1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Popup trouble (EVERYONE HAVING THEM PLEASE REPLY!)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mollusken, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, I think I'm on to something here. I'd like to hear again from all of you who reported problems with this. Are you still getting more than one pop-up on the boards every 12 hours?

2. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I'm running IE5.0 at work, behind a firewall and proxy. I just found out that when I come to Sorcerer's first thing in the morning, I get a new popup each time I change page in the site; however, when I quit IE and came back in again, there were no popups.

3. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Still getting them, at school this time, but I have now got 4 popups/ads running at the same time so the problem has not been solved it seems.

Really cool those new smilies by the way, haven't seen them before today :rolling::oneeye::coffee:

4. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Same configuration and same experience as Maldir.
    Btw nice change of the banner in the NWN-voting it looks much better now :).

5. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

the repetitous popups, in my case, has ceased. So may I presume it is fixed ? :)

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I should hope so... It might take a bit longer for some people, depending on their location/server. But I think this is it. If you're having any trouble now, it must be one of the reasons listed above we can't really affect...

7. Rangstrom Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm still having problems. I use IE on a network. The only java checked is JIT (whatever that is). Yesterday leaving the site and coming back cured the problem. No such luck today.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh well... I did what I could on our end. It seems to have helped some people but a couple will keep having problems for one reason or another, but it's on their end. Could be any number of things really...

9. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yes, they're still here. On the other hand, if you just leave them alone, they sit in the background and don't come up in front of SP. And maybe SP will get more money if new ads keep being sent.

10. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Tal, from my end they do still appear, but not as frequent. Also they don't open their own window anymore. They just pop in the minimize area.

Many thanks great mage. :cool:

BTW, you're 40th level... can you cast 10th level spells? heh heh :grin:

11. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Interestingly enough, I've now started having trouble with the popups.

Windows crashed today, and after troubleshooting I realized the only way to fix it was by reloading it. I installed over existing so as to keep my current files. During the install, Windows 98 SE setup errored on some of the java CABs. Previous to the crash I had downloaded and installed the latest JRE from Sun.

After a great deal of trouble, I managed to get my system back to its initial configuration. The internet was actually running a bit faster for me, until I accessed SP. Now there is a script error on every page I load, whether it is a visit or a revisit, and I get a popup, whether or not I close the previous one. The script error says Access denied (whatever that means). I'm not sure if I need to install some Windows updates or if I need to reinstall the JRE. Any pointers?

12. Taluntain

Media:
    Hm, I haven't heard from anyone having any problems for the last two weeks or so. Try reistalling IE (which browser do you use?).

There should be no script errors on any pages you load. It must be the faulty Java components on your end... You need them functioning for this, because the cookie on the front page and the php "cookie" that appears behind the scenes on the boards both utilize JavaScript.

13. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Hmm it is annoying. here at work I get every time I open a page here the pop up, after 10 times the banenrs don't appear anymore though.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I am getting a new popup every time i load a new page but only when im in the boards. I use IE 5.5 (im not sure) and i have cable.

15. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Sure enough, the error was in Windows/IE. I ended up having to reformat the hard drive and reload (for other reasons) and this time it installed properly. Strangely, I got a script error the first time I loaded the boards, but that's it. I assume it's the javascript components that were giving me trouble.

EDIT: Actually, the script error appears to be related to the popup. The popup only loads once per dialup as before, but I still get a script error when it pops up.

[This message has been edited by Capstone (edited October 05, 2001).]

16. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The trouble has reappeared now. :(

17. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Well that does it. I'm fed up with people having these problems all the time. I'll set up the pop-up so that it will only show on the front page of the forums. That way it will still load its share, but it won't be so annoying because even if the system is broken for you, you'll only see it there.

But PLEASE, let it load at least there then and don't close it until it does.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited October 06, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.