1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC Tyrot: Red sand

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Oaz, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

"I have this handy little... spell avalible, which stops people from lying. Of course, they would know it's there so they could just choose not to tell me things, but I'm sure with your great charm we could get some truthful answers."

2. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

"I like the sound of that, Yrinnyn." Ratchett glances towards the other captive, "Let's hope this blighter really has slept through the interrogation."

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The thinner captive mumbles, "We only know what Gedfor knows. Honest. But you separate us if y'want." He continues to stare at the ground.

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Tanari rises and whispers to Cugaer as he looks at the prisoners.
    "Look at them, like miserable sinners. Either they're very fine actors or they're having some serious mental defeat of being alive and captured. They have no pride, I doubt they know more. As for the lady Darya, she might know.."

He nods at Yri, in agreement.
    "Good idea, if they do know something I guess it will show. What are we to do them afterwards however?"

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    "Just let me have a little talk with them afterwards. As for what to do with them now, I doubt too that they know anything more, but they may well not realise something of importance. Not that they look like they didn't have much experience with investigation and prosecution. I also need a few questions from each single one in separation for the purpose of the little talk I'm going to have with them afterwards" You could now swear Yrinnyn is a malicious maths teacher like the one that still comes in your nightmares...

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Tanari summons a faint smile,
    "As long as they're not harmed, you can say whatever you wish to them."
    Turning to look at the men, he mutters lowly,
    "Remorse shall fill your mind, and dirt your sight."

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31

(Okay, which one will Yrinnyn first talk to?)

8. chevalier

Media:
    Gedfor goes first, then the rest. One by one (under Cugaer's spell, please ;) ). Questions are asked about name, rank, affiliation with the bosses, who was hiring, who was paying, how much, what were the duties, terms, conditions, limitations etc, how long they served, rewards and punishments. Each one faces the same set of questions and is asked about the other two guys and questions are formed in such a way as to cooperate with a spell detecting deliberate falsehoods and not to give any opportunity for misleading answers whereby true is withheld without lying. Of course, the question "Are you telling me everything?" returns pretty often as well as "Is it possible that you haven't noticed something?", have forgotten something, etc. Suspicious fragments are investigated promptly and properly, clarifications asked about any interesting bits etc etc. Diplomacy checks for wording purposes if needed, sense motive checks if needed. Yrinnyn speaks relatively fast and there aren't any pauses between questions. As little time as possible is given to recall details in order for the men to be unable to gather their thoughts.

Special questions for the purposes of the little talk afterwards are their religious persuasion, what they were paid to do to the party, if they would actually do that (especially killing, robbing, maiming etc), if they would do that now if they had the oppurtunity, if they regret, if they killed innocents before, what they are planning to do, what would they do if they were set free, if they had families, wives, children etc. Also one by one, but this time it's more like a conversation than investigation, but Yrinnyn makes sense motive checks and detects evil. Yrinnyn is saddened by each answer that falls on the dark side and is concerned, especially when the subject of families, children and honest work is approached or of regret and future plans, but he is far from patting them on the shoulders and saying it's OK. Those poor sinners need to be shown the way.

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Yrinnyn:(Goodness, Chev, that's quite a mouthful; try to space things out a bit more in the future.)

Gedfor and his other two companions, Culher and Fert, give the same information as Gedfor. They say that several priests from Mesharr hired them, and that they were paid to steal, mug, and even kill people, and give most of the loot to the Ferylites. They were also paid some coins; the pay was larger than what they had previously been earning. The trio also had various other tasks, such as delivering messages and guarding priests on various excursions.

The three seem a bit uncomfortable, as if they fear retribution if they divulge too much. Still, they claim to be telling everything they know, however, and Yrinnyn's shrewd perceptions, nor Cugaer's magic, can discern any lies.

They name one or two priests, but no one can identify them.

(Sense Motive check: 9 + 5 + 2 = 16)

The trio confesses that they have "broken an arm or three" in the past. However, they beg to be forgiven and not be killed, reminding Yrinnyn of Tanari's promise of clemency.

All three register as evil. However, they simply ask "to be given a second chance." Still, it's apparent that they're not going to be honest, hardworking laborers the sudden the PCs release them. They say that they do not have families or children; they are all single men.

It is still apparent that they are telling everything (more or less) to the truth.

(Sense Motive check: 12 + 5 + 2 = 19)

(Yrinnyn gains a +2 circumstances on his SM checks because of the captives' position.)

The interrogation lasts four minutes, that being the duration of Cugaer's spell.

Tanari: It is apparent that they are/were bandits (after saying "ba-").

(Wisdom check: 15 + 1 = 16)

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

A little while after the 'interigations' finished Cugaer finally speaks.

"I say two of us take them into the town gaurd. It's fairly easy to see they are telling as much as they know. Get them a light sentence, maybe some labour around the town or something, but keep them gaurded. Give the gaurds some of the coins we took off the prisoners to pay for the expenses, like food and lodging. The rest of us should pack up our camp... Unless some of you plan on staying?"

(OoC: Did we share the money we took from them around or have I still got it?)

Cugaer pauses a while before continuing.
    "Then I'm heading north. I have urgant business up there that can't wait any longer..."

11. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

"I will go," declares Melvin after some time in the quiet under the tree, "with our dear Yrinnyn if he allows it."

Standing up, he digs into his pocket and pulls a pouch out.

"Here are my 30 gold pieces (iirc) that was taken from them. I told you I didn't want it, the Town Guard might as well have it."

"Yrinnyn, shall we? Or do you have other matters to take care of, because surely I cannot take them three alone!"

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31

(Okay, so everyone but Melvin has split the gold pieces equal, meaning that each gets 30 gp and 30 sp, except for Cugaer, who has Melvin's share.)

13. chevalier

Media:
    "No, no... I shall go with you, Melvin."

Yrinnyn says to Cugaer: "I understand your motives, friend. I am rejoiced to see such a good heart in a man. And lack of vengeance, and of pride. But... life is a battlefield and the battle never ceases. Not everyone is good and not everyone is mild. Freedom to the wolf is oppression to the sheep." He taps Cugaer on the shoulder "We must do what our hearts tell us good. But we have to do the right thing." After a while... "Let me."

Yrinnyn addresses the captives:

"Stand straight! Like men! You are only defeated when you lie down and wait to die! Now listen. Are you actually going to keep your word, even a most solemn oath if you take it?... Don't even answer. And yet you remind me of Tanari's promise, that in fact was no promise and you well know it. Tanari, see him here, feels obliged anyway, although he only expressed a wish. Would *you*? Or have *I* actually promised you anything, even your life, let alone mild treatment? And yet, I shall not have you killed."

He walks in front of them them, knees stiff, wrists crossed behind his back and neck slightly bent to the side. "Don't think that I don't realise what you were going to do, and what you *would* do, or that I think you would not have done that should it have come to it. I well do. Look at me! "he walks in front of them them again in silence at looks in their faces. "How am I to believe you? Or *am* I to believe you, in the first place? And yet, I shall not kill you and I shall not enact any vengeance or exact any payment. One day, you will see why."

He looks at them in silence for a bit of time. "But don't be too happy too early. Don't think you will get away at ease. That's an illusion..." he suspends his voice, it now becomes deep, serious and somehow... sad, as though there were a second meaning behind his words that only he realised, "and a harmful one..." He stops again for a moment "You will be taken to the town and surrendered to the guard. You will not be harmed, but you will work for the town and for the people. Yes, you will work! Do you hear? You will *work*."

"As I said, I shall not exact any payment. Some gold will be given to the guard taking care of you, some will go to people harmed by such as you. You will be fed and clothed and you will have a place to sleep. What my friends here do with the gold they hold now, it's up to them. The next gold you get will come from the work of your hands. When you understand my words you will wish you had never even seen these coins. Look at me!... Now eat something, have some sleep and prepare for the journey."

Yrinnyn says most specifically to Cugaer and Tanari, but Ratchett and Melvin also being able to hear, his voice faltering largely after the oratory: "I'll talk to someone in the city. I'll ask for them to be treated well, without any harassment, fed well, dressed decently and, eventually, praised for good work, should it come. Later even paid, and then with decent wage. Perhaps they'll have a job for them then. They're strong men. They don't have families to take care of or obligations deterring them. Something will be there for them." He adds "Please, have me excused. I'm quite tired..." He takes a cup of water to clear his throat. "I hope you understand."

[ September 19, 2003, 01:23: Message edited by: chevalier ]

14. Oaz Gems: 29/31

The three bandits have had slept (although they were unconscious.) But they gratefully take the food offered by Yrinnyn. Presumably, is someone else's trail rations (since Yrinnyn himself doesn't have any.

One of the men speaks up.

"What 'bout our armor? D'you want it? I guess we en't got too much use fer it now."

(Okay, I presume it's Yuethel's town guard you're sending these men to, which means it's only a journey of six hundred feet.)

15. chevalier

Media:
    Yrinnyn thinks for a while. "I think you should keep your armour. You are strong men and trained to fight. Time may come you will need it. That time perhaps to defend people, not to attack them" he says, but his tone is far from the previous formal, preachy one. "But... thank you." he actually smiles a little bit ("I must be getting old. What I'll be up to next...").

"Now, let's go." Yrinnyn intends to buy rations for the person whose food he gave to the captives and to talk to someone about the future of the captives, also urging his friends to contribute some of the gold they hold from the captives (he does so in secret from the captives themselves). ooc: and rations for himself, too, this time ;)

16. Oaz Gems: 29/31

(Okay - four days' worth of rations, I presume? That's 20 silver pieces taken out of Yrinnyn's pouch.)

17. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

As the small group head off for Yuethel, Tanari stands with arms folded and looks after them till they're out of sight. With a wry smile he chuckles, and speaks in a soft voice to no one in particular.
    "I think I have underestimated this man quite a bit, he does indeed seem to have some strength in him."

He turns to Cugaer and pats him on the back, saying "Time to pack our stuff," and walks to his backpack checking for everything. Seeing all should be as he has packed it, he straps on the pack and gives Cugaer a nervous glance, then asks in a low voice,
    "Being a healer and all.. any idea how much time remains?"

18. Rotku

"Ummm. I wish I knew, I really wish I knew," Cugaer replies in a quiet voice.

He heads over to where his tent was and starts packing it up. Suddenly he stands up straight and bursts out laughing.

"He certainly does have more strenght than I would have thought! He treated those good fighters like pathetic dogs!"

With another laugh Cugaer goes back to his packing.

Although while packing he does take a break to ask Ratchet where he plans to go now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.