1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #86

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Just finished my homemade coctail sauce for the shrimp I am taking to work tonight for one of the girls birthdays, and it is yummy. I was pissed that I couldn't find a fresh lime at the store today, but the bottled stuff worked out OK.

2. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

@LNThinker, this is awfully late after your post, but IMHO any sentence that begins "it says in the Bible that. . ." needs to be heard quite critically.

Which Bible? Which translation? Or, if he's reading it in the original languages, which manuscript? And how does he interpret it in relation to its historical setting, literary form, canonical history . . .

You see what I mean. Though it doesn't help with your Dad. Sure wish I knew an answer to help with that part of it - but, like Biblical interpretation, it's horribly complicated.

With that gloomy note out of the way, here I am on break on Monday morning, and it is actually warmer than it has been - it's 34 F, about 1 C here this morning, and acutally likely to get warmer - up to 45 or 50, even, by the afternoon. Back the other way starting tomorrow, though.

Meanwhile, I'm still moping about no new computer. But I need to wait - late in the summer the state has a sales-tax-free day on anything related to school, including computers, and since our sales tax is so high I'll save a bundle if I can wait till then. So, let's wait and hope the old dear doesn't go belly-up on me before then.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I had a job appointment, and it was good :spin: and they want me :roll: and it would be just my thing :bigeyes: except that I'll only be notified in two weeks :(

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Congrats and hope they take you.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ah you have to love office politics. Given that I had a job interview on Friday with a follow-up with their executive on Thursday and have another interview for a different job next Monday I am somewhat free to do some sh*t disturbing in my current job.

My bosses have basically pushed down most of their job responsibilities onto my level. The executive VP in charge of our department does not want these responsibilities being pushed down to us - they are not in our job description so if we screw up they can't really hold us accountable. He spoke to the senior managers about his concerns and then had our software configured so that the access rights make it very difficult for us to perform these functions.

My silly bosses sent us an e-mail in January listing what they expect us to do. This document directly says that we are to do a lot of the things that the EVP does not want us to be doing. Why on Earth they would have been so stupid as to put it in writing is quite frankly beyond me.

As my group's representative on the software working committee I have turned around and forwarded on the e-mail to the person in charge of our software and complained that the restrictions make it difficult for us to do our job. She is constantly in communication with the EVP and is responsible for producing the reports from our software that the EVP uses. With a little luck my e-mail will land on the EVP's desk and it will look like all I was doing was complaining about the software configuration.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Office politics, yay. I've been working for years and I'm pretty street smart when it comes to that myself (as hard as it might be to believe). I'm much more so than a lot of my colleagues. My mate Steve works at the same place as me, and it works his jollies off every single day. But he doesn't make sure that his boss knows he's doing all this work and I keep telling him and telling him to make his boss aware. He just doesn't know how to do it discreetly. Whereas I do just enough work to get by and make sure my line managers are aware when I do anything not immediately on my work rota, or anything that could be called a project.

7. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

My arms, legs, and torso are quite angry at me; feet, head, and hands are still being polite, but the rest of me is just not cool with the lifting of weights.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Heh, the EVP just went by looking for my VP. It could be for something completely unrelated but I see the EVP walk by our area once in a blue moon so who knows.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    JSBB,
    on the first day at my current job I was told as rule #1 by our first boss to ignore whatever the second boss said, and instead consult our superiors immediately. I later noted why. Boss #2 is specially responsible for watering orchids, decorations, and pestering superiors that their people sit straight, or with stuff like: 'Can't we just fire him, he's so ugly?' Yes, he's gay. In fact both bosses are.

Getting the software configured so that the access rights make it very difficult for us to perform these functions sounds very familiar. The best part of it are the complaints that you work inefficiently when you're ordered to gather the data you're denied yourself. That is doubly silly, time consuming, complicated, and you end up working with different numbers, which inevitably leads to confusion. Rule #2 in our company is that requests and questions in general will be ignored, while, rule #3, that's your problem.

Ours is a marketing firm, and our so-called 'production' is basically 'sales'. That said, I am in organisation, back-office, and customer care. In my bosses world our department is a bonfire that burns money, which means we predictably face the 'you cost too much' accusation every four months.

They're cut-throats. Result of all this is a high personell fluctuation. I'm there nearly three years now, and I'm one of the very few greybacks outside IT fortress. It also means I'm battle hardened. But they eventually got me heading for the exits, too. But I take pride in making my decision myself.

10. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Nothing like covering the four basic food groups eh Kitrax? :D

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Office politics was one of the major reasons I decided to work freelance. Too many cooks spoil the broth, and too many bosses* spoil the office.

* 1 or more ;)

12. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    *cough* Still ill. :sick:

Another day off school though.

13. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Congrats Ragusa! I hope you get it! Well another day is over, I think I'll go play some Civ IV. There's a Japanese empire that needs to taste my Persian Cannon.

What? No of course we don't invade Japan solely for the oil, we'll also bring Democracy and emencipation! Silly Alexander (of Greece) We're not the bad guy here! :lol:

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

enrolling in my spanish classes in a few hours

15. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Spanish is one of the easier languages to learn I think, although I learned most of the slang before I actually got a hang of the language.

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I just droped $250 on a gold necklace for the wife for Vday. :bigeyes:

I hope she doesn't get me anything...well, maybe a steak dinner, but no presents. I can't stand this lame excuse for a holiday. :bad: :rolling:

17. Cheesegear Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ah...Today was one of those days that makes my job worth it...
    A woman was released from hospital about a week ago, and she was 'staying' at hospital (for a month or so) because she had broken both arms and both legs and was unable to look after herself. Plus she had some rehab too thanks to her sitting/lying down all day and not being able to move...Muscle Death = Bad.

Anyways, my department got a 'Thank You' card today from the lady saying that as long as there were people like us (my department) working at the hospital, then the Health Care system was alright by her. And
    Anyways, about five of my co-workers kissed me on the cheek. I thought they were playing a joke on me...Then I saw the card.

...And then there was the 'down-er' part of the day. During my tea break, some lady come in and said;
    "Hi, my name is Some Stupid Individual. Are you a Nurse."
    Me: Yes, yes I am.
    SSI: I was wondering if I could have a few minutes of your time.
    Me: Sure, what for?
    SSI: I'm from Some Stupid Magazine, and I'm doing Some Stupid Article for Valentine's Day about men who work in women's jobs.
    Me: Excuse me?
    SSI: Nursing, it's for women. I was wondering how you handled such a job?
    Me: I'm sorry, what? No, nevermind...On second thought; I am busy. Have a nice day.

Then I got up and left...I've almost never been so offended in my life.

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ouch! that's the kind of burn you don't want! :bad:

If I were you, I would have turned it around on her and started asking her all sorts of question on how she feels about women doing a "man's job". :skeptic: Some pople are really stupid. :nono: :rolling:

19. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I used to work for a lingerie company and some women were very old fashioned - "why would a male want to work in lingerie", or "I can only discuss this with a woman". Strangely enough, female customers from Saudi Arabia and UAE never gave me any problems.

20. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ahh I have to restrain myself from watching Hana Kimi...otherwise I'll laugh myself to death... :spin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.