1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #95

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Beren, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Heh...stupid phone companies. The local landline/wireless/DSL/satellite company is scared s***less of Comcast Cable. IF they try to feed me any BS, I just threaten to dump my service in favor of Comcast and suddenly, their brains begin to work, strings get pulled, and I end up happy.

But the second Verizon's FiOS (or any other fiber company for the matter) offers service to my area, I'm jumping ship. Did someone say 15Mbps? Yummy. :yum: :rolling:

2. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yay, rain stopped! May actually get my washing dried now! :banana:

Elsewhere, had this wierd feeling for a few days now, hard to describe but I just feel... wrong somehow, oh well I guess when I get home it's time for more :coffee:

3. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Heya DoTW - I have to tell you that I finally tried a Rockstar - well it was a diet Rockstar but it was pretty good. It didn't effect me very much but I think I woke up a little from the lethargy I was in on that particular day.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

My dad only gets a summons for Jury Duty about a few days after he leaves to go Moose Hunting, and is not going to be back by the time he's expected to report. It's happened about three times I think...

5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I've stopped drinking coffee...man the first day the headahce was exquisite.

6. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    mmmmm, Caffine...

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My right foot woke up an hour after I did.

8. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I haven't yet woken up, I'm just sleep babbling.

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Did you quit caffine too? You can go cold turkey on coffee, but if you go cold turkey on caffine, you'll get those fun little headaches...my suggestion is to drink Mt. Dew. :thumb: :rolling:

10. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Re the jury duty, you may be able to get a deferment, depends on the jurisdiction, call the court clerk and ask.

Ook indeed, Iku.

Well, the meeting yesterday took 2 1/2 hours to get to due to the mess on the interstate and it lasted nearly 6 hours and I was NOT HAPPY. Especially with 2 1/2 more hours to get home. In 95 degree heat. And of course the A/C was barely working where we were meeting.

Rain, please. I am told that it will rain next week, not because it is forecast, but because the county fair is next week, and it is usually ruined by rain. Hm. Hard to say how to feel about that.

Also, re the hug, thanks for the thought, but it's too hot for a hug.

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Hmm, I just had a phone pre-screening type interview for a job that I put my resume in for kind of as a joke.

My company's has a job match computer system that matches your resume to "suitable" jobs within the company. I have been matched to everything from secretarial positions, to computer programming jobs, to credit analysis jobs that require specific credit experience that I most definitely do not have.

Almost always the jobs would be below my grade level but this time I was matched to a job that is four grades above my current level. Generally speaking it is almost impossible to go up more than two grades at a time. By really stretching it my credentials and experience could match what they are looking for so I decided that I had nothing to lose by hitting the "apply for this job" button.

My phone pre-screening lasted all of 5 minutes so I am 95% certain that, with the possible exception of a rejection letter, I shall never hear from them about this job again but I guess it didn't cost me anything to try.

12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Well, I have been absent from here for quite a while. Besides that unimportant bit of news, I also have a headache. Bleh.

13. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Is Verizon FIOS worth it? My dad hates comcast, and he wants to switch to something better... FIOS seems to be the one. But I am a bit skeptical... will it actually improve our wireless speed, or only the speed to the computer that is plugged directly into the router?

14. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Oh bloody hell, here he goes again...

I'd rather drink that foul slop called root beer until I pass out and die than even consider drinking that disgusting Prestone spin-off.

I am SO looking forward to the weekend.

15. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hey! Root beer is good! Barq's, at least. It has bite, you know.

16. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

DoTW, amen to the Mt. Dew. Hate it.

ION, I am taking a mental health day off tomorrow. Thank you.

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Given the product that has got to be the oddest ad campaigns ever. Barq's is one of the mildest soft drinks out there. If anything they should be promoting it as the one without bite.

18. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

O.M.G. you are soooo OLD if you remember that, LOLZ!!!1!! {/n00b-speke}

But, wow - I haven't heard that slogan in ages. :)

-----

Keep dreamin', Naive-Boy. North America has been carved up into parcels of territory where there will be one (1) cable-internet provider (usually the cable TV provider for the area), and one (1) xDSL provider (usually the local telephone carrier for the area). Period.

So unless Verizon isn't already providing some kind of ISP in your area already, open your mouth and start breathing. "Can you hear me now?" doesn't play the "buy up the subsidiary of a 'competitor' so we can change all the rates and plans and the company name and payment addresses to trick some customers into non-payment (more $$$ for us through penalties and fees) for not reading EVERY bill with a magnifying glass, then repeat as the 'competitor' does the same to our relevant subsidiary several months later" game, so they're aren't going to be gaining any new territory.

If they ARE a provider already in your area, cool - override that respiratory system. :D

---

Now that I've gotten my jaded cynicism out, I can get on to In Other News: ;)

This morning, about two hours before my alarm would be going off, I awoke. I was awake enough to raise my head, look at the clock, process the info enough to consciously think "it's five-twenty in the morning" and then snuggled back into bed.

As I did so, I slid my hand under the pillow as sort of a 'reinforcement support' for it...and got a SEVERE sharp pain in my palm! :eek:

I bolted upright (but silently - apparently I never woke the wife) and in the dim light from the hall, I could see something dark and thin sticking out of the ball of my hand (the spot just 'in' from the thumb) that looked like a thorn or an insect stinger or something. I grasped the end, and pulled it (ouch) - all told, it was about three-quarters of an inch long (just short of 2cm), tapered to a sharp point and had a gentle curve to it; again, much like a thorn or stinger. At this point, blood was welling up from the little puncture wound, so I grumbled to myself, got out of bed and went to the bathroom.

Holding the injury site under cold running water was doing little except tinging that water pink - the cursed thing must've tapped a blood vessel. :grr:

So I grabbed some toilet paper for an ad-hoc 'pressure bandage' and started rummaging in the cabinet for sticking plasters and antibiotic cream. After treating the wound, I then turned my attention to the 'stinger'.

In the light, it turned out to be a small sliver from a curved piece of dark-smoked glass. Which puzzled the heck out of me - "How did it get under my pillow?" "Is my wife trying to kill me?" "We don't even have anything that has smoked glass in it; nor have had anything that broke!"

Then I remembered that the 'reading light' above our bed. I came home from work yesterday to be told the bulb burnt out in that fixture (which we usually use in the bedroom since it's dimmer and softer than the overhead light, and the switch is AT the bed - lazy us :D ) so I changed it. Probably there had been a bulb broken IN the fixture so a bit of glass got stuck inside the shade. Or maybe there's some kind of glass insulator in the fixture between the socket itself and the shade, and maybe that got broken at some point. But for whatever reason, my changing the bulb probably shook the sliver loose and it managed to work its way under my pillow before attacking! ;)

And yes, as soon as my darling wife showed signs of consciousness, I got her outta the bed and made a sweep over the pillows and mattress - no other bits of glass waiting to cut and puncture. :heh:

The big thing is, the location of the cut is a nuisance - I had to remove the first bandage as soon as my alarm went off since I needed to shower. Then my second bandage lasted maybe a half-hour at work before it decided it liked sticking to the inside of a disposable glove instead of my hand. :lol: Same thing happened to two more adhesive bandages taken from work's first-aid kit. :nolike: I finally gave up and simply wore a second glove under the 'main' gloves that I kept changing, and put up with the little twinges - I can still see the break in the skin is open. :heh:

---

In Weather, at least www.theweathernetwork.com was partially right with the forecast today - the thundershowers hit in late morning instead of their prediction of mid-afternoon. :p Monday? They said thundershowers as well - it turned out to be dry, sunny and just about the most pleasant day I've seen all summer. :rolleyes: Yesterday? TWN said it'd be dry but mix of sun and cloud - it rained ALL FREAKING DAY. :rolleyes:
    Well, 1/2 out of three is...well, that's REALLY bad, to be honest... :lol:

19. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    @JE, that's nasty, I had a long glass wound in my left foot (from some jerk's broken beer bottle) that never quite healed. :(

I (succesfully) installed my new DVD-drive, meaning I can play other games than Oblivion and KotOR... and watch STARGĂ…TE again.

20. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    hehe Mt. Dew Dew ... yuck.

I must say that home made icecream is very nice though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.