1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Religion

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sapiryl, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Obviously the majority of the people posting on this thread either cannot read or cannot think. I'm leaning towards the latter. If you had read and fully understood what the hell I was trying to do with this thing, I would have no trouble in observing its existence. However, since a lot of people are lame assed dicks, I cannot.

Sorcerer, please end this thread, it makes me sick.

2. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Sapiryl-

I'm sorry if you are offended that this topic didn't follow the route you wished, but that's no reason to ask for it to be closed. Several people had interesting opinions on the subject, and I'm sure don't appreciate being insulted. I for one can read full well, and I enjoyed the meandering of the conversation. I find several members of this board to be extremely well spoken, and I resent any implications to the contrary. If you can't stomach observing the existence of this thread then hey... DON'T READ IT!! Leave the rest of us to our own pleasant debates.

3. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

Granted, some people have used this topic to express their views and generally stayed open minded. However, I take my religion very seriously and I was trying to find believers in other religions.

Okay, you got me there. The Supreme Court ruled that Aetheism is a religion, and we've been getting plenty of that. :D

I apologize for my previous statement (I'm trying to be a good Christian) and will school my (tongue?) to be silent.

"Remember my brothers: Be slow to speak and slow to become angry."

4. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Sapiryl- Apology accepted, of course. Just don't let it happen again... ;) j/k Btw, you can always start a new topic.

5. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

Yeah. Maybe I will. But I'd rather start a new topic on Survivor, or...or...well, I'm in the school computer lab and I just looked down at the mousepad to ponder. The mousepad says, "FrogMagic."

But wait! Wasn't magic covered in this thread?!

Seriously though. I thank you for accepting my apology.

6. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

look, perhaps I was a bit harsh, but I still don't like religion, I personally don't that is. and if you ask me, nobody should!

7. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

One thing that makes me ponder about islam, is that they said that god made the Quran. Thing is, how do we know so? And if it is so aicient then howcome we're not allowed to drink alcohol?

8. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Really Sniper? I thought Mohammed penned the Quran (sp?) in the name of God. I'm not sure that it is alcohol itself that is frowned upon, it is the things that it makes us do :). Just like the pork thing, it is regarded as a spiritually filthy animal, but bacon, ham and pork-chops are just sooo good. What gives?

9. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Well, I know for a fact that there is a god. My Physics 109 class was cancelled. ;)

It's not a hard class, but if you've ever seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off, then you know what kind of class I'm talking about.

10. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Hate to break it to you guys, but in actual fact both the Quran and the New Testament were written after their founder's deaths.

It turns out that after the deaths of both prophets their followers got together and compiled their sayings. The earliest Quran ever recorded was written during the first caliphate (if I'm not mistaken) and that puts it at what? At least 100 years after Muhammad's death?

Also the King James Bible does not date all the way back to Christ and its interpretation conforms to the social norms at the time.

So you see, the popular religions are the ones that conform to social mores, and these change over time. It has become important to some people that to show the "truth" in their religions the values they propagate have to be unchangng. Hence fundamentalism.

And Sapiryl, I doubt you are as innocent as you claim. Quotes like "My soul is prepared, is yours?" only serve to irritate non-believers who have been threatened with hell by Christians. I'm sure you know we do not like your conviction that we will go to hell. It demeans us as human beings and tells us that no matter how good or kind we are we are no better than the next murderer.

11. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Threaten me with hell, Christians. I'll send you there personally first. One and all, especially the next shit who pushes his bible at me.
    DIE!

12. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Don't wiev all christians as assholes just because a few are. It's not our fault somebody said you will got to hell.

13. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

I'm sorry, did I ever claim I was innocent? If I did, I was raving mad because I know for a fact that I am anything but. According to the Catholic faith, however, there will always be a time for reconciliation and repentance. So I guess I'm okay.

I never said that "my soul was prepared." I do remember that someone else did though. Maybe you're confusing me with someone else.

I never said that anyone was going to Hell either. I do not think that I have to, one of the oldest idioms of the Bible is "Judge not lest thou likewise shall be judged." So I guess that I can't tell anyone that they're goin' to burn.

As far as Bible copyright dates, you're right, Bibles were not written until centuries after the prophets/apostles deaths. But that does not mean that they were compilations of favorite sayings. The books of the Bible were written during or shortly after (couple years) the time period that they portray (except Genesis). Later they were translated into Greek and this was the first language that the Bibles were written in. Also, the first ones did not have all of the books that we have today. This is simply because some scrolls and tablets were not found until the dark ages.

And if you've ever seen History of the World Part One, you know that there were 15 commandments, not 10.

:D

14. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

Yeah, I reviewed the posts, and it was Recoil Suave who said that his soul was prepared.

Huzzah for Recoil!!! ;)

15. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Sapiryl-
    Your comments do bring up a few points. I'm not an expert on historical anthropology or ancient civilizations, but I'm just wondering who decided which scriptures and scolls made the final cut? I guess it is believed that much of the info found in the old testemant may have been written by men inspired by God, and perhaps the books in the new testament were written as first person observations. I just sometimes wonder about the authenticity. Somebody who is fanatical about an idea may have written things that they only believed to be true or maybe weren't even true at all.

And as far as finding the scriptures, was the first scroll to be found the table of contents scroll? Who knew what was supposed to be included? Who says that all of the scrolls and messages have been found? Stories get interpreted different ways, facts become twisted, time often changes the meaning of things. To me the bible does seem to be a man-made compilation of stories.

In no way do I mean to belittle your beliefs with this post. I myself have taken long hard looks at the facets of religion, namely Christianity. Some of the people in my life who are closest to me are Christians as well. This is just some of the many questions that I wonder about.

[This message has been edited by Lord Moeken (edited March 12, 2001).]

16. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

Believe me, in no way are you offending me. At first, over three hundred books were included in the Bible, but after a while, the Vatican said, "Whoa! Whoa! Time out!" And that's when the Great Deleters ascended to Popedom. (I'm joking).

But seriously, many Popes assembled the Cardinals and Arch-Bishops and they went through to discover if any books seemed a bit too "fanatical." Granted, perhaps Moses got a little carried away when he wrote that the Universe was created in six days. After it was scrutinized by the assembly, they pronounced that the translation from Hebrew to Arabic to Greek to Italien to French back to Greek and finally to English might have garbled the phrase. They said that one of the Hebrew words used in this section could have been translated into both "days" and "eras" or any of several words that meant simply a period of time.

Deciding which books get into the Bible requires decades of scrutiny. The book of Sirach (I believe that it's also called Ecclisiasticus...my spelling is off, but sound it out.) almost didn't make it. It is not so much a "Life and Times of the Prophet Sirach" book, it's really just advice. It's so good, however, that in many orders (monks and nuns), it was used as the guidebook to Catholicism.

This post is getting long, so I'll sign off for now. If you want a more detailed explanation, e-mail me: ubercommander@hotmail.com.

17. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

18. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

Eventually, yes.

:) :) :) :)

19. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

LOL! Point- Sapiryl.. :D

20. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Darien, I think you should just give Shura a point for being persistant. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.