1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rangers are better than paladins!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tyresian, May 21, 2001.

1. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Magga Cammara, all this fuss over a couple of different classes, they both have good and bad points in them in places. And furthermore, Elves maybe a more noble and skilled race but Humans have greater numbers, and a much greater versatility, elves & humans are akin to one and another as well, thats why there are half-elves.

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] ... in the same way as orcs and humans are akin to one another since there are halforcs?

I'm not sure that explanation for humans and elves will hold for a close scrutiny. ;)

3. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Wow, I don't see the board for a while and then this thread pops up. This is a good one...
    Well, I'm a Ranger, a Ranger/Cleric actually, and I love Paladins. I think of Paladins as an urbane, sophisticated Ranger, if anyone understands what I'm saying. The Ranger is the guy who dislikes too much structure and obligation, but likes a bit of hardship and chooses his tasks according to an internal compass and a sense of justice and fairness born no doubt of the natural laws found in the FR. The Paladin, on the other hand, is a noble sort, an aristocratic combatant trained in both the ways of swordplay and magic. Dispelling magic, healing and protecting from evil, a great combination even at low levels. The Paladin knows his way through the streets and alleys of a city, the corridors of power and cellars of intrigue in a city, just as the Ranger knows the time of day by the length of the shadows and the type of creature making tracks in an area of wilderness. If you ask me, and no one did, I say Paladins and Rangers both rock, and they should unite so as to inform pure Fighters that they need to get a life. They are boring...

[This message has been edited by Orkrist the Cleaver (edited May 23, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Orkrist the Cleaver (edited May 23, 2001).]

4. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If killing is not an option for a good character, then why do paladins get weapon proficencies. Let's just walk around defenceless and let us shine me friends! :D ...nope...

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Tyresian, I think your racist rant indicates you´ve missed your class - how about an lawful evil fighter-thief ? He offers you more that just stealth and about the same weapon proficiencies: This way you can live your ignorant and racist mentality in the game.

Remember Keldorn and the beggar in government district? He protects him from being inprisoned for begging.
    And about Viconia: Detect evil and you´ll find out she actually *is* evil. Some may try to convert her, but that´s more a priests job than a pally´s and even mighty Sir Belisarius finally gave up when she ran away when he reaced rep-18 iirc.

And Vicsum: paladin´s aren´t fanatic - they are lawful good. priests, of any alignment are fanatic, they seek to convert people for their deity. You clearly don´t understand the forces of rightousness ;)

6. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Now that people mention it i do seem to be slipping from my alignment. It all started after that nasty little last confrontation with bohdi... I don't know why but now the sun hurts my skin... my teeth don't seem to fit my mouth... and why am i finding jaheira to look soooo tasty....

(and i am not racist, notice those several smileys after that comment?)

[This message has been edited by Tyresian (edited May 23, 2001).]

7. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I just had to clear this up.
    Shura the Kensai is Neutral Good in alignment.
    It's just that he has seen too many atrocities being committed by paladins and clerics in the name of their gods.
    He has witnessed the cold-hearted slaughter of a dozen drow children by some paladins of Helm. Peasants who could not afford to pay their tithes to the Temple of Lathander were branded heretics and burnt alive, man, woman and child. He broke into the 'interrogation' chamber of the Radiant Heart once before. What he saw there turned his hair white forever at the ago of 16.
    After being overwhelmed and captured by a band of holy knights, he was sentenced to be tossed into the abyss. Powerful Clerics tore a hole between the planes and Shura, weaponless, was tossed to the waiting claws of the ta'naari. They hadn't counted on his survival, his role in the Blood War and the patronage of a demon prince.
    20 years passed before he could return to Faerun, stronger, deadlier and with new demonic powers. His alignment remains the same, however, but now he views paladins as oppressors of the weak and seeks to avenge both himself and the world upon them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.