1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Project Eternity - Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Pillars of Eternity' started by hannibal555, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I really hope this one gets made. My hopes are exremely high for this.

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Another stretch goal has been reached - 2 million

3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ^ We saw it coming! :)

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I hadn't intended my post to incite shock and awe. Simply to inform that the expected milestone had been met.

5. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wasn't meant that way. Sorry if it sounded off.

6. Marceror

Media:
    No worries, mate.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wonder how they managed to convince Russell Crowe to allow his image to be used in the game?

8. Marceror

Media:
    Spot on! That's Russell alright.

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    :lol:

A few special abilities would be nice, too. Like ... oh, I don't know ... say, hurling insults at enemies until they engage him in hand-to-hand combat. And maybe summoning a horde just like himself to bite the enemy.

:D

10. Marceror

Media:
    The 2.2m stretch goal has been reached. :)

11. Marceror

Media:
    Another companion. I'm guessing that she's a priest, but I can't see that her class has been announced yet. Edair was definitely confirmed to be a fighter.

[​IMG]

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 46 seconds later... ----------

This is a nice treat also, showing 5 companions. Edair is to the left, and Cadegund is second from the right. The female dwarven ranger that was pictured a while back is on the very right. I don't believe that the wizard or the monk have been introduced previously.

[​IMG]

Very nice high resolution versions of this can be downloaded from Kickstarter.

12. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

ugh...monks.

13. Marceror

Media:
    Here's the number currently on Kickstarter: $2,306,031

That means we now have Expert Mode, Trial of Iron, Path of the Damned, and the Godlike races added!

Uh, Rawgrim, if you have a disdain for monks, remember that there are 6 other confirmed classes to play as, and that number will soon be 8. Fret not, my friend. :)

14. Marceror

Media:
    2.4 million has been reached. We now have chanting and crafting. There was an additional level to the the Endless Paths dungeon added recently also, now at 4 levels.

Barbarians and Cyphers, here we come.

15. Marceror

Media:
    Here is Aloth, a wizard companion:

[​IMG]

16. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

Absolutely. I seriously hope they don't employ any of the rubbish from 3rd Edition onwards, e.g. ridiculous multi/dual-class/race combinations, or increasing STR, DEX, etc. as you level up. Oh, and feats! Don't get me started on feats. I can only just handle the HLAs from BGII:ToB. And my most hated qualm: clerics using swords!! Gah.

Sorry, this turned into a minirant about the awfulness of 3rd Ed+. Guess I'm too ol' skool. Hopefully Obsidian will avoid these pitfalls. :)

Artwork looks fantastic, though. Kinda unsure what to make of the use of firearms in the game, but whatever. I recall being vaguely impressed by Arcanum whilst playing it at my mate's, so it can't be all that bad...

17. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It won't be D & D because the rights to that are owned by Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast. I hope they are innovative but still keep to the spirit of the classic games. Good story, challenges, lots of choices, good dialogue, all the things that made BG, PS/T, Arcanum and others fun for me. Good combat I sincerely hope.

18. Marceror

Media:
    The 2.5m stretch goal was hit this morning (technically yesterday, since PayPal is not being factored into the total, and that was over 30k yesterday). So this means the Cipher and Barbarian are in. The Mega Dungeon has been expanded to 5 subterranean levels due to reaching 55,000 backers.

There are 2 new stretch goals listed, with no explanation as of yet.

At 2.7m it says Paladin and Chanters (2 new classes I assume)

At 2.8m we apparently get... "George Ziets" I guess they will be hiring him.

I presume an update to explain these stretch goals is in the works.

---------- Added 0 hours, 29 minutes and 13 seconds later... ----------

Update 18 is now up on Kickstarter, explaining the afforementioned stretch goals further, and a few other details.

19. Marceror

Media:
    Big update today! Lots of Lore Tidbits, Campaign Almanac, Big Ol' Stretch Goals, and... Environment Screenshot!

The environment screenshot looks almost too good to be true.

[​IMG]

I'll update my other post as soon as I get more than 5 minutes free.

20. Marceror

Media:
    Even though it hasn't been announced yet, we surpassed 2.7 million and got the Paladin and the Chanter classes. We also got another level to the mega dungeon. This isn't reflected on Kickstarter, which shows 57,258 backers. But I know that there are at least 700 paypal backers also, so that puts us way ahead of the 57,500 mark for the extra dungeon level.

The day isn't over yet and nearly $120k has been raised on Kickstarter, not to mention what PayPal may have taken in. It looks like the mad dash to the finish line is officially on!

$3 million? I think so! $3.5m? It's a stretch all right, but I'll enjoy watching to see how close we get.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.