1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC: No America Wed - The Shrine of the Hydra

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Baldak Oakfist, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Thank you Serena, but you shouldn't have wasted a spell upon me. It was just a scratch.

Nimbul wait for me please.

2. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Mathetais flexed his shoulders and felt the aches and pains slip from him. Offering a prayer of thanksgiving to Corllen Larenthon and a smile of thanks to Serena, he drew his blade and stepped next to Nimbul.

ooc - Does anyone have a Non-Demo version of Character Gererator? I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the money (plus I have no clue where or how to get it! ;) )

4. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Mathetais,

Master Tools has not yet been released, thedrefore there is no "Non-Demo" version. Asfor deciding whether it is worth buying, well, it is not available as stated earlier. One of the enthusiasts on the Wizards of the Coast Boards has found a way to update the Data files and added many of the new stuff from the Guidebooks. If you have any further questions regarding this e-mail me or see me in the chat room, when I'm there.

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] ooc - I am finally leveling up my character. I will e-mail it to you this morning.

ic - Mathetais examined a dropped sword from the undead guardians that they had vanquished, and sliced it through the air a few times, testing its balance and heft and wondering if it contained some sort of enchantment or suprerior workmanship. (nb I had sensed evil on the gear in a previous post)

Turning to Nimbul he smiled and asked, "If you remember the way back to the cocoons, we can search them."

"I wonder if we have begun the "Test of the Elements" yet or if the worst is still to come." Praying to his Lord for protection, he stepped into the hallway and joined his halfling friend in his search.

6. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

13 Eleint

Following the fire in the hallway, and having been healed up somewhat, the group decided to explore the area behind the door with the inscription over it, checking out the spider lair first. Having found the remains of three backpacks in the spider room, containing 50 gold, 3 gems, and a necklace, they approached the door. Kitiara decided that this would be a good time to check out the armor that was being worn by the elven mage. She donned the Fine mesh metal shirt, and gave the Ring of Natural Armor +2 to Iris. Having checked for traps and finding none, Nimbul opened the door revealing a hallway 20 feet wide and 85 feet long. Located every 20 feet, beginning at the 15 foot point, were a pair of statues. The statues depicted barbarian shamans with their hands in front on them cupped and holding something. Each pair held a different element. The first pair held fire, which seemed real, the second ice, the third earth, and the last was holding what looked like a miniature tornado. Following the hallway, the party could see that the area opened up into a large chamber, inside could be seen an altar. Nimbul noticed a basin at the base of each statue on the east wall, but the party could not figure out what they were for, so Mathetais began to walk toward the altar. As he got closer to the first set of statues, the fire in their hands intensified, until he passed them, at which point two balls of fire were launched toward him. Failing his save, Mathetais was damaged for about a third of his hit points. He then approached the next set of statues. Upon getting near to them, the ice in their hands began to glow blue. At this point, Mathetais decided to stop. Placing a lit torch in the first basin did not seem to do anything, so Kitiara poured in some water from her water skin, the fire went away. Approaching the next basin, the torch was placed in this one, and the Ice turned a dull gray. At the next statue, the group was stumped until Nimbul noticed a small leaf just outside the basin, all dried. At this, Kitiara placed some fresh herbs into the basin, and the earth mounds flattened. In the last basin, Mathetais tried some dirt from the floor, which seemed to slow the whirlwinds, but they did not subside. Serena then placed some sling stones into the basin, at which point the whirlwinds subsided.

The chamber beyond was 80 feet wide and 60 feet deep, with a sacrificial altar located in the center. Judging by the chains, the sacrifices were live. On the far side of the chamber, were two huge doors made of steel, each was 2o feet wide and 25 feet tall. Iris and Mathetais noticed a secret door on the east wall, and the party investigated it. Nimbul noticed a pressure plate on the wall, and as it was pressed, a 10 foot wide section of the wall swung open on a pivot. Behind it was a room 20 feet by 30 feet, with a large wheel like device in the center, much like the devices used to raise an anchor. Wrapped around this device was a chain which entered the north wall through a 5 inch hole. Kitiara closed the secret wall while Mathetais and Gaspar turned the wheel. From the inside, some sort of magic mirror was imbedded into the wall which allowed those inside the room to see and hear what was going on in the large chamber. As the two turned the wheel, the large double doors opened up. At first nothing happened, then loud footsteps could be heard. After a short wait, the beast entered the chamber. Dragon-like in appearance but without wings and having eight heads, the hydra entered the chamber. It was a huge beast, 64 feet in length, and rising to a height of over 20 feet. The heads were four different colors, two red, two purple, two brown, and two blue. The party waited in the hidden room until the creature exited back to its lair, then closed the giant doors.

Leaving this area, the party decided to resume the search of the hallway areas. Around the corner where the spiders were found, the hall turned north. It continued on for another 170 feet, with doors on each side. On the east side there were 6 doors, 4 on the west. The group approached the first door and noticed several things. These doors opened out and there was a bar-like locking mechanism holding each one closed. The bar extended into the door jamb and it was attacked to another bar, which could pivot. Seeing no way to move the bar, and brute force not working, Mathetais and Gaspar decided to take out the battering ram again. With that, the bashing commenced. After the 10th try, the door finally split in two pieces, falling into the room. The chamber was obviously a cell. In the corner were the skeletal remains of a humanoid, still chained to the wall. When the party reached the second door in the hall, they discovered two levers on the wall, one on each side. Pulling down on the lever, the combined weight and strength of Mathetais and Gaspar was able to move the lever and unlock the cell doors on each side. All the cells contained from one to five skeletal remains, all chained to the walls. In the second to the last cell on the west side, Nimbul noticed a secret panel, opening to a tunnel. The tunnel lead to the cavern of the hydra. The session ended with Nimbul and Jager returning from their exploration of the tunnel.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited November 15, 2001).]

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Mathetais gathered his friends around him and took a moment to look them all in the eye. Every fiber of his being wanted to rid the world of the evil that the Hydra represented. Yet the thought of Kitiara, Iris or Serena lying dead in the monsters teeth made his heart turn to ice. There was no telling what sort of magical powers or even breath weapons this fell creature had at its disposal. The thought galled him, but he may need to report this creature to Lord Jullian, and return with his mentor and a company of knights to destroy it ... later.

Finally able to speak, he said in a clear voice, "This secret passage affords us an opportunity to get around the hydra, but we need to plan this to the last detail or our lives will be the cost."

"The hydra seems very powerful but did not seem to move with much urgency or speed. This does not mean that it isn't capable of bursts of great speeed, but hopefully we can assume that unless it is aroused, we can count on its lethargy.

"We need to find something to place on the altar that will attract this fiend's attention. Perhaps the bones combined with some of our rations will do the trick, but I wish we could find a recently killed orc or orog. . .

"Then, we can have a team of 2 (probably Nimbul and Gaspar as they are the fastest, most able to hide, and Gaspar is the strongest ... though I despise sending anyone but myself into this sort of danger) to the "wheel room" to open the double doors and let the hydra out.

"The trick now is to get the doors closed and trap the hydra in the altar room. Nimbul, maybe you could sneak back through the secret passage and see if there is a tripping mechanism on that side of the doors. That would be a God-Send.

"If not, Nimbul and Gaspar will have to wait until the Hydra is at the far end of the chamber, near the altar, snap the doors shut, and run for your lives out. It looks to be 60 feet, which you should be able to cover in a sprint before the hydra has time to respond.

"Once the hydra is locked out, we will be able to explore the area beyond the double doors.

"Before we begin this a few items.

"First, we need to explore the rest of this area, who knows what other secret rooms or passages we might find and how they might help us save our lives.

"Secondly, we need to prepare for the worst possible outcome, namly, that we will have to fight the hydra. It might do us well to give the mages and cleric time to meditate and refresh their spells ... perhaps while Gaspar, Nimbul and I explore the rest of the empty rooms. (Actually, I could use some healing, so the rest might do me some good also) I would recommend any protections against the elements, as well as your most damaging offensive spells.

"We also should set up some defensive positions in and around the altar room. Look at our map ... see how the room bottlenecks where the satues begin? The best defensive position would be in and around the statues.

"Nimbul, are you skilled in setting traps? Against an unknown opponent like this, I would have no qualms with rigging a nice suprise for it, especially if it would be something able to give you and Gaspar that extra second you may need to clear the room."

8. Serena Lynx Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Serena nods approvingly, then after a moment of thought she says, “We could use the “Wand of Invisibility” on Mathetais and Gaspar and have them run back into the castle and get us a couple of ogres/orcs (dead or alive). Then drag them back here and chain them to the alter.”

“Then we can use the wand on everybody, try to trap the Hydra in here, and try to sneak past it like Mathetais suggested.”

“Oh, and resting before we do all this would be a good idea. Like Mathetais said, `we need to prepare for the worst possible outcome.’”

OoC: Should I maybe pray for “Burial Blessing?” ;)

9. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

FYI: The Map has been updated to reflect your recent investigations.

10. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

On the map there is a corridor we have yet to explore. It seems to be leading in the direction of the hydras lair also. Maybe we should also check out that section.

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I agree Kit ... my assumption is that the corridor will match the prison cells we just explored, but who knows what we might find ...

Can we agree to rest right here since this is a very defensable position, and then prepare to explore the West branch?

[This message has been edited by Mathetais (edited November 16, 2001).]

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Your plan sounds good to me. Let's finish exploring the the area, then go with the hydra!

13. Agreed. (Probably because I can't figure out any other better plan)

14. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

After a short discussion of all options, the party decided to explore the other hallway. 20 feet past the room where the Baneguards were located, the hall turned north. 30 feet up on the left was a door, and 20 feet further on the opposite side was another. The hall ended 10 feet past the last door. Approaching the first door, Nimbul checked for traps, and the door was not locked. Nimbul opened the door revealing a vaguely humanoid creature with gray skin drawn tightly over its bones. Mathetais charged into the room and yelled "Die foul creature of the nether regions." With that he attacked. The creature and the Paladin fought, while the rest of the party aided Mathetais. The creature fell, having never successfully hit Mathetais. The room was a kitchen of sorts. Kitiara discovered a secret door on the west wall. it opened revealing a small room with the north wall resembling that of a cavern.

All party members get 150 Experience points.

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Let that be a lesson to all the evil creaturs lurking in the kitchens of the world!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.