1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random cellphone babbling thread #1

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm not sure I actually care. Would a flip or clamshell be more practical in terms of keeping my phone safe from scratches and damage? I forgot to mention price before. That will probably be the most important factor of all, although I would like one that can last me another 3-4 years.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

[Poof, there goes my expertise]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  3. Disciple of The Watch

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have never whined about my phone. I have nothing but praise for its durability and reliability. Good old dependable Nokia 3210.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    DoTW, the thing you seem to have trouble grasping is that for the majority of people, a mobile isn't just a phone, it's also a fashion accessory. Just like I wouldn't be seen out and about wearing mucky old scraggy clothes with holes in; I also wouldn't be seen dead out and about using a phone which looks like I stole it from a building site.

Most phones do exactly the same thing, i.e. work; make calls, recieve calls, send texts and recieve texts. Realistically that's all ANYONE really needs in a phone, but in this day and age people want something that has fancy features and looks the business.

I appreciate some people couldn't give a **** what the phone looked like providing it worked, but most people are not like that dude :thumb: .

Like for me, I wouldn't be seen dead anywhere near a T39 because it doesn't have a colour display. I mean, nobody I know has a phone which doesn't play video (a lot of my time is spent sharing amusing/rude videos! Got quite a collection now :D )

6. Disciple of The Watch

7. Harbourboy

The majority of people must be idiots then. Especially since a phone spends most of its time in your pocket and the modern ones are so small that most people can't see what sort of phone you have anyway, unlike your clothes, which everyone can see straightaway.

8. Disciple of The Watch

9. Harbourboy

Still doesn't change the fact that a phone is mostly invisible. $500 phone that nobody will see vs $500 jacket that everyone will see. From a purely 'fashion' point of view, I can understand why someone would want a nice looking jacket. For phones, functionality first - looks dead last. It's like saying "I want a really fashionable looking toothbrush".

10. Disciple of The Watch

11. Disciple of The Watch

Promised it, here it is. Keep your eyes peeles, Harbs, this could just be a great phone for you.

Field Test: Ericsson T39 with Fido & Rogers

The Ericsson T39 is a tri-band (900/1800/1900) world GSM, which packs an awful lot of features in a small size.

Battery Life: Rated for 8.3 days standby/300 minutes conversation. Battery life was a bit inferior during my tests, but it could just be that the phone needs a new battery.

Signal:
    With Fido: Surprisingly good. Full signal isn't uncommon, thanks to the strong network structure.
    With Rogers: Inferior to Fido. The phone would lose signal where it would go on with Fido. The major disadvantage of having favored size over quality.

Sound quality: With Rogers, 1900 MHz is MUCH superior to 800 Mhz (which this phone doesen't have, thankfully). With Fido, it's also just as great. This phone, surprisingly, has Bluetooth. :eek:

Phone and keyboard feel: This sucker is kinda small and would be uncomfortable for someone with bigger hands. I have found the phone comfortable to hold and use, and the flip is easy to open too.

Screen: Greyscale LCD (read: B&W). The screen is easily readable even in sunlight.

Customization: The phone has an integrated ringtone composer, and can receive ringtones via SMS, Infrared, Bluetooth, data cable, or wireless web. Can also be customized with personalized logos.

Form factor: Flip (candybar-clamshell hybrid, see the pics on page 8)

Wrap-up: For what it costed me, this phone is worth it. Ericsson's signature quirky horizontal menus takes some time getting used to, but once you get used to it, it's great. A nice little phone.

Final score: 9.5/10. This phone could have used the 850 MHz band for even better service on Rogers, but since I use Fido it's kinda useless. It also has some pretty nice functions, such as the ringtone composer, and Bluetooth. I definitively dig it.

12. Harbourboy

Interesting. But who on earth are Fido and Rogers? They sound like cartoon dogs.

13. Disciple of The Watch

They are the two GSM carriers in Canada. They are part of the same company, but operate as separate entities.

They're sort of the Canadian equivalent of Vodafone.

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
  15. Disciple of The Watch

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, it looks like an IPod, which is fine with me. The phone makes very good sounding voice calls (but digital only - no analog), very good battery life (4 hours), takes a micro SD card, which I am using a 512MB and has more than 100 songs; the camera (1.3 MP) is OK, but not great, has an OK video camera (again, only OK quality); the transmitter works well (as long as it is close to the unit), and the MP3 player has an equalizer with very good sound quality. I can stream on-demand video clips (including the latest news, the "Daily Show" and the "Steven Colbert Report" and Sirrius radio stations; the controls work well and are logically arranged. Oh yes, and it has a very sharp and colorful screen.

My only complaint is that the external speaker sounds terrible (like a cell phone). The Fusic is kinda like a Swiss Army knife of technology.

17. Disciple of The Watch

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    OK, DotW, I will do so after I've had it for a while... :)

19. Disciple of The Watch

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    DotW, PC World Magazine dissagreees with your negative outlook on the Samsung T509, but that aside, I think that I am going back to the T809.

I really like how the T509 looks, but the fact that after all this time it only packs a 0.3MP camera is my biggest turnoff. Unfortunatly, I am still stuck with my crummy C225 until possibly after the wedding since money is so very tight at the moment. :bad:

Sooner or later I'l be able to get rid of this paper-weight of a phone... :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.