1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC: Bayne - The Road to Griffon's Nest

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Baldak Oakfist, Aug 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Darius mounted his horse, turned toward the west and rode off. "Keep a sharp eye out for any tracks that may prove worthwhile in locating some game. I have heard tell that the Dwarves of Mithril Hall are fond of both Vennison and Wild Boar." Keep an eye out for more gnolls too, he thought ot himself.

2. herf Guest

The young ranger kept his eyes downcast, but not looking for animal trails, he felt more than sure that Darius could look for both of them. He kept his eyes downcast because he was thinking, he had gone from wandering naked in a forest after ebing robbed to saving a small town, th thought just wouldnt click in his mind. At least he wasnt trpped here with Darius, he knew he could walk away at any time...and that was the good bit.

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Traveling at the much reduced pace, It was still not easy for Darius to spot tracks on this hard packed ground. The two were fast approaching the area of Mithril Hall, the Mountains were but a short distance away now. Darius had finally spotted what he wanted, the tracks of a wild boar. But there were other tracks present as well. It would seem that this particular boar was being hunted already. Darius, got off the horse and kneeled at the tracks. "I have found boar tracks," he commented to Bayne. "It would appear that this boar is very unlucky today. Not only will it have to contend with us, there is a large humanoid tracking it as well. I can't tell what kind though, it has boots on."

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 11, 2001).]

4. herf Guest

Jerking his head up at the words Bayne listened intently at the thought of the tender boar...
    After the ranger had finished talking Bayne answered by shrugging and turning his horse towards the tracks.
    Riding as fast as his ability to follow the tracks would allow, Bayne thought about the "humanoid" that was tracking his prey...hopefully it would be a good battle.

5. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Riding along, the two did not have to wait long to find what they were tracking. Ahead they could easily see the Verbeeg, carying a rather large Boar over his shoulder, heading toward them. Darius turned his horse behind a small grove of trees and dismounted, pulling out his long bow, he moved to the front of the grove and took aim. The Arrow flew true, and hit the giant in the arm. (roll of 17 (+7 to hit for a total of 24) damage 7).

Initiative roll 14 (+2 modifier for a total of 16.)

OoC: The Verbeeg is 100 feet away, and will not notice the two until hit by the arrow.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 13, 2001).]

6. herf Guest

(ooc i used a dice roller on my own computer, if its wrong then just tell me and you can roll it)

init- 4+7= 11

Seeing darius fire his arrow at the great Bayne realised he had no weapons that could reach that far. Thinking for a few seconds Bayne came up with a plan, he would attack the Verbeer from behind and surprise him like he did with the goblins...
    Reaching behind him he pulled out his rapier, such a beautiful sword it was, maginificently carved along the hilt and blade, twould be worth a fortune to any trader. The blade was so light that it was easier to wield than any other weapon Bayne had ever held.
    walking off to the right in the undergrowth Bayne circled around the Verbeer...

(ooc, all that ok?)

7. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

The Battle had begun. The Verbeeg, feeling the sting of the arrow shot by Darius, dropped the boar and proceeded to move at top speed toward the small grove which Darius was in. Bayne having moved around to the side, was in position to strike from the rear. Daruis was able to fire two more arrows into the Giant before it reached his position. Meanwhile, Darius had coame out of his hiding place and began to strike at the Verbeeg with his rapier. The Verbeeg, sensing Darius as the more dangerous of the two, concentrated his attacks on the older ranger, lucky for Bayne. Darius was having little luck in penetrating the devenses of the verbeeg, and Bayne was slowly whittling it down. The Verbeeg had scored several hits on Darius, and feeling the toll of the giants blows, Darius went on the defensive, and quaffed several potions to help keep him alive. Bayne had reduced the giant considerably, when the Verbeeg missed Darius with his final blow. Darius seized the moment and struck the final blow on the giand. Bayne then fmade sure that the Verbeeg was dead, while Darius used the opportunity to heal himself more.

Darius turned to Bayne. "Well, I'm glad that he's dead. Normally, I would have used hit and run tactics on such a large creature. Having you along has allowd me to discover that I'm not a very good swordsman. I guess I'll have to dedicate some training to that."

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 15, 2001).]

8. herf Guest

Bayne look up at the older elf and smiled, then after some banter and a few pieces of food the two set off again on horseback with the boar draped over the back of Bayne's horse, "Hopefully when we reach this place there will be someone who might train me to use this horse," Bayne thought to himself, "Maybe if we catch some more beasts they might do it for free." With this thought in his head Bayne keeps his head down looking for any tracks of animals that could be roasted and eaten...
    "How long be it now from our destination Darius?"

9. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Darius pointed toward the mountains. "Well, those are the southern most peaks of the Spine of the World. Over there you can see the Mountain known as Five Peaks. It is there that we will find the entrance to Mithril Hall. I would say that we will be there with two hours." Darius wondered if his father's good name would be enough to allow them entrance in to the underground city. He would need to resupply with food at least, and it would be nice to convert some of their findings into gold.

10. herf Guest

Bayne's face lit up with delight at the news, finally they were going to reach their destination, but after that they had a long trek to the nest, their final destination.
    "Exactly hwo well known be your fathers name here at this Mithril Hall? Me and my friends were bands of adventurers in a way and we had never heard of your father, what makes you think these people will have?"
    Bayne sped up his horse to get to their destination faster.

(Ooc- Baldak, if this is to much bother to carry on ill understand, i know your dming two games now and mine makes three, if you want we could cancel this, i wouldnt mind.

[This message has been edited by herf (edited September 21, 2001).]

11. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

OoC: Herf, This is no bother, I have just been working alot lately, and have not had a chance to post much. But it is up to you.

Darius, releived to have finally arrived at the entrance to Mithril Hall, sighed. "I was afraid that my directions were faulty." The entrance was well hidden, marked by a circle of stones. Darius rode up to a nearby cliff and dismounted. "This is where we get off, so to speak. Horses will not do very well in the caverns of Mithril Hall, but I understand that the Dwarves have a stables of sorts on the upper level." At this, Darius spoke a few words in dwarven, carefully memorized and a door into the cliff opened up. Two dwarven guards appeared. Darius pulled out a letter and handed it to the guards. "This will take a few moments as they check on our identies."

12. herf Guest

(Ooc - i had to re-boot my computer and i lost everything, do you have a copy of Bayne? i dont even have the character generator yet but i need a copy of bayne)

Bayne dismounted his horse and listened to Darius mumble in some incomprehensible language.
    "Wow," Bayne mumbled under his breath as a huge doorway appeared in the side of the mountain. He had heard stories of the technology of the Dwarves but this was a marvel.
    Bayne stared dumbfounded at the hole in the mountain as Darius handed over the letter and the gurads read it, he looked round at the guard as the guard started talking...

13. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

"Well it would seem that we are in luck. I guess that my father is known here." Darius leaves his horse with one of the guards and follows the other into the mountain. Inside, the rough walls of the entry chamber gradually smooth out as the hall is followed. The hall ends at a platform looking out over a gigantic cavern. Lights can be seen dotting the walls and floor. As Darius is observing the cavern, the platform begins to decend slowly.

OoC: I will send it out tonight.

14. herf Guest

(Ooc - Thank you)

As the lift descended Bayne was wrought with terror, "The ground is falling!"
    With this scream he drops down to his belly and grips the floor, it takes a few moments for Darius to calm him down.
    "Who could make such a contraption?"
    Covered in sweat and looking around him an anger rose up in Bayne, "They ahve destroyed that natural beauty of this mountain and filled it with contraptions and metalwork, tis not normal, IT IS A DISGRACE TO NATURE!"
    Bayne, after considering his mood, stands behind Darius and doesnt say another word lest he attacks the beasts that created the monstrosity.

15. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

The platform stopped and the dwarves lead the two through a passageway and into a large hall. Darius thanked the dwarves and now he and Bayne were on their own. The large hall was a market place of sorts, many tables were set up with various food products and other wares displayed. "Well, we are in. The Guest rooms are through that side passage over to the left. I think I will secure us a room for the night."

16. herf Guest

Bayne walked through the market with a glazed look on his eyes, these thick bodied dwarves were talking in a strange tongues he couldnt understand. Trying to buy or sell goods was a useless task as he could not understand anything they said.
    After a few hours of desperate attempts at conversation Bayne made his way to the corridor Darius has said led to the guest rooms, spotting Darius waiting for him Bayne greeted him.
    "Hail, these people are...queer to say the least, their products are strange and the tongue they speak in is peculiar, getting out of this hell-hole is high on my list. Now, where are our rooms?"

17. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Seeing Bayne's uneasiness, Darius brought the elf quickly to their room. Inside, the room had a window looking out on a peaceful meadow. The scene was magical of course, but was enough to remove the feeling that they were underground. "I know that you are having trouble with the being underground thing, I have some similar feelings. It is taking all my will to overcome them. Hopefully this room will help. If you want anything from the market, just ask and I will go and try to find what you want."

18. herf Guest

Looking out of the window brought a little peace to Bayne's angry heart, watching the flowers and grass blow in the wind was calming and soothing, the only thing that ruined it was the little glimmer of black every so often which only served to remind Bayne of their placement.
    "Ummm, no thank you Darius, just looking at the cusine here is enough to remove my hunger, I think twould be better if I ate some rations."
    Bayne removed a small package from his backpack, removed the leaf covering and started chewing on the thick chunky contents.
    He held it up to Darius and smiled, showing he was enjoying it.
    "How long are we required to stay here? I don't mind staying a while if we can find something to occupy our time but if we have nothingt o do here when could we leave?"

(OoC - when we defeated those gnolls did we loot the bodies? i cant remember if we did or not)

19. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

"We will only stay long enough to rest and resupply our provisions. I think I will see if I can get a few more healing potions. I have almost used up my supply. We will be leaving in the morning."

OoC: Yes you did loot the Gnolls. The booty is posted above.

20. herf Guest

"Darius whilst your out buying your potions could you please sell the items we got from the Gnolls, our hard work may as well pay off, that fight was a bloody one.
    Half the share is rightfully yours and as I'm not short of gold I feel you spend as much as you please on Healing Potions..."
    Bayne didnt mind Darius buying healing potions as a lot of them would be used on Bayne himself...
    Bayne stared out of the window trying not to notice the flaws appearing every so often in the grand landscape, "If only this was real, then this place wouldn't be so bad...I might even like it here if they had some real gardens like these, but no, these little bastards have wounded this mountain in their search for technology."
    Bayne worked himself into a frenzy, and to stop him from murdering a dwarf or somesuch he threw himself onto the bed and gripped the hard pillow tight to his chest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.