1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Music Post (or Random Metal Babbling)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Undertaker, Nov 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Piece of cake, Kitrax.

Death Metal: Cannibal Corpse (commercial death metal without a soul)
    Black Metal: That ****ing piece of trash known as Dimmu Borgir. I oh so hate them.

Both of these bands are wacks who value money before music. Bastards. :almostmad:

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...it seems you forgot to list a band for Thrash, Speed, and Traditional metal. :p

For shame. :shake: :rolling:

3. Disciple of The Watch

You want some more names? Very well.

Thrash (in the present case, *trash*): Metallica
    Speed: Slayer
    Traditional: Dio or Ozzy Osbourne

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

You don't like Metallica? Not even old metallica? I mean, come on, they are[\i] metal. And Thrash and Speed metal are quite similar, no? As in, Pantera can be considered both?

5. Disciple of The Watch

Old Metallica is okay. Everything after ...And Justice For All is ****ing bull****. They should have been put to death for becoming sold-out wacks.

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I really should rearrange my music folders asap - they are ovbergflowing, duplicating, and being just damn annoying :/

7. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

The difference between thrash and speed is rather miniscule and open to interpretation. I don't think Pantera is either, really. They got a pretty clear southern influence, also quite Sabbathy and even Van Halen-ish at times, and have only a handful of really fast songs. I'm not sure what to call Pantera now that I think of it.

DotW: It's refreshing to see someone *doesn't* like the black album. I find it pretty silly when people scream "heresy" at the Load albums, yet hail the black album as the ultimate metal masterpiece. The black album has a couple of good songs on it, I think, but it's clearly the first step on the commercial road. A major step. I don't think of it as old Metallica, and it's strange that so many people (metal fans) do.

Also the big outrage at the Load albums was kind of weird. I mean, what did people expect after the black album that sold more copies than all of their previous work combined? Another Kill 'Em All? Artistically, the band was ruined already.

As a side note, I've always preferred Megadeth over Metallica.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    You silly, silly people, how can you *not* like a band's music just because they "sold out"? I like all of Metallica's music up to the St. Anger album where their music just takes a 180 degree turn for the worst. Hating Metallica because of the 'Napster incident' or because they "sold out" is just insane!

This sort of thing reminds me of crummy Indie Punk bands that loose all their fans as soon as they sign a major record label. :shake:

The point is, everyone wants more money... everyone ...why should a band be hated for that? Do you all hate NBA/NFL players that make more than you to begin with, and then do some ‘Foot Locker’ commercials to get more money? :rolling:

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Fantastic question, Kitrax! I hate it when people get all snobby about artists who happen to earn good money.

10. Disciple of The Watch

Susi is right, the between thrash and speed would be material for a debate. Pantera are hard to pinpoint. They have traditional metal songs, some ballads, and some really freakin heavy ones. I would call them "traditional metal", but that would be material for a debate as well.

@Susi: I too have a profund dislike for the Black Album, which like you say, has been called an "ultimate masterpiece". Yet the commercial side began to manifest on And Justice For All, yes, I am indeed referring to "One" which got a video clip filmed, and massive playing on MTV. It was a clear clue of the changes to come. The Black Album basically marked the downfall of Metallica as a good metal band. And I too prefer Megadeth.

And hating sold out artists would indeed be material for a veryyyyy long debate. I don't really feel like arguing tonight.

11. Saber

It is easy to hate a band once they've sold out, because for metal bands to sell out is to give up their soul - their music just doesn't sound the same afterwards...

12. Disciple of The Watch

All too true. Nicely said, Saber. The most flagrant example of that would have to be Dimmu Borgir.

[ January 14, 2006, 05:53: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

13. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

OKay, I'm buying a new album today.

The choices are:

Hammerfall
    Symphony X
    Gamma Ray
    Helloween

ANyone got any thoughts?

14. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG]
    No not everyone :cool:

15. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

BTW I could post coutless names of obscure doom metal bands almost no one here heard of :p

16. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

My reason for disliking sold-out bands is not that they sold out, but how they sound afterwards. It's all about the music for me, not a principle thing. Not a "decision" to start hating something, like, "Oh I can't like this anymore because of yadda yadda." Good stuff is still good stuff. "Selling out" kills the art, makes the music sound soulless (lke Saber said) and made not for any artistic, creative reason but just to please the masses, and that results in bad music. As for the Napster thing, hell, I think Metallica was right with that one (principle thing), and it was a brave thing to do it despite all the bull they had to endure for it. But even if I didn't think so, I'd still like their (old) stuff.

The One video was indeed an indication of going the commercial way. Musically speaking I don't think the song itself is that, neither the ...And Justice For All album, but the video edit butchered the song. I hate edits. And being willing to let their song get butchered like that doesn't sit well with me.

Daie d'Malkin: go for Gamma Ray, I say.

17. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

There wasn't any Gamma Ray, unfortunately, so I've got the latest Hammerfall album, and the Sisters of Mercy greatest hits.

18. Saber

Andols is back! Chimaira has their drummer from Impossibility of Reason back! YAY! He's a kickass drummer, and hopefully their next CD will be like Impossibility of Reason (thrash, mostly).

And the bassist of Terror left because First Blood got signed by Trustkill, so they're looking for a new bassist.

19. Disciple of The Watch

Speaking from experience, not just everyone wants more money. Back in the days in my band, everything went well until the moment we begun writing our very own songs. That's when the band divided. Our guitarist and drummer both wanted to take a clearly commercial turn, which would basically ended us up as commercial soulless death metal such as Cannibal Corpse. The bassman and I, however, didn't gave a flying **** about commercial success. We just wanted to do what we loved - death metal.

We did many shows, and it was everything but lucrative. But it was satisfying to do what we loved. The difficulty of finding a new guitarist and drummer not hellbent on commercial success proved pretty difficult, and eventually, we laid the project to rest.

And if I really am out there for more money, I'll find some other way than killing the soul of our music.

20. Saber

Grr, trying to get my band together is tough... we all know the song we first want to start playing together, but its difficult to get all of us together. Plus we need a vocalist. None of us can do the type of screaming we want to sound like... the drummer can sound like the deep screamer from Red Chord, and I can occasionally do Bury Your Dead, or something, but we want a more tough guy Hardcore sound (like Throwdown).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.