1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sadness was originally a sin

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dice, Mar 29, 2012.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

That's the wisest thing I've heard in a long time.

The same thing goes with Goth. Death is not something to be taken lightly. Some kids may be struggling to deal with the death of a loved one, but I think most of them are posers playing dress up.

---------- Added 0 hours, 4 minutes and 8 seconds later... ----------

Have you ever met a Mormon leader? Attended a service? Know SFA about the doctrines preached?

Youa re entitled to your opinion, of course, but I would ask that it at least be one that is informed, and yours clearly isn't.

And this is coming from a Mormon who is currently questiioning many elements of his faith.

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I think it is a proven fact that religion has caused more heated debates on the Internet than any other topic, with the possible exceptions of politics and the relative merits of different editions of the D&D rules.

:p

3. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I don't care if people have reasoned criticisms of my faith. I can deal with that. I also understand when people have had unpleasant experiences with it, as some fellow board members have. But wild comparisons and facile crap just pisses me off no end.

4. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I am talking about religions as they began, not how they are followed/used/abused today.

Like I said, religions have been started by men to raise themselves above others in society, Joseph Smith jr in my view is a perfect example, he concocted a story which would raise him to idolatry above his potential followers.

or do you believe his story?

not a leader, no.

does a baptism count as a service?

In their basic concepts they are not negative, but when handed to man they can easily be abused, justice can vary depending on who sees it, just as greed.
    for example, in York (england) it is legal to shoot a scotsman with a bow and arrow unless its sunday this was legal and seen as justice - plenty of people believe that an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth is justice, others see revenge as being wrong.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Swoosssssssh! :outta:

Now you know what sound threads being moved to the Alleys via express post make.

6. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I know that, was a joke. :p

And I had no intention to start any religious debates with this thread I just thought the concept of sadness as a sin was very deep. I also found the ancient symbolism intriguing. I'm sure they had good reasons for choosing the animal, colour and punishment in hell to go with the sins. I'm just trying to figure out what those reasons are.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Sorry to be part if the derailment, my fellow Canadian, but when comments are made toward my faith that would never be accepted if directed at another group, say, homosexuals, without a HUGE accusation of bigotry, I get right torqued.

And as for idolatry, if you are using the word in its literal sense, you are wrong. Anyone who knows the first thing about LDS doctrine knows we do NOT worship Joseph Smith. If you are using it in a more figurative sense, I can understand why some would think that, though I of course disagree.

A baptism is a fair enough service. :)

8. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

What exactly do you mean "raise above others in society"? I really don't think Jesus and the Buddha were just egotistical jerks who wanted to seem better than everyone, and I also don't think the Amish want to be raised above others either....

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    damedog,
    you forgot the quakers, clearly the worst of the lot.

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Ahem... Goth is not about death. Goth is a combination of aesthetics - both visual and musical - and attitude which boils down to individuality and appreciation of darker things in life. Good deal of goths out there are pretty damn far from kids -in my particular cadre of goths, I'm the kid and I'm in my mid-twenties. The assumption that goth is just a phase, automatic gateway to suicide or violence, etc, is an incredibly harmful and disrespectful.

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I stand convicted of hypocrisy(sic). However, in my defense, my personal experience with Goths has been as I described it. Many of the kids I taught went through Goth as a phase. And one was definitely working through the death of her mother. But I am not so arrogant as to assume my experience is exhaustive or definitive. Apologies and respect, Arabwel.

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Sounds more like emos or scene kids than actual goths :p

I have met several people who believe that the construction of religion is that of control. To me that's incredibly naive.

You don't see such argument for politics or science yet just as many people use them as their tools of power.

If you're going to have a bugbear about one might as well rail against the other institutions used in a similar vein.

In regards to the animal correspondences - I'd probably say it's to do with the punishment associated with it. As some of the lore and stories on animals correspond that way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.