most of us that answer is no. For me, it is no. But the answer can be very different for those who have no "others".

I've lost two suicides on the phone when I was 911 dispatching. In both cases, they had no "others". I believe they wanted to live, or they wouldn't have called. And I wrestled with the fact that "I let them die", which took many months to get past and I still think about occasionally. (I sat there with the phone in my hand for quite some time.)

We all experience pain...but when combined with aloneness -- the situation becomes unrecoverable for many people. And so while I frequently go about my selfish business and sometimes turn a blind eye to someone in need, I am always, nevertheless, left with a nagging reminder---no one ever wants to be the "other" that was left behind-- even if it is a surrogate.

18. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

That's a good movie. Everyone should watch that one, at least once. Sure, Sure. There's some naughty words. And sexual innuendos. And nudity. And violence. And homosexuality. And prostitution.

I still consider it a "family" movie. Not something you watch when you're 8 or 10. But I'd have to say 12 is about the age where it starts becomming a "family movie".

19. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well i am very much with BTA on this issue.

Sorry but i had medical depression for two years, i mean really badly, at one point i was so scared of the world ending that i sat up without sleeping for 76 hours!
    But i never, i repeat NEVER considered suicide. My problems felt bad at the time, but is till had enough of a grip on reality to realise that my life was peachy compared to a lot of other people.
    Commiting suicide would be selfish and weak and pathetic. And i would only hurt my family and friends in my vain and final attempt to seek attention.
    So i never considered it.

You can whine till your blue in the face, but if you are able to sit in front of a computer and have the time to type on this board then you have no RIGHT to consider your problems bad enough to commit suicide over.

Harsh, but fair i think. Get a grip.

20. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    tHought of it? Yes. Tried it? No. Know someone who has tried it? Plenty. Known someone who has succeeded? Yes.

In my case, I never did anything because I am too attached to life, and because I ama bit of a Haer'Dalis when it comes to afterlife....

Others? I have no idea.

More, later, perhaps...

(Thirsty)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.