1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Religion

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sapiryl, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Who cares, DS?
    Satanism, Christianity, Arseholism, Sheepbuggerism and whatever.
    All different sides of the same coin.
    Take your bible and put it somewhere else.
    notice I'm trying to be polite here.
    Now I'm off to massacre a few priests and torture a few christians to death slowly so you'll have to excuse me.

2. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Now we are on topic...does anybody know why roleplayers are looked upon as satan-worshippers?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Because people are generally stupid. Because people generally fear the unknown.
    Because someone somewhere had no idea what D&D is, and saw a pit fiend on a box somewhere.

Need I say more? This is how all great myths get started... With someone who has no idea what he's saying/preaching about.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'd also say D&D means magic, magic means witchcraft, and witchcraft means satan worship. Simple, logical, obvious in it's veracity. :)

5. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Actually, I remember something from when I was in HS, way back when... Some kid commited suicide, and apparently he was always talking about death and dying, which gave someone the idea he was into Satanism. He also happended to play D&D with a small group of other kids, who never quite fit into the "in" crowd at school. People in the area put together two unrelated pieces of information and decided that D&D players were satanic cultists, who brainwashed this kid into suicide. :rolleyes:

Then again, that could all be another of those never-dying urban legends... Who knows?

6. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

A nice twist, that religions themselves are subject to the key of Darwinism. Survival of the fittest.

In the "Perfect Paladin" thread, I touched the surface of this; stating, in the end, that I was agnostic. I would like for everyone to see things my way, as everyone else would. Perhaps if my beliefs offered solace to those that fear death, they might be popularized. If I could assure everyone that we have a purpose for being here, my name might be praised. But I've reluctantly come to realize that these hollow assurances (religions) are impervious to logic and common sense.

I believe in energy, without it, absolutely nothing would be possible. I also believe in truth, whether it is known, or exists beyond that big shiny wall of ignorance, or denial for that matter. These two things are at the very root of all.

Truth and Energy.

Our souls are our life force. They are imbued with everything that is presented to us from the moment we take our first breath. We exist, physically, on the earth. 'Soul' is a small word for such a magnificent thing, an entire lifetime of stimulus, experience, beliefs, truths, and yes, energies all crammed into one word. Your soul isn't some ethereal phantom that exists within you, it is YOU. The very same you that is passing your eyes over this text at this moment. The very same me that is trying to describe, what I have yet to understand.

Religions are unnecessary. Yet one more competition that thrives upon the earth. Like any other living thing, to grow sickly and die when the course of its' life ceases. Or to be wounded by something greater and/or more prepared.

We are animals, are you so filled with conceit that you would deny this?

Have you ever let your mind venture beyond the perceptions of your everyday life? I have managed to block off, if only briefly, my understanding of my language. A startling moment of clarity.

The night has waned, it is time for me to retire for the evening. Labor beckons when the morning comes.

May logic and truth prevail.

Goodnight, my brothers and sisters...

[This message has been edited by The Wise, The Grey (edited March 03, 2001).]

7. Silroth Gems: 7/31

I think religions, like science, pencil 'n' paper or Grubs club are tools which can be used one way or the other.
    Large parts of the bible has content which can be used psycologically (or even psycho therapeutically) to aid people with simple decicions as well as through existential problems.
    The same book can be and has been used for extreme repression.
    Just like nuclear power isn't good or evil, just the person using it to kill others or aid them.
    So it's up to the (non-)believer, what he makes of it. If he is intolerant, he can't put the blame on the script. It's all in himself. If he's good he'd probably be so even without his god or religion. But if religion helps him, so much for the better.
    If he's evil he'll use the bible, thora, koran or whatever like others use a machinegun. So people preaching the hate are non bettter than the ones doing the murdering raping and torturing.

8. Shura Gems: 25/31

Repeat after me: Murder and genital mutilation is FUN!!
    WOOHOO

9. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hey Wise and Grey, sounds like you have been reading The Celestine Prophecy, and if not, you should, it's an interesting read.

... and Shura, I didn't want to be the one to say it, but your talk of genital mutilation is beginning to wear thin - SHUT IT!

10. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31

I have yet to read a philosophy book of any kind. I just get really profound after, well... twisting and smoking a joint or two. Or three for that matter, heh heh. I've devoted many hours sorting through and weighing priorities, intentions, understandings, beliefs, behaviors, reality and numerous takes and perceptions of it. I under--, or maybe 'overstand' how vain the undertaking is, but I'm meticulous.

I would be interested in reading a good philosophy book. Other than the aforementioned, does anyone have a suggestion?

11. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

I mentioned the Celestine Prophecy because it delves heavily into energy and life force and how we are all striving to control it at some level. I liked it because it really shows no favour to any religion in particular, in fact I think it is a work of fiction, it just touches apon some interesting ideas.

12. Shura Gems: 25/31

Screw you Moeken.
    SLICE EM BALLS!

13. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I guess my previous post to you was a bit rude Shura. Hey did I ever tell you the joke about the broken record ?

14. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] What??

You're backing down now Moeken?

That's so...lame.

15. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31

Funny to see those similarities, and reassuring to find I'm not the only one.

(breathes a sigh of relief)

I'll be sure to check for it the next time I go to the library. Is there any place online that I can find the complete text of books? An online library? Or would that be a copywrite infringement?

[This message has been edited by The Wise, The Grey (edited March 14, 2001).]

16. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

Hey Rakanishu, I think the definition of lameness is the inability to read between the lines. (or what is displayed right in front of you ;))

17. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Actually, my analysis of the situation is that somebody put one foot across the line and left the other behind.

Anyway, just think of my words as "encouragement". I hate to see "loose ends". ;)

Hee hee! :D

18. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

Thanks for the encouragement. My foot is indeed across the line, however the ball is no longer in my court. I find the witty enslaught of certain posters almost too much to bear :rolleyes:

19. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

You see, I've already predicted as much. When only one foot is across the line such are the results at the first sign of complications.

In any case, I have long ceased to be perplexed. Welcome to the club Moeken! For now it is the OTHERS that will have to suffer and bear it.

20. Shura Gems: 25/31

Slice and Dice, baby!
    Woohoo

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.