1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Racism in Europe?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by grillen, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Meh if we weren't racist we wouldn't have separate countries.

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Haha, interesting statement. We have different nations because of political, economical, and social/moral differences.

3. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Although they can often take on similar appearances, I think that racism and nationalism are very distinct and different.

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

They are closer than you think. A nationalist thinks his nation is superior to all others. A racist thinks the same about his race. The structur is the same. Only the subjects differ.

5. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Aren't they the very things that define a race (aside from physical features)? I also find it interesting how there is a tendency (for people) to collect into groups of "like" thinking. It happens when we're little sproglets all the way to adulthood - we make friends and we tend to form little circles. There is trepidation at first when a new member joins the group. He/she has to be accepted by other members or they're kicked out. I find this very interesting. Is it an inherent part of our biological make up? It has definite evolutionary benefits.

Anyway, back on topic. No, Europe is no more racist than any other country.

6. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

True. I'm the only Undertaker on this board and I was not posting in this thread :p

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Deyamn. What an embarrassment. Don't know what gave me the idea. Sorry, guys. Both of you. :p ;)

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, those numbers are all important to the shampoo and hair-care industry. It's not to often that linguistic categories like Caucasian, African and Asian have an impact on shampoo. But it's not only the language that's different, the hair is different to. African hair is less lipid than Caucasian, while Asian is simply a lot more, an exuberant profusion.

"Caucasian" derives it's existence from the Parenthood of Old-Greek, Latin and Sanskrit. It was a bored British jurist who discovered the parenthood. That parenthood was a big brainer all over Europe, a hot-issue and fashionable topic for academics, bored upper-class housewives abd their conversation lexica and colonial-administrators around the 1850-1900s. It was Darwin that opened an argumentative way out that allowed "whites" to still feel like something special.

If there's a bar and on the bar a sign saying:"No Italians!", that is considered "racism". Why ? Just to make a point about the silliness of using the word "race" in connection with humans instead of dogs. It also helps having not had former race-based laws, that obviously had to define race somehow and make it look like a remotely rational concept. But it's only an ephemeral description based on random circonstances.

Besides, it's not that long ago that the Italians claimed to be "ariani", a higher race than the poor others around them. And of course, as "race" is a term with no meaning, there was nothing illogical about inventing their own race for themselves. In matters of race, anything goes.

9. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Where I come from there's plenty of racism. And it's pretty sad how people say things starting with "I'm not a racist, but..."

I'd wager it's everywhere, though. The more education available, the less racism going on, probably. But still everywhere.

10. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

As concepts, they are quite distinct. Historically and in practice, I'd argue that they have typically been quite closely linked.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.