1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rep. Dennis Kucinich files lawsuit over olive pit

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Jan 26, 2011.

1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Gehaha! OW! I recently had some dental work and all I can say is... maybe he deserves a $56 million dollar compensation reward! Infected bone?! An implant failing!?

I am rather surprised that insurance didn't cover this, though.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I'm not sure I understand the question. How would this matter be resolved in Canada? And thank you for the link, DMC, since it explains a bit more of the actual injury and what he went through to get it treated.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think what Splunge is trying to say is that it should have been written off as an accident. Unless there was some malice involved, or pits have been found by customers on a regular basis of course.

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't see it as unreasonable to seek some basic compensation for everything he had to go through as a result of eating that sandwich. It sounds like all he was really looking for was basic compensation for his expenses. The original amount of the suit was, of course, higher than necessary, but you have to start high if you hope to settle for a lesser amount, and still cover all expenses.

I am not a litigious person at all, but I can't fault this guy. If I had to spend $50k out of pocket (or whatever it actually was) due to eating a sandwich, I'd not be happy about that. I'd probably look for some assistance from my sandwich maker too.

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well I'm sure it was an accident. I wouldn't think anyone did it with the intent of causing damage to anyone. That's why businesses carry liability insurance, because of the occassional accident. If a business is intentionally malevolent, or has too many accidents they don't get insurance, at least not at reasonable rates. It's like auto insurance, if you run into someone it's still an accident [not on purpose], and it may be only once, but you are still liable. That's hardly an American concept, since it has been around for thousands of years. Btw, if you do run into someone, and it proves malevolent, and not really an accident, the insurance may deny the claim.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, no it is not that simple at all. One must prove negligence for there to be liability. Just because an accident happens doesn't mean anyone is legally liable.

Did the sandwich maker have a duty to check for olive pits, or was the expectation that the olives were pitted and thus no reason to check carefully for pits? If the sandwich maker was expected to check for pits, was the duty performed carefully, yet a pit still slipped through?

What is the duty of the sandwich eater? When they have fragile dental work, should they not take heed of what they are eating and not be so exuberant in their chewing?

No, not so simple to decide liability.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    To add a twist, if the olives were provided by another company and were shipped as "pitted" olives, Kucinich would have a strict liability claim against the olive company, as the olives were supposed to arrive in a "pitted" condition and it would be reasonable for the ultimate consumer (literally in this case) to assume that they were, in fact, pitted.

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since it sounds like they've already settled, it seems that Kucinich managed to work around those complications. That said, sometimes it's easier to settle even if the lawsuit is technically frivolous (I'm not saying this one was).

Which brings me to another point, it's too darn easy to sue someone in the States. Anyone can sue anyone, no matter how silly the reason, and the defendant is forced to pay to defend themselves. I'd love to see a law that forces a plaintiff in what a judge deems a frivolous lawsuit to pay legal fees for both parties.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yeah - an amount wasn't stated, but Kucinich seemed to be satisfied with the result.

For a regular Joe like you and me, this is definitely true. However, I imagine that most companies of any significant size have lawyers on retainer, and so you're paying them whether they have to go to court for you or not. I'm not sure if that applies in this situation.

10. Marceror

Media:
    Agreed that a large corporation can probably stomach this easier than a regular person, but even still, if you have lawyers chasing down numerous frivolous lawsuits then they are not using their time to do more useful things like identifying and mitigating risks. And if there were more repercussions for suing, I'm betting most of those companies wouldn't need to employ nearly as many lawyers, so even though their salaries might be "accepted costs of doing business" it doesn't mean that large corporations aren't victimized any less than an average Joe. In fact, the deeper your pockets, the more frivolous lawsuits your company will be forced to respond to, as a general rule.

Adding some consequences for sue happy Americans would be bad for lawyers, due to their reduced demand, but good for basically everyone else.

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Actually I believe the opposite, that many are denied a day in court because of the legal expense to bring a suit against a corporation, while a corporation can keep a small army of lawyers on retainer to defend themselves. And in many instances of class action lawsuits the lawyers are the ones who walk away with most of the money.

That's not to say that there are not a lot of scammers; there are. I've seen them first hand working as a salesman. I've seen customers try to cheat companies and companies try to cheat customers. I blame the lack of regulation of business practices for the problem on the company side, and the lack of common sense by judges who allow stupid lawsuits into the courtroom by cheating customers. It's like a customer told me one time when I caught him trying to cheat me on a deal, "I'm just looking out for #1; it's the American way."

12. Marceror

Media:
    I don't see how your viewpoint is opposite to mine Chandos, especially since I agree with what you say, while also holding to the viewpoint that I stated in my previous post.

Yes, there are many who lack the resources to bring someone to court who probably deserves to be tried. This is not contrary to my point. Rather, it is a good point that happens to be a separate topic.

My point is that there are many folks out there who DO have the resources to raise lawsuits, and who work the system to make money because they know that it is often cheaper to settle than to fight. They play the odds, and end up making a killing because they know more companies will settle than won't. Other than their initial legal costs (which I'm betting that the lawyers are often part of the "team" in these scenarios) they have very little to lose.

As my brother in law's business continues to grow and grow, he's seeing more and more of this kind of thing. He owns what has become one of the leading mortgage firms in the US, and he has actually gotten sued over mortgages that he never even processed... and found that it was cheaper just to pay the guy suing him off rather than to fight the charges. It's pretty sickening, actually.

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Marc - Yes, looking back I see I misread your post. My bad. It seems we agree. :)

Oh, yes. I've seen customers walk away with free stuff that you and I have to pay for because they were either lying, or complained enough [they had read on the internet how to scam free stuff from a retail box]. Pretty disgusting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.