1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Redefinition of European

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    But 'California' or 'Westerner' aren't different countries with highly different cultures so I don't see what you mean by that.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I will agree if you mean culturally, but not racially. They don't call the U.S. the "melting pot" for nothing. While the balance is certainly shifting in Europe as well, Europe is still majority white. The U.S. is also still majority white, but by a much smaller margin. Whites make up just over 1/2 of the U.S. population. Their is also a large Latino segment (nearly 25 percent) and african segment (nearly 20 percent). Other races, such as Pacific Islander and Asian are also present, but in much smaller quantities. I don't feel inclined to look it up, but other races have to be under 5% in the U.S.

That having been said, I agree with the general assessment that Europe is more culturally and religiously diverse. A great many of the people living in the U.S. have adopted the American culture (some Latinos being a noteworthy exception) and all three major groups are largely Christian. I know there has been a large Muslim immigration to Europe in the past couple of decades, but that really hasn't happened here. The number of people in the U.S. who identify themselves as Muslim as of the 2000 Census was just 3%.

Americans are the same way. Most people are American first, but will also refer to themselves as being "Irish", "Italian", "German", etc., depending on what cultural practices they still practice. Although now it's not so much national identity as it is family tradition.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

What I meant is that many people idenfity themselves as per their nation, but also view themselves part of sub-groups of that nation. "US" coming from words "United States", I presume that before the union people identified themselves as per state and viewed US like england views EU today.

Hope that was a bit clearer.

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well a large number also think that UK and GB means England. For example how many times have you heard people on this forum say "Scotland, Wales and the UK"?

I always thought that was silly, as the culture has been lost. One of the major Irish famalies in the US are the Kennedy's. The only thing they have in common with Irish Kennedy's is that they are white and Catholic!

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Recently I came upon an article that saying that while we don't have an "European" mentality now, it might come into play in 10-15 years' time. Already, the author claimed, an ethnic Austrian may study in Germany, do an internship in England, work in Denmark and, one day, enjoy retirement in Spain. This could theoretically mean that if enough people live such a lifestyle, national identities may become less important in time.

For now, being European is imo related to a very vague cultural group, influenced by the ancient Greek and Roman civilizations. It's a bit frustrating how it's often used to refer only to EU member countries, really.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree that it's sill if the culture has actually been lost, but I don't think it is if you still maintain those practices. For example both my wife and I are from Italian decent, and both of our families have preserved traditions from Italy that we still practice today. It's not an every day thing, but there are many things around the holidays, including the types of celebrations and eating traditional foods that we still do. I think foods are probably the biggest thing. Both my wife and I know how to cook a whole bunch of Italian foods, but don't know much in the way of traditional Irish foods.

7. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Europe is "diversed", in the meaning of "varied". From religious aspect, Christianity is what has kept it together for a long time.

The history of European countries interweaves; this is the story (and the influence) of many, long, and often dark centuries. For example, even if I go to Germany, I can see the scenes of my nation's early history, an age of Kings, carved to the wall of the Cathedral of Köln. (In a different country of a different language, different location than my own!). With a small exaggeration, wherever you travel and whoever you meet, your language may be different but your history and past will share many events and elements. From the age of legends, sagas, myths, to WWII and the present day.

Edit: grammar

[ May 31, 2007, 08:48: Message edited by: Baronius ]

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Anything with potatoes, I'm sure ;)

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Nearly all 'Irish pubs' throughout the world are full of plastic paddies so its no wonder people don't know much about Irish food or culture - except for a few words of badly pronounced gaelic and the puzzling 'tradition' of eating corn beef (which is not Irish) and drinking dyed green Guinness on St Paddies day.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.