1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Your favourite 'kebab'

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Cúchulainn, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

A simple spelling mistake. I am sure that you have made at least one in your life.

Again another small spelling mistake. Kebabs are commonly known as Kebabs in N.Ireland since most Kebab eateries are owned by Turks.

Shawarma I guess that only words that *you* are familiar with count? :rolleyes:

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    "Kabab" is the way many bars spell it. I've also seen "kebap" a lot. I suppose this comes from transcription problems. ;)

As for shoarma, shawarma or whatever you choose to call it, I think it's the same situation. The way it's called here would be the closest to "shahwormah" in English.

3. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nataraja:
    IIRC, the grill-room/shoarma shop that is closest to "Pim's Poffertjes en Pannenkoekenhuis" (which is on the Nieuwstraat) is Özgur, on the Voorstraat. If you say it's okay, I guess I will give it a try.

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

There's a kebabbie near me that sells the biggest kebab I've ever had. A piece of naan about 9 inches in diameter folded in half and filled with doner, chicken tikka, onion bhajis, some type of meat shaped like a sausage, some type of meat shaped like a burger (both types of kebab, but I can't remember their name offhand), salad and whatever sauce. All for £6... I only tried it once; me and a friend were pretty wasted, and we thought it would be interesting. We got 1/3 of the way through it, but it was amazing.

I like doner with chilli sauce best, though.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hmm... just an idea. Since so many people here seem to love kebabs, why not actually try making one home? Mum sometimes makes meat like that (though it's more like roasting something in the oven and cutting it up with a knife), we have it with matching veggies and some funny roasted potatoes. Can't really get pitas here but they used to be available.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's not the first time you've mentioned commonplace items that are unavailable in Poland. I still don't understand why that is when you are connected to the rest of Europe. Is there a fence around Poland and a man at the gate stopping anything from coming in?

But back on topic, I'm not sure how you recreate that dodgy unrecognisable-as-being-meat kebab meat at home. It just wouldn't be the same. But it's no big deal to cook some meat in spices and wrap it up in pita wrap with veges and sauce. We do that quite regularly, but we don't call it a kebab when we do it.

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Doner Kebab

with chicken, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, cheese, hommus, sour cream, garlic sauce and chilli sauce...

Or the same as above, minus the hommus, chilli sauce and chicken mince, plus beef mince, barbeque sauce...

:yum:

8. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i like to get gyros in grece.

it's made with: pork, chicken, french fries, garlic dressing, chilli, chilli sauce, guacamole red onios and salad...

other than that, when i have kebabs, doner or otherwise, i am usually on my way to get hungoverl and dont really care what i put in my mouth

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    When it's grilling season, souvlaki appears semi-regularly on my table. I start with the Frugal Gourmet's recipe. And here is a recipe for gyros. The key is getting all the ingredients very finely ground, so you get the proper texture in what is essentially a meatloaf.

10. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    @Master of Nuhn - it is "Özgur", IIRC. It was about a year ago though, and Id been at the coffeeshop in Zwijndrecht...my mother lives in the new area of H-I-A. I got the falafel thingy, quite a few times, Im vegetarian you see...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.