1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

R.I.P. Amy Winehouse

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Speaking of Elton John, I heard he is going to perform at Amy Winehouses funeral, with a beautiful rendition of 'Candle under the spoon'.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Taluntain and LKD like this.
  2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    She battled her demons, and unfortunately lost. R.I.P., Amy.

(I'm making this post more for personal reasons than anything else.)

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was a big fan of Amy Winehouse. I'm very saddened to see that she's died, but not really surprised. I'd held out hope that she would get her act together.

She was a pretty big star here in the states. Though she was tabloid fodder here (though nowhere near as much as in the UK tabloids, I'm sure), she was mostly known for her music. Her style was a big throwback to the Motown sound which originated here, and kicked off the blue-eyed soul pop trend that's happening right now (Adele's Rolling in the Deep is enjoying near constant airplay right now). Rehab, I'm No Good, and Valerie were particularly big hits here. Two of her songs were even performed on the hit show Glee. Sadly, she started to become more known for her troubles than her talent. I for one was very saddened when I heard the news, as I've been eagerly anticipating her comeback. But it wasn't meant to be.

Lastly, I really don't understand why people feel the need to sh*t all over someone who just died. Same thing happened here when Michael Jackson died - it's tasteless. Let the people who will miss her say so and if you happen to be glad she's dead for whatever reason, well, keep it to yourself.

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    I'm sure nobody is glad she's dead.

5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    +1. I always thought there was some near-universal social norm that said "lay off" when people died. I'm not the sensitive type, but people speaking ill of the dead still gives me the creeps. It's like when people size up minors and say things like "wow, she's gonna be hot when she grows up ..." Creepy.

6. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Amy Winehouse had two critically acclaimed albums and was in the music press years before the tabloids ever knew who she was. She was no WAG with no talent beyond publicity. "F*** Me Pumps" is a fantastic cut at these types of nobodies. Defintely worth a listen for a football fan.

7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    She did sing good enough to be noticed by the rest of the world. I am biased. Tomorrow her artistic replacement will be presented.

You always ask yourself the question what if she had survived and sobered up?

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    She made a few decent songs we haven't lost the female Bob Dylan here - you can listen to every track she recorded in less than two hours. However, I don't much care about that, really. Talented, or not talented, she was just a terrible role model and person. She was just there going 'Look I can pump my arms and nose full of these illegal things and get away with it!' If she'd have been put in prison, like any other class A drug abuser, maybe she'd still be around?

I'm not happy she's dead, or glad she's dead. I just couldn't care less. She chose to pump her body full of stuff that was killing her, and then chose not to stop doing it, so it eventually took her life. She knew what she was doing and knew the effect it was having on her health. One stand on the scales or look in the mirror would have confirmed it. Does this mean she deserves sympathy? Definitely not. Does that mean I'm glad she's croaked it? Definitely not.

The only reason I'm bothered is that her talent is going to be exaggerated over the next couple of months - it's part and parcel of musicians and death and has started happening already.

It says a lot that without her drink and drug antics she wouldn't have been half as popular as she was (in my view), and her death wouldn't have had half the coverage it has had. People love individuals making idiots of themselves while high on drugs or pissed, it's why the newspapers concentrate on such incidents. So what does it say about us as a society?

9. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'm slightly obsessive and completionist in nature. So when I like something, I research it on Wikipedia and, in the case of bands, carefully work out which albums to prioritize. After getting all their albums, I venture into the live catalogue, and from there, into bootlegs, until I can finally work out the difference between each version of songs and select the best one. This is, essentially, what I did when I was into Queen, and I can (for example) tell you that while the album version of White Queen is nice enough, the live version has an extended solo. The BBC version has the best sound quality, but the Live at Apollo ('74) has probably the most ingenious melodies. All this is essentially a big lead-up to why I've begun approaching Amy Winehouse: now that she's dead with only two albums, I can carefully work through a limited supply of her songs and find my favourites.

Anyways, I guess I was drawn in by the hype, but I'm quite surprised to find that I'm enjoying her music a lot. Smoky jazz is kind of my thing, and she was seemingly quite talented. As for the drugs and her death, I tend to agree with Barmy: it was, after all, her choice. Still a shame she's dead though.

* PS: I find myself hating her normal speaking voice. Really cannot stand that particular class of British accent.

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    According to several reports, evidently Amy Winehouse had no illegal substances in her system when she died. Not even alcohol. So it looks like she was finally trying to get her sh*t together. Unfortunately detoxing can be a big shock to the system, and Amy's must have been pretty fragile - understandably so. Just goes to show you that you can be your own worst enemy, your own tragedy. Sometimes it IS to late to turn things around. I think if she'd done a medically-supervised detox (instead of what appears to be the 'screw it, I'll do it myself' variety), I think it's highly likely she would have made it through.

Since this story has largely faded away, I think some of you guys' fears that Winehouse will be canonized in the wake of her death can be put to rest. I don't think she's gained many new fans, and it appears most people are taking Barmy's "who cares, she had it coming"* approach. I for one think she's due some credit for at least trying to get her life back.

* paraphrasing

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm a bit on Barmy's boat, but also a bit on yours.

Her songs were definitely catchy, and if I may be bold, she should definitely have her place among the greatest jazz and soul artists of all time. Remarkable since when you look at those kind of lists, they're pretty much all Black. I think her talent spoke for itself.

At the same time though ... I couldn't help but cringe whenever I heard about her binging and partying antics. And frankly, I can't make up my mind whether to feel glad or sad to hear that was what may have caused her death.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.