1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC No America (Wed)- Mystery of the Claw Tattoo

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Baldak Oakfist, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

"Bah, even if it is a trap we will kill anyone trying to ambush us as easily as we've killed everyone else who has tried to kill us before. I say we follow the map."

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Nimbul nods in agreement at Gaspar's suggestion..."At the very least, we may learn more about our foes..."

OOC: I hope to re-join the party tomorrow night, but a few friends are having a little get together for me...I may be late or I will re-join next Wednesday if I don't show up tomorrow - sorry.

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The discovery of the map gave the group a means to further investigate this mysterious cult. They returned to the Trumpet to gather their horses and head out toward Turnstone pass. They would need to follow the Turnstone Pass Road for about 20 miles, then turn south toward the Nether Mountains for another 10 miles. This was the location of a cabin where the would-be assassin was to pick-up his promised reward.

As the party furthered their distance from the city, the number of travelers on the road diminished until they were about 12 miles out. At this point they were the lone travelers on the road. Vall, periodically checked the road for tracks from this point on, but found nothing unusual. They reached the turning point, and moved off to the south. They had traveled for about a half hour when they came upon some sort of humanoid tribal marker. Vall recognized the orcish symbols and the party continued with a heightened sense of caution.

A short distance further along, and Knomal noticed a rather large humanoid figure traveling ahead of them, following the tree line. When the party reached a point about a mile from the location of the cabin, they could see smoke rising above the trees ahead. Vall decided to scout ahead. He came upon the cabin, but not as they expected. It had been attacked and burned. Several charred remains of humanoids could be seen within the ashes, and one human was skewered to a nearby tree by a Huge Great Spear. Vall noticed the giant sized tracks easily that lead off to the south. He returned to the party location, and they all approached the burned out building.

Gaspar could see a figure lurking in the trees just to the south of the cabin, and the party made ready for an attack. An attack that was not to occur. Instead, a very large humanoid creature stepped out from the trees, holding a white piece of cloth. This was Gringall, the chieftain of the local Verbeeg clan. He wanted to parlay with the party and indicated a tree near which they could all sit down. The party approached with caution but their fears were soon put to ease. Gringall’s clan had in fact attacked the cabin outpost of the cult. He explained that the “Blue Arrows,” as he called them, had been trying to get Gringall’s clan to join up with them. When he refused, they attacked the clan severely injuring many of the clans best warriors with insipid poisoned arrows. The clan struck back, killing many of the attackers. He further related that their shaman had discovered a natural treatment for the “sickness” that was the result of the poison. A concoction of Juniper Root boiled in ale seemed to aid in the recovery process. He further informed the party that many of the other clans had already joined with the cult, but he would not. He also indicated that the cult was possibly allied with several Blue Dragons, or served them at least. Gringall, sensing that the party could be trusted, gave Knomal a token with the clans symbols etched on it. This would mark them as friend to the Raven Claw Clan of the Nether Mountain Verbeeg. He also indicated that when the clans warriors were well, they would ally with the party in their efforts against the Brotherhood of the Claw, Order of the Blue Claw. Gringall departed, returning to his clan.

Gaspar and Knomal searched the ruins of the cabin, and found a bone scroll case, protected by several runes.

A map with the location of the cabin and the location indicated by Gringall to be the location of the Brotherhood’s stronghold can be seen at: http://home.attbi.com/~baldak/LowResImages/Turnstone_Pass.jpg

4. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Vall:

Can anyone in the party identify these runes? I have a feeling that they are not of the wilderness.

5. Hm... Can I take a look at those ruins?

OoC: Knowledge: Arcana or Knowledge: Religion?

6. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

The two runes on the scroll case are designed to guard the case. One will cause damage to the one opening the case without first deactivating it, the second one destroys the contents of the case if not deactivated. The nature of the damage is unknown until the runes are set off. A rogue with disable device could deactivate the runes on a successful skill check. Two separate checks would need to be made, one for each rune. The downside is failure sets off the rune in question. A wizard could deactivate the runes with two successfully cast spells, Erase or Dispel Magic. The second option will not set off the runes is not successful.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited March 08, 2002).]

7. Nimbul, would you like to unlock these runes for us?

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Why certainly!!! You guys may want to stand back though....<< Nimbul cracks his knuckles...and takes a look at the runes>>

*** Baldak - Should I roll someplace and post my roll here? Let me know! ***

9. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

A shroud of flame enveloped the halfling as he attempted to bypass the runes. Singed, but not dead, Nimbul was able to bypass the rune designed to destroy the contents of the case, so all was not lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.