1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #94 (aka the Cesspool of Inanity)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Beren, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Actually, I work in the deli department of a major supermarket chain. My particular specialty is 'fry cook' - taters/fries/wings/chicken pieces, as well as whole roasted chickens and convenient little 'dinner hams'...though we're starting to offer ribs so I've got other stuff in the oven, too.

In addition to those primary tasks, and preparation of same stock for retail sale in a 'cafeteria' as well as 'cleaning up after', I also lend a hand with the other deli staff - when I can - in dishing up salads and slicing meats for customers.

That's it; it's more than minimum wage, but not a lot over. The feeling that I'm actually doing something tangible and more concrete than just paperwork helps ameliorate that. :heh:

Mostly it's the co-workers that make the job likable; we're a pretty close-knit lot - the department manager really has taken efforts to meld us into sort of a family. And that makes the Regional office's decision to transfer her to another store across town particularly annoying. :rolleyes:

But it's STILL a darn sight better than working in a 'battery farm' of a call centre - the better pay wouldn't have been enough to compensate for the
    ulcer I was starting to develop from the institutional denial of my desire to actually (heaven forbid) assist callers instead of give them seven minutes of lip service and get them off the phone...

...I worry for Arabwel... :bad:

2. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Kuemp, I'm so sorry :( For your mother, I hope it's quick and painless

3. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Kuemp, you're in my thoughts, you have been since your prior post about your mom *hugs*

@ jaded empath: Ara's doing okay, I still hear from her.

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Looks like we'll have some nice weather over the weekend, allowing for a long walk in the woods. On the other hand, TV is showing the first mountain stages in the Tour de France, and I also ought to get some work done.

Work, pleasure or exercise? :hmm: Decisions, decisions...

5. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

Good; I hope she's fitting into the 'call centre' mould - I never could.

Breaking news: as of seven-thirty A.M. here, it is twenty-one degrees(!) - the local news is actually talking about this drastic increase in temperature from what seemed like early spring, to what is more usual for midsummer (a heat wave here is when it creeps past 30deg) in just a few days...

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

OMG, it's almost 85* F here! What will these poor Newfies do i nthe heat? :p

I feel like the narrator from Tell-Tale Heart. Only I can hear the scritching of the mice beneath the floor boards. :mommy:

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

As long as you don't end up like him, Kuemp.
    I have pizza, anime and a large tv to myself all night. W00t!

8. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

When I cough, my head hurts. And there's still plenty of that great green phlegm left, in case anybody wants some.

It's my seventh day sick. This sucks so much ass it's hilarious.

9. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I'm wearing Platemail and listening to Manowar. Fear me! Rawr!

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Mom is very close. She's not eating or drinking, doesn't go potty, lungs filling with fluid. Yeah.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    It's 8:55am, and I *should* be in bed sleeping right now....but nooooooooo.... I have to deal with our retarded apartment managment before I can go to bed. :bang:

Grr. :nolike: :rolling:

12. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I am in a slump. I dislike slumps as they are hard to get out of.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Its pitifuly inadequate, but I'm sorry to hear that Kuemps..

Feeling a bit better now, think I'm coming out of my cold. However I'm now being invited by some friends to get wasted at this place really near my house... tempting, but I'm afraid I'll get back to how sick I was the other day again..

14. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

SNAKES!!!!!!! our yard is filled wth snakes.i shot a grey snake 2 weeks ago ( i forget what kind he was.my wife always looks them up on the internet ),i shot a black rat snake last week,and it looks like 2 water mocasins.......mocassins.....moccasins?......it looks like 2 poisonous water snakes got away yesterday.my wife saw them,but in the time it took her to get back inside,tell me,for me to get a shotgun and go outside,they had slithered away.it makes things real bad for me.i get home from work about 11:30 pm.in this god-cursed florida,it's still so stinkig hot as soon as get out of the ac in the car,my glasses fog up,and i can't see where i'm going.i'll be stepping on snakes and not see them.if you don't hear from me again,you'll know those poisonous snakes got revenge for all their cousins i shot

15. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    @jaded - I couldn't agree more about the call center. I work in one and it is a soul killing experience. I feel as though I am being slowly poisined and turned into total cynic. Hopefully I will escape soon; I finally turned a corner and realized that keeping my sanity depends on me getting out of there as soon as possible.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I've d/l some short DnD modules. Hubby and I need something to take our minds off being helpless over Mom.

I called her this afternoon. She was mumbling mostly and I tried to keep it together - I said "hope you feel better", which sounds like a f*** thing to say to a dying person, but death would make her feel better - I told her her 2 sons were with her now and that they loved her. Why am I the medium-ghost talky person in the family?

@Dragon3 - Sounds like you need Riki Tikki Tavi. Mongooses...mongeeses...mongeese...? to the rescue! If that doesn't work, we'll take up a collection for more shotgun shells. :D

17. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

@Dinsdale
    :lol: Why do you think I'm a JADED empath? :D

But as long as you can not give a flying fig you'll do fine in that line of work, and the pay is pretty generous.

Otherwise spend your free time job hunting... ;)

18. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    My graphics card is screwed up. Most of my games dont work right now... *sigh*

19. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Look at my shiny SPS account! Yesterday during work I fainted, du to low pressure, I think at least. Now I'm pretty sure that's diabet. But, there is still hope I guess, I can't be sure before the I take those blood testes. I feel a litle nervous, I really don't want to faint again.

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Fainting doesn't mean you have diabetes. Wait for the blood work to come back.

Busy day today - baking, cleaning, laundry, massing a frontal assault on Mice HQ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.