1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Prostitution

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Oaz, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Jorgon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

It is a FREE country after all(America that is) and it is legal in Nevada, but, sometimes people start prostitution and try to stop but get bullied or strong-armed into staying. But, every idea has a bad and good side. I love this forum. Mwa ha ha ha.

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Laches's first post definitely has a point. The reason that prostitution tends to be illegal is because of all the negative aspects that come with it. In a small town near my home, strip clubs were just outlawed for the same reasons. The same goes for drug abuse.

I don't think the argument here should be whether the people involved "enjoy" their line of work should be a consideration in whether or not prostitution should be legalized.

It is definitely immoral to be selling sex for money, but the government should not legislate morality unless it affects many other people. In this case, it does. Laches explained that very well already, so there is no point in reiterating.

Either way, if you want to make all the laws that apply to public business also apply to prostitution, then wouldn't that also include age discrimination? In that case, we could have a 13 year old kid hiring the services of the local brothel. I'm sure we'd all agree that that is entirely unacceptable. If we require that the services only apply to adults, though, then the brothels can begin to discriminate on other facets as well.

Pretty much. But then, I have known women whose dream job was to be an exotic dancer. Isn't that the same thing from this standpoint?

As was said before, there is a demand for it, so suppliers will arrive. It's simple economic theory. At least by having it legalized, it may be possible to eliminate some of the other side-effects of the occupation.

3. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Laches, I think Sprite has a point about contract work. It's my understanding that contractors are free to accept or reject a contract offer as they see fit -- in fact, in most types of contract work, the contractor has to apply for a contract, not the other way around. It seems a similar legal arrangement would work for prostitutes, without forcing them to have sex with a paraplegic.

This should in no way be taken to be support for legalization; I'm morally opposed.

4. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I don't think a contractor or sub-contractor is the best analogy. However, I do know that contractors and sub-contractors are subject to the same civil rights laws as any other business, there have been some huge cases in North Carolina and Virginia with regards to racial discrimination in these fields. They are free to pick who they wish as a subcontractor but race, gender etc isn't allowed to enter into the decision process (race is protected more than gender and handicap.) If it is shown that these illegitimate considerations entered into the decision, look out, huge problems like in Virginia and North Carolina.

So, if you want to use the contractor analogy, the woman makes it known that she is taking offers, accepting bids, etc. She then receives bids, offers etc. She is free to refuse a bid but like a contractor she is bound by civil rights laws etc that won't allow here to refuse a bid because of certain reasons -- such as race, gender, handicap etc.

JohnnyRTFM's point about brothels more easily circumvents the problem I'd think -- a brothel would recruit women willing to accept certain clients etc.

5. Fhirn the Elven Archer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I too see nothing wrong with prostitution - I mean, have sex and get paid for it! Who wouldn't want a job like that?!

Except of course the cases in which a women is a prostitute by force or is forced to a sexual relationship with someone she doesn't want to have sex with.

6. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Oh, I don't know... maybe 99.9% of the world?

7. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It's not our choice anyway, it should be the choice of the individual on what they want to do with their bodies and not of the masses. You can not force someone to confirm to your views on something since people will always and always have found ways around laws. At least if you legalize it other people can keep an eye on it but it can never be permanently removed. They tried the same thing with alcahol and it failed miserably.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    To remove prostitution you must remove the demand

So the only, "good" working solution is castrate every men in a global wide operation named B.B.B. (Bye Bye Balls). *ouch*

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

But there are plenty of negative things involved with prostitution that the government should be regulating. Abuse, child sexual slavery, drugs, and STIs all fit in that category.

(Goodness, replying to my own question! :o )

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Laches: Gender, you say? Does it mean that for example a female hetero prostitute is not allowed to reject a female homo client? Such a rule is worse than prostitution itself on the part of those who impose it, in my humble opinion.

This is the oldest job in the world however immoral it is, and removing it is literally impossible. St.Augustine, who was very strict in the matters of body, said we shouldn't force them to leave the job because now decent women would then pick it.

We may of course divagate about prostitution in our civilised and orderly countries, but what about places where body is sort of coin? Where no skills count except for fighting skills. Where sex is being treated like our handshake & glass of whisky to validate a contract socially... Or the specific kind of courtesy that demands the host to give his daughter or sister or wife even to the guest(s) for the nights he/they is/are spending in his house. Or UN workers favourising certain families on similar basis? It was called sexual harassment as far as I know. As for me this is a kind of rape. In case of rape our good king Boleslaus the Brave (992-1025) ordered the man nailed to the block by what was most precious to him and a knife given to him together with the dramatic choice.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.