1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC:US - A New Direction

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Baldak Oakfist, Aug 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Word Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

"I have no problem", Calin replies, "fellow followers of the Seldarine are always welcome in my company" Calin continued, bowing to Mathetais du'Sacrafix, "I also think that all of our Gods would frown at this bickering behavior." Calin said, "Let's keep an open mind, my friends." Even as he spoke the words, he subconciously began to ready for battle, showing no external signs. Calin moved quickly to the table and sat, nodding to his friends.

2. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Knomal walked in, partially covered in leaves. As he enetered the inn, he noticed a newcomer, engaged in a conversation with the party. More elves? Huh... he thought.

3. The Word Gems: 3/31

Calin spoke up, "So tell us, Mathetais du'Sacrafix, about yourself. Give us some evidence we can believe that you were sent by Elkhorn." he continued, "I hate to be skeptical, but thats how times are nowadays."
    Calin then said, "Even if you were sent by Elkhorn, how do we know we can even trust him?"

4. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Kitiara enters the inn... surveying the room she notices that Gaspar and Bayne have begun a conversation with a handsome elf.

"hmmmm, this trip gets more intresting as we go along!"

She walks up to Gaspar and Bayne. Gaspar most graciously offers her a chair and she gladly takes it. The travel has been long and she is weary and in need of rest."Are you not going to introduce me?" Seeing them looking at her in a gaze she decides to take matters into her own hands.

"hello stranger" She reaches her hand out to the strange elven paladin. "Well met, i am Kitiara, and i see you have met Bayne and Gaspar already, they tend to be a little on guard as of late." She gazes into the elfs eyes and cannot help but wonder what brings him to meet them?

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited August 21, 2001).]

5. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

In a horrid mood, Pimm drags himself to the bar, ignoring the enthusiasm of his new friends meeting yet another stranger. He positions himself at a point where we can both watch his companions at the nearby table and still keep the other eye at the main entry way. He wasn't feeling anything other than paranoid lately.

His thoughts mainly wandered in the direction of the Barge that he was supposed to be on, and the men aboard, and their mission which he was no longer part of. Also he was concerend about those who also went overboard, yet are unaccounted for.

"Bartender, give me what'er you got that's cheap, and keep 'em comin'" he needed to lighten up a bit, and after a few beverages he might just be in the mood to meet the group's new aquaintance.

But right now Pimm just wants to drink.

6. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Eldon Durlin loved to tend the bar. In fact, he specially designed it so that he could do so. Being that he was only 3ft. 4in. he had to have a platform put in. Eyeing the human who just requested a cheap drink, Eldon could tell that the road had not been kind to these travelers. "Welcome to Durlin's Inn. I am Eldon, proprietor and bartender. This is the first time I have seen you here, and because I'm in a good mood I'll give you a good stiff one on the house. After that the least expensive stuff is 2 coppers a mug." Eldon pours a shot of good whiskey and sets it before him. "So, what is your name, stranger?"

Priscilla approached the table of newcomers. "Hello, My name is Priscilla and I'll be your server tonight. Is there anything I ca ...... Hey aren't you Lord Elkhorn's Squire? Yes you are, I've seen you here before with him. Oh sorry, well anyway, what can I get for you?"

Darius waited just outside the door. Good he thought to himself, now that father has sent Mathetais, I can return to my search for the foul Uthgart. Mathetais was not yet experienced, but he would have to do. There was just something about this group. He wondered if his message had reached his friend in Nesme. The others would be there by now. He quickly entered the Inn, placed a note on the bar, and left without a sound.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited August 21, 2001).]

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Mathetais' eyes widened slightly as the red haired elf greeted him. Her manner and appearence were striking! By the way the rest of the group defered to her, he could tell that her voice carried the most weight.

As she extended her arm to him, this "strange elven paladin" took her hand in his and kissed it in greeting. "M'Lady. I am at your service."

As Calin walked past, he squeezed his shoulder in greeting and said in a low voice, "I will be happy to offer any proof you need, but for now, let us rest and tell our tales."

He allowed the group to sit and be served, then resumed his own seat at the foot of the table.

He opened his mouth to ask for a telling of their tale, when his eyes fell apon a note bearing a familiar seal . . .

[This message has been edited by Mathetais (edited August 22, 2001).]

8. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Pimm was suprised by the sudden offer of hospitality from the diminutive bar tender, and the hospitality of stragers was not to be ignored.

"Thank you sire, this is the first thing that's gone right for me in quite some time!" he grins and picks up the shot, "Cheers" and sends the whiskey down. He grits his teeth as the welcome bite of the whiskey takes hold for a second. He breathes in and shakes it off. Nothing like a good shot to ease a foul mood.

"I'm Albrechto Horatio Pimm, pleased to meet you Eldon. Most people have taken to calling me Pimm." he lays a silver coin on the bar counter, "I'll have one of those ales you mentioned, or actually several of them, but one at a time - I suppose."

Pimm looks around the room. At the table of his traveling colleages he sees the redhead allready moving in on the new fellow. Well, it makes sense, he's the only clean one in the bunch. New friends making new friends he observed.

"Nice establishment, particularly for being in the middle of, relatively, nowhere. Have you had much trouble with the local, er... how should I put it? The local barbarians? We had something of a run-in with them a ways back."

9. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Eldon draws a mug of ale and sets it before Pimm. "Well, now that you mention it, no. This Inn is the perfect location, for profit as well as protection. You see, Harold's Holdfast is the respository of all the Heraldry and Genealogy of most of the races of Faerun, as well as housing the greatest library inn all the land. Because of this, Everyone respects the location as neutral ground. No one would dare to cause trouble here lest they suffer the rage of all the other races combined."
    Seeing the note Darius placed on the bar, Eldon casually slips it into his pocket. He would have to read it later. "Here, have another shot to go with that ale, on the house of course."

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited August 21, 2001).]

10. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

"Well thank you once again sire, your generosity is unheard of!" Pimm, looks between the shot and the beer, hesitates and settles on a sip of the beer, followed by the shot... "Well sire, down the hatch! *cough, cough, ehhhhhhh, cough! hrrr - ahem* oooh, that was gooood...."

Pimm takes another sip of his ale to smooth his throat.

Seeing the note dissapear into the bartender's pocket combined with the phrase "greatest library in all the land" sparked a thought in Pimm's mind, specifically regarding the note and the burned piece of map that the Redhead had found on the gigantic bleeding lout.

"So, people come from all over the land to view the collection of tomes collected here... I take it that they are carefully kept track of then? Have there been any thefts lately that you know of? Or perhaps a book missing a page?"

Given that we are in the middle of nowhere, I can't see much other alternative for the origination of the map particle, Pimm thinks to himself.

"Does the name Novamyst mean anything to you?"

[This message has been edited by ArtEChoke (edited August 22, 2001).]

11. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

"Well, I would not know if something were missing from the library. You'd probably have to ask one of the "Keepers". I doubt that they'd let one of their tomes get taken. Not when they will make copies for a fee." Eldon stares at the ceiling, deep in thought. "Novamyst...Novamyst...That name is familiar, but I can't place it. Maybe Dorf over at the stables can remember. I'll have to ask him later."

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited August 22, 2001).]

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Mathetais tried to read the stories behind the words of his new companions as they exchanged small talk over drinks.

He especially watched Pimm consuming information and alcohol in equal measure. He'd have to keep an eye on that one. He seemed to be a "holy man" but not of a style he was familiar with.

As to the others, he would have to weight their words carefully. This party needed him . . . as a leader or as a servant. Either way, he could already sense change on the horizon and, like all elves, Mathetais hated change!

"Priscilla. Great to see you again. When you have a moment, ask Durlin if I could have a word with him about . . . ahhh . . . I think he'll know."

13. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Peiscilla smiled at Mathetais. She was happy he remembered her. "I will pass on the message, Now would somebody pleeeeassse order."

14. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

As Pimm finishes his first ale, he realizes that it might not be wise to continue at the pace he's moving at, and decides to order a small meal to pad his empty (except for spirits) stomach. Over his dinner, and another ale, he told the bartender how he found his way to Harold's Holdfast, telling him about walking in on the murder investigation, getting shot with a crossbow, the ambush with the hobgoblins, getting harpooned with a javelin, getting dumped out of the boat into the river and the ensuing combat with barbarians.

Finishing his meal with a satisfied belly and carrying a nice heat from the spirits, he rises from the bar. "Thank you for your generosity and your company sire, it was much needed." He leaves a sliver coin on the counter. "I believe I'll head over to the library to talk to the Keepers before it gets too late... and let me know if you remember anything about that name: Novamyst. Thanks!"

Pimm takes a big stretch, decides he's now in a terrific mood, and heads out of the inn towards the library.

15. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

"Pimm," Eldon called out. "You might as well wait until the morning, The Keepers shut down the library in Mid-Afternoon. They won't admit anyone else after that no matter who you are. You're welcome to stay the night. A place by the hearth is 2 SP, the common room is 5 SP, and a bed is 2 GP, of course, Dorf will put you up at the stables for 2 coppers if that's your pleasure."

16. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Pimm stops in the doorway, turns around and hesitates for a second.

"Well sire, I suppose its a good enough time for another ale, eh?"

He sits back down at the bar.

"I think a place at the hearth will do just fine this evening."

17. The Word Gems: 3/31

"Do you have any Elverquist, Priscilla?" Calin asks, "If not, an ale will do for me, please." Leaning over to Mathetais he whispered, "Sorry for doubting you, but it was the prudent course" Speaking in a normal tone, Calin continued, "So you are a follower of Correlon Larethian. You also said you serve in His least of portfolios, War." Calin continued, "I mean no offense, but does that mean you are a paladin, or a war-priest?"

OoC: During char creation, I bought a bottle of fine wine. Can it be an Elven wine, such as Elverquist?

[This message has been edited by The Word (edited August 22, 2001).]

18. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Priscilla began writing the requests from the occupants of the table. "We have every wine produced in this area, good sir." she said to Calin. "I'm certain that one is on the list. A glass or do you wish the bottle?"

OoC: Yes you can choose that as the wine you have.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited August 23, 2001).]

19. The Word Gems: 3/31

Calin laughs, "Does it look like I can afford a bottle?" he asks rhetorically. Calin continues, "A glass would be fine, thank you." Calin turns his friends, "What would you all like?"

20. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

The Evening repast lead into discussions concerning "The Who's and Why's" of their situation. They had been assaulted by Torog and his band of Barbarians and discovered a note bearing the surmane Novamyst. With the note a Map of equal mystery was also discovered. Was there a link between the two? They were at Durlin's Inn. Just up the hill from there lay the greatest library in the North (perhaps all of Faerun), Harold's Holdfast. Some information was obtained by talking to Dorf, the Stable hand. Also, arrangements had been made for them by Darius in the form of a wagon and team. A newcomer joined in, observing the group, Dranamar an elf.

The morning brought a new aquaintenance, Aramil, the Head Keeper of the library. He remembered the name, Novamyst, as a young woman with a large cloaked companion. After a short discussion on the topic it was discovered that Torog was the large companion. As to the map, Keilsor Castle would be the fabled ancestral home of the now lost Hydra Tribe of the Uthgart, A place of Evil indeed. Mathetais, having received a request to visit his mentor, Lord Jullian Elkhorn, suggested that the group head toward Quaevarr. There they could take advantage of the towns resources for supply, and possibly Lord Jullian would know something of Keilsor Castle as well.

During the journey, the group discovered some goblins laying in wait for unsuspecting travelers. A long discussion ensued as to how to best dispatch the evil marauders. Mathetais, unhooked one of the horses from the wagon and decided to try and draw them out by feigning a charge on their location. His skill at riding proved to be rusty as he proceeded to ride up 10 feet and then fell off the horse, He failed his riding check and was not using a saddle. This was met with much laughing. Meanwhile, Bayne decided to crawl through the tall grass around to the left of the trees and came up behind the goblins. He proceeded to charge in and quickly had turned the situation to the groups advantage. Two goblins fell to his deadly blows before they could even react. One turned to meet the threat, while the other four remaining charged out to meet the others, who took advantage of Bayne's distraction to advance. Bayne was hit by a thrown javelin, but would indeed live to tell the tale. he dropped his rapier in favor of a greataxe and took down the goblin with a single blow. The others had decided to charge in on their four. Kitiara let loose with an arrow and missed, perhaps next time she will remember that she is a Sorceress and that the range on a Magic Millile s 100 feet plus 10 feet per level. Mathetais was next, taking out a goblin with the thrust of his longsword. He was followed by Calin, who proceeded to take out the next two with equally deadly blows from his long and short swords, but not before taking a javelin in the gut. The final Goblin was dispatched by Gaspar, who charged in swinging his Greataxe. With his impressive strength, Gaspar finally proved his worth, dealing the goblin 18 points of damage in a single blow, sending the poor creature to the nether regions in several pieces.

The group arrived in Quaevarr during mid-afternoon. They sold off the excess weapons and armor they had aquired and would now rest up for the evening. Kitiara, having gathered up the herbs she needed, quietly moved off to a secluded spot and began the incantations necessary to call her familiar (She has the feat Improved Familiar as noted in the manual Tome and Blood).

Each mamber participating in the encounter with the goblins received 150 Experience. Any who were present at the library encounter with Aramil, can now take an additional 100 experience.

So ends the day of 5 Eleint.

The new thread will be "RC: No. America - Quaevarr"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.