1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Your favourite 'kebab'

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Cúchulainn, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, i love that crap, that is if it's made by Israeli's, not by Turks. I prefer my shoarma served with pita bread, instead of the spungy excuse for bread the Turks serve with it. :D

Been a while since i last had one, and it's not too late to order me some....

I've been around btw, just didn't know what to post. Sometimes it's better to be silent for a while. :D

2. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

You get the best kebabs in Hässelby, trust me.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31

There's an excellent one here as well, called "the Pyramids", and it's run by two Israeli guys and two Egyptians, must be one hell of a combination because the Shoarma's there are yummie, and really filled well. It just sucks that the next day you'll scare even the roaches away with your breath. :shake:

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have to get mixed kebab really, wherever I get it from. Doner is nice, but can get a bit samey. Mixed in with nice chicken and lamb, it's spot on pal. Smothered in chili sauce gorgeous ;) . It's like necta when you're pissed up!

5. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Mmmm...my favourite place would be "De Babyloniër" and my favourite pita/kebab would be Pita Bablyon...shoarma meat, crispy döner bread and lots of fried veggies like aubergine, courgette, tomatoes, paprika and also (unfried) lettuce and carrots. I always go for cocktail sauce. :p

[ January 05, 2007, 23:51: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ya'all have made me homesick. There was and probably still is a great little Greek restaurant in Brooklyn that made great Kebab, with falafel, Greek salad and pita bread. Oh rice things wrapped in grape leaves, finishing with a sweet of some sort, Greek of course.

But when I think of gyros I think of lunch time on Wall Street. And I do mean the street. Go outside to cart, stand in line, get a gyro and usually a touristy type coming up and asking what they are and are they good. We'd all smile, nod and be vague about what was in them. Who knows? Then you walk around munching your over stuffed pita bread sandwich and drinking soda.

Ah, that was the life'; "the Good Old Golden Days.
    Then sadly back to the office.

7. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    We have a place here called "Snack Ankara", best kebab in the world and is run by four hairy Turkish guys.
    There was a good one in Uppsala(Sweden) too, don't recall it's name, but it had a magnificent kebab sauce.

Oh and don't EVER eat kebab in Finland unless the place is really-really dirty! The clean places have "watery" kebab that tastes like crap.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I like all of them, but the favourite is probably shoarma - out of what I have tasted and can name.

As far as food goes, I generally have a broad preference and prefer to rotate between things I like, even if I don't like them equally. Unless something is really, really good and I'm not inclined to try the other stuff. ;)

So, let's say we take a big, healthy kebab with fresh meat and fresh veggies and fresh bread. Ideally, I'd have doner bread on one day, pita on another, durum on yet another, something else then if they have any. Then shoarma or kofte or other meat, in some rotation. Not the same thing all the time, unless I've tasted all and don't have the dish often enough for it to get repetitive and offend my love of variety in food. ;)

If you really pressed me to the wall, I'd go with the same as Uytuun. :shake:

Aha, and I didn't like the Gyros stuff in Greece. I liked Turkish kebabs I could find in my home city better than that. ;) Even if I actually like gyros meat with tzatziki sauce and all... just didn't like what kebab-like stuff I got in Greece. ;)

[ January 06, 2007, 02:52: Message edited by: chevalier ]

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

And here was I about to say that kebab has sort of reputation of being dirty food around here. ;) Not that it seems to reduce its popularity though. I personally eat kebab very rarely and even then it's pita kebab and I have not the slightest of clue about the difference between the options in this poll or even what of them I've eaten.

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Uytuun's option seems really nice. I often have an other variant: Pita with döner kebab and veggies and a sauce of red onions, paprika, garlic and red peppers. *slurp*

I often find shoarma a bit too... simple.

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    See here for Wikepedia on shoama.

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Of course kebab meat should come of one of those roller-thingys, it wouldn't feel like kebab to me if it didn't. The bread should be freshly baked (as you order the food they start), the sauces should be two (one garlic one tomato-like), the vegetables should be fresh, and the final product should be big and juicy. That's what you get when you eat at the place I always eat.

13. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

We had a really good kebab shop near my old school in Norfolk, but apparently the owner got deported.

I fancy a kebab now. Thanks a lot, guys.

Cat-bab is the best.

14. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yes, they seem to be more hairy than average :D

One of my favourite kebabs is named "İskender kebab" and it is made using döner kebeb. In a broad plate, slice the pita bread and cover it with döner kebab. Than pour hot tomato sauce and boiling butter to it. Serve it with yogurt and if you want, add rice, grilled pepper and grilled tomato. It is delicious and here is a picture .

My other favourte kebab is named "Adana kebab". It is made from groung beef and it has a very strict recipe. Ground beef should be made from a male sheep, which must be older than 1 year. One dish must weigh 180 grams and 85% of it should be ground meat, 15% of it should be fat. Add salt, garlic and 3 kinds of pepper. Than cover a skewer with the mixture and the skewer's thickness must be 0,5 cm, width must be 3 cm and length must be between 90 and 120 cm. Than cook it using oak coal and the fire must be weak. Serve it with pita bread, grilled pepper and grilled tomato. Here is a picture .

We call it "yaprak sarma" here, it means "leaf wrapping" or something similar. It is very delicious if you can make it right; however, it is a very hard dish to make.

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I proper fancy a mixed grill kebab now ;) . There's plenty of Turk places around here. God knows what kind of crap they put in the meat, but it tastes good!

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of the options here I think what I like is most closely related to gyros. Gyros with french fries and some garlic sauce is heavenly. I am generally a big kebabman and would probably like all kinds.

17. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    I went to a nice place in Dordrecht more than a few times, around the corner from some pancake place called Pims I think...I think it was Turkish...I miss it...

18. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I voted for döner but I love them all. Actually there are lots of kebab types in Turkey. Every Turkish city has some kind of kebab. Some of them are Adana, Ankara, Urfa, Antep, Manisa and Erzurum(a.k.a. cag) kebaps. I eat Manisa kebab too much these days.

These hairy guys may be Kurds or Arabs too. Especially Arabs make good kebabs. In Adana, Antep and Urfa Arabs make probably the best kebab in the world (I don't know other middle eastern countries though).

That's true for everywhere. Hygiene and kebab doesn't go together. I also prefer dirty places where hairy guys are working. :grin: BTW I'm quite hairy maybe I should learn to make kebab too. :shake:

19. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    No, they're Turks, I'm a regular and I *had* to confirm that this is a 'real' kebab place ;) .

20. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Mayo on a kebab. *shudders* That's even worse than the one I once ate in Rostock: Tzatziki and Sauerkraut.

The best döner kebab is the one without any sauce.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.