1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scary: The Lynne Steward case

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But that's the whole point. NOBODY WAS FORCED TO SIGN ANYTHING. She had several choices to make:

</font>
    1. She does not want to abide by the terms of the document, so she refuses to sign the document and takes the matter of her inaccessibility to her client to court.
    2. She does not like the terms of the document, but she wants access to her client right now, so she signs the document in good faith, and abides by it until she can take the matter to court and perhaps be released from the agreement.
    3. She is OK with the terms of the document, signs it in good faith, and abides by it.
    4. She does not like the terms of the document, but she wants access to her client right now, so she fraudulently signs the document intending to break the agreement the moment she is with her client.
    Only the last one is a crime, and I believe it is a crime regardless of whether the document is found to be illegal, because SHE DID NOT HAVE TO SIGN IT IF SHE COULD OR WOULD NOT ABIDE BY THE TERMS.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, I see the disconnect here. I'm afraid neither of us may have to legal experience to answer this question either. Are contracts, in general, legal? Yes. Did she then willing break this contract and really had no intention of keeping it? Probably yes as well. Does that make her guilty of fraud? Again probably yes.

Here's the legal question though (and one I freely admit that I don't have an answer to). If the contents of the contract concerned a SAM, and SAMs turn out to be unconstitutional, can you be held liable for intentionally breaking, and never even attempting to keep a contract whose subject matter is itself, now illegal? I don't know, and I never considered it from this point of you as you are BTA. You have a valid point - or rather a valid question may the more appropriate term - but I do not have the legal background to correctly answer this.

We need some legal help from dmc here!

EDIT: Spelling, grammar

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Maybe somebody who plans on teaching criminal law in a Canadian law school can chip in. :)

The way fraud is framed in Canadian law, its if the accused obtains a benefit for him or herself, to the loss of the other party, and by knowing use of false pretenses.

The ultimate legality of the contract may not matter so long as you have those elements of gain, corresponding loss, and deceit.

Now clearly, I'm in no position to assess the particular subject of this thread since I haven't even looked at the relevant fraud provision in the States. I added my two cents worth to introduce the possibility that even if the SAMs are unconstitutional, it may not absolve her from fraud.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @BTA: I agree it's awful when people sign things without intention of keeping the promise, but if the requirement is illegal, the promise is void from the beginning, so there's no breach.

As in, if you blew up a wax figure with a cluster grenade thinking it were someone you didn't like, you wouldn't be committing murder.

Or if you printed expired money in your basement, you wouldn't have committed forgery.

Morally, the guilt is the same, but courts aren't punishing thoughts. So someone who does something just thinking it's illegal won't be punished if it's legal. Breaking unconstitutional laws is normally legal (it doesn't mean you are allowed to do everything it forbade you, but you can't be held responsible from that given law - if they find a constitutional paragraph for your deed, they can still get you).

Well, but I must say I don't know enough to say if the SAM had been constitutional or not. It may well have been. If it had been constitutional and there's a law saying you go to prison for defrauding the government, she should go.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    As for that she signed the SAM, they seemed to me like obligatory condition to grant her access to her client - without signing them she probably wouldn't have been allowed to visit him at all.

So it is surprising that you suggest that she had really a choice.

If any, she had a choice between practically abandoning her client until SAMs are checked in court or signing them and see him.

Considering how old that hag of a sheik is he might well be dead before the end of a lawsuit checking their constitutionality.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I understand this argument, I just don't happen to agree when we're talking about the fraud charge. Again, I believe the law makes a valid distinction between breaking an agreement and fraud. You cannot be held accountable for breaking an illegal agreement, but you can still be held accountable for the fraud. Also, not every breach of an agreement is a fraud.

She had the choices I laid out above (and probably a few more besides), only one of which is a crime (as I see it). She chose the crime, and got the deserved punishment. I hope she found it worth it.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Chev, you're wrong here
    That would still be attempt of murder, only on an unsuitable target, an error in objecto, still a punishable crime. Intent does count.

Not one might come and say: Hey, if that's attempt of murder, then Ms. Stweart is guilty of fraud as well, if it is for individual guilt and culpable behavior. Right, but as chev said, rightly this time, only if the SAM were legal :heh:

BTA,
    that is where my legal opinion and yours fundamentally disagree, which is probably insurmountable - I just read the option you suggested for the lady wanting to have children on top of this page.

Your suggestion she could go to court to sue the company to stop the practice would be a hollow victory.

What would that get her? Only trouble and after suing the company she certainly will not get the job she wanted. Not to mention the bad press.

You suggest her to become a Joan of Arc for the cause of non-discrimination, which is unrealistic and naive.

This is not a real alternative, because she'd be screwed anyway. I'd say her interest is much more direct and pragmatic - the company is the jerk here, and if they ask illegitimate questions and discriminate, that's what they should get for it.

I may be cnyical here, but that's how you really deter a company from doing it - get them some nasty consequences.

The case I described is the law in germany, here you do have the right to lie for the reasons I lined out. It may not be as idealistic as your approach, but it has the advantage of being a workable, if ruthlessly pragmatic, solution.

I still think the case against Stewart is weak and stretched, and the penalty excessive - and as usual we won't come to an agreement here - but that wouldn't spoil having a beer with you :heh:

[Of course not Rags. Our political/philosophical disagreements don't bother me at all with respect to you personally - BTA]

[ March 11, 2005, 01:19: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Actually (if it really is illegal) the court could force the company to hire her if they could not prove there were other reasons she was unsuitable, or award damages. And what bad press? It would probably be good press and cause a bunch of similar companies to offer her a similar job to show what good guys they are for more good press for themselves and bad press for the "oppressive" company. The you just sit back and watch the "oppressive" company's stock plummet. The threat alone of the woman taking them to court would be enough for them to back down if the practice truly is illegal.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Error in obiecto pretty much always precludes prosecution in case of attempt. It's called clumsy attempt and people are mostly not prosecuted for it. At any rate, it's even the same paragraph as the real thing but it isn't the real thing. It's still an attempt, so it isn't finished. An attempt is the whole crime with all stages except actually committing it. So you are only attempting forgery if you print expired money in your basement and you are only attempting murder if you "kill" a wax figure. But you haven't actually committed murder or forgery. Depending on the jurisdiction, you may or may not end up prosecuted.

Not really. If the requirement is illegal one has (legally) sort of a right to sign it without meaning really to comply. I can see reasons for deciding still to punish such kind of behaviour, but normally it isn't punished.

There was no crime if the SAM was illegal. Depending on the interpretation of the legal rule which penalises defrauding the government, they may or may not be grounds for putting her in prison for fraudulently signing an illegal SAM. I suppose not, but it is possible to make a rule that even in the case of illegal requirements one should still resort to the courts instead of fraud - although it couldn't be required that she stay away from doing the thing for which the illegal SAM is a requirement.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    <shrug> I would have to disagree, for all the reasons I have been repeating (especially about one not having to sign something one does not want to abide by), and given Beren's comments way back there, I don't think I'm crazy :)

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You very well may not be. Like I said, this is something that's going to go to court, and have millionaire lawyers arguing about. I don't think anyone on these boards, and certainly not myself and BTA have the authority or experience to answer such a question completely. While Ragusa, Beren and Chev make compelling arguements, it also must be pointed out that all of their own legal experience comes from Germany, Canada, and Polland respectively, and while these are all western nations, it may be possible that the law is different here in the U.S. than there.

One thing that I will say (and this is where Ragusa and I diverge): As of this point, the SAM is considered consitutional and legal. As such, I currently view her as guilty as charged. It will be a separate case that will determine the constitutionality of the SAMs themselves, and while that may ultimately affect her fate, as it stands now, to the prison she's a goin'.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've been in deposition for a couple of days, so adding more law on top of what I'm dealing with already is giving me a headache.

Digging back to law school, as this is all criminal law and I practice civil law, my recollection is that the only way to challenge a law that you deem to be illegal is to break it and get it up on appeal. (The legislature makes the laws, the executive passes them and enforces them and the judiciary tells the other two that they screwed up.)

Thus, this SAM needs to be challenged at the appellate level (and maybe up to the Supreme Court) in order to determine whether it is legal. Consistent with the foregoing, if Ms. Steward felt that the SAM was not legal and needed to be challenged and, obviously, still needed to see her client, she only had one way of proceeding -- sign the thing knowing that you are not going to obey it, risk the consequences and wait for the appeal.

I do not believe that one can be liable for criminal fraud if the SAM is illegal. (I know that this wouldn't support a civil fraud case were the SAM a civil contract, because you cannot enforce, in any way, an illegal civil contract.)

So, throwing more dirt into an already cloudy pool, I guess I agree with parts of what you guys are saying and disagree as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.