1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The General Election (UK)

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Mr Writer, Apr 29, 2005.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Oh, wait, no it isn't.

Respected by whom? Serious question.

Basing something solely off an article in The Nation is about as wise as basing something solely off an article from World Net Daily.

Don't care that much, but a cursory google search revealed precisely zero news sources talking about Blair repealing the Magna Carta. There were a few forum threads, a couple blogs (both pro/con), and a page on one of the opposition party's site, but, erm...that's about it. So how about you do some work and support it?

2. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

You can't "repeal" something which is, for the most part, not in effect anymore, has largely defunct clauses, and has hardly any modern legal weighting. This was my point.

What I believe you mean is that the Prevention of Terrorism Act has come under fire for impinging upon habeus corpus - which is first codified in Magna Carta. Although this has happened before in the past, for instance, during the Second World War, and the Napoleonic Wars, I believe, so it's hardly something novel as the article wrongly suggests.

3. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Thanks, Dranalis, That is pretty much what I meant. I looked up the Act on Google (courtesy of Her Majesty's Stationery Office); its provisions are fairly intimidating, particularly the long section on Control Orders against individuals. (1.)

It's true that Magna Carta is little more than a Holy Relic, whose primary importance today lies in its assertion that Englishmen have certain inalienable rights--that sounds familiar--that the government may not impinge upon; the principle of the thing, you might say. Which is what this Act does.

The two examples you cite both occurred in wartime, wars in which Great Britain was quite literally threatened with destruction. Whether the "war on terrorism" deserves to be exalted to this dimension is precisely the point.

(1.) Control Orders may be issued against individuals by the Secretary of State. The controlled person's movements and associations may be restricted; his residence may be searched at any time; he may be taken into custody and questioned at any time. There are many other specifications. The Act does provide for immediate judicial review of such orders. It also allows the arrest of an individual as soon as the application for a control order is made, before such order is issued.

A Master: I'd like to reply to your post, but I don't believe there's anything there that can be replied to.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.