1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Questions about NPCs

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Chickavalier, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This is SoA so here's my favorite SoA party.

Korgan, Edwin, Jan, Vicky and Haer' Dalis

See other posts for equipment.

Vicky gets Fail of Ages.

Of course this tends to be an 'Evil' party but it sure is fun to play.

2. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

(1)What's your favourite NPC?

In Shadows of Amn: Minsc and Imoen. I've also become partial to Anomen after he almost single-handedly owned some major powerful people with his Blade Barrier in my last campaign.

(2)What do you think is best NPC?

Imoen and Haer'Dalis are the ones I like playing with most, because they're well-rounded and can do more things per person than a lot of the others.

(3)Who is Must-have for party?

As above, pretty much. Minsc for funniness and hacking people into little pieces, Imoen 'cause I love her, Haer'Dalis for the conversation and for having the best battle cries until Throne of Bhaal ("For the Doomguard, I strike a blow!").

(4)What's good gear for Q(1),(2),(3)?

Reading strategy sites, I get the impression I have rather unconventional builds for my favorite characters. I rarely get Lilarcor, so I often prefer to give Minsc two weapons in Shadows of Amn. With the Frostreaver axe and Skullcrusher +3 he can do a ton of damage. If I can spare points in hammers he can use Crom Faeyr. He wears the Shadow Dragon armor.

Anomen uses the Flail of Ages, generally all the way through Shadows of Amn and all the way through Throne of Bhaal. I usually play a fighter / mage so I use the Amulet of Power for myself, but I've been thinking I should let Anomen use it - I think he'd absolutely slaughter Bodhi's people with this and Blade Barrier.

Imoen gets a robe of some kind or elven chainmail (sometimes I whack Skarmaen Alibakkar in Trademeet and steal his). I don't mind too much in this 'cause she's pretty good with her spells and her bow regardless. Later I give her proficiencies in Katana for Throne of Bhaal. (Tenser's Transformation and a certain katana from Watcher's Keep turns our little Immy into five and a half feet of spinning red-haired death.)

Haer'Dalis uses the Crimson Dart or Arbane's Sword, or Soul Reaver if I can find the courage to fight the Demon Knights, and fills in the rest of the time playing folk songs to lift our courage.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    1- Valygar (great story, great potential, no hamster)

2- best as in most powerful? Jaheira (Fighter/Druid is only one notch below Ranger/Cleric)

3- Imoen (though she's getting on my nerves), Jaheira, Viconia... OR an evil alternative featuring Edwin, Korgan and Viconia (though a truly evil PC would let her burn and dance a gig). Good old Haer'dalis would be a good choice if he could get along with my PC -only they don't- (HD is way too flashy); Mazzy has been a regular element of most of my good parties though she's been known to be especially obnoxious in her relation with Valygar, Jan is an asset to any party but it's hard sometimes not to just put him out of his misery.

4- Tuigan bow, Belm scimitar, short bow of Geisen, mace of disruption, Crom Fayr, Flail of the Ages, Dragon scales armours... the regular stuff.

4. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Favourite is a choice between Yoshimo (amazing character, great story) Jaheira (ditto) or Minsc (comedy).

Most powerful depends on how you play. Abuse the engine and nothing beats haer'dalis. But in my experience, valygar tends to be pretty deadly, as is anyone wielding the silver sword.

I nearly always take Minsc and Imoen. Since my last playthrough though, Kelsey looks like becoming permanent.

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

1:
    Imoen - Thief-mage who can actually find traps and unlock, good stats, plus she's cool to have around (and she even gets praised by Korgan, and that takes talent)
    Jaheira - hey, for all the nagging, she tends to grow on you. Well-rounded, developed character with a great plot for her. Plus, she's powerful to boot.
    Keldorn - good story, well-rounded character... I almost feel sorry dragging him away from his family.
    2:
    Edwin - I've only taken him once (I don't like him as a character) but we are talking almost unlimited spellboo here...
    Nalia - take imoen's stats, more carrying capacity, and no Exp. lag. Weaker thief but quite effective mage if you don't like Edwin.
    Keldorn - lessee, do I use paladins to turn undead... no, do I like the HA - and quite a few other 2-handed swords... yes, do I consider several 95% sure dispells and a few true sights per day useful... oh yeah. He can become the ultimate mage-killer, imo... Besides, just give him the gauntlets of dexterity and he gets right up there with the best tanks ever (and some str. buffs don't hurt either).
    Anomen - yes, he's annoying. But he's a fighter/cleric with enough strength and HP to make it count, possibly decent wisdom, and all in all another prime candidate for the dexterity gauntlets. And it's not as if one of the best and early accessible weapons isn't a blunt one.
    Korgan - never taken him for long, but the times I did he slowly but surely took the lead in the kill ratio. Brutish, inelegant, and incredibly effective.
    3:
    Jaheira - good fighter, especially with a strength belt, ironskins and insect plagues (my favourite against mages), 6th level spells early on.
    4:
    Imoen (or Nalia) - tuigan/gesen bow, Bracers AC 3, Vecna robe, spell-giving rings and amulet of power if main spellcaster, AC-bonus Ioun stone, protective cloak/ring/amulet for AC and saves, usually inertial belt or anti-missile belt, possibly boots
    Edwin - pretty much the same without the bow - I usually give him the staff of fire or somesuch, SotM later on
    Keldorn - Carsomyr, Silver sword, gauntlets of dex, giant strength belt
    Anomen - FoA, Dragon/Gorgon plate, good shield (falling star or harmony), GoD if keldorn's not around, Str. belt (optional)
    Korgan - the two elemental damage axes (frostreaver and stonefire), dragon plate, str. belt (optional), possibly spell-reflection cloak or helm of charm protection
    Jaheira - belm, acid or thorns club (both if the mod is present :) )/Forest staff, strength belt - necessary, maybe Balduran's helm (if not with the PC), and a good armor. Well, I sometimes give her the ankheg one, though - she is a druid, after all.

6. Hard Blunt Stone of Fury Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

(1)Viconia
    1. She's a non dual class and non multiclass CLERIC!
    2. If you're male with enough strength, do her romance

(2)Anomen
    1. Great Tank
    2. Great Backup Cleric
    3. His romance is...well I never finished it yet

(3)Aerie hands down
    1. Secondary Cleric
    2. Secondary Mage
    3. Her romance is fun but you can't do 2-3 romances or else you'll be going 3-Way and girls don't like that and the game won't allow that either

(4) I'm not sure

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.