1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scientology

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Clixby, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Science and Scientology don't actually come into contact at any point.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He must have meant science fiction principles. :lol:

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    No, he was refering to the well observed principle of psychology that 85.7% of all human beings are either totally incapable of logical thought or, more often by 47%, so unsatisfied/insecure about their lives that they'll do anything to get 'in on it', where 'it' need never be specified. This is the sound basis for scientology.

4. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Yeah, when you compare the beleif in alien beings to the fact of a man rising from the dead after 3 days or a prophet ascending to a heaven full of virgins and car bombers they do look pretty stupid.

Cup O' intolerance for you Gov'?

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, Bassil, the concept of Jesus is just as far removed from my personal experience of life as the concept of malevolent invisible aliens. But somehow most Christians don't seem anywhere near as nutty as Scientologists. They mostly seem to follow fairly sensible principles in their lives, whereas the Scientological rules seem to be jarringly odd.

6. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

Maybe you should take a look at some diverse "Christian" websites and revisit that thought. I am not trying to be a smarmy ass, I am just saying that Scientology hasn't cornered the jarringly odd market my good man. ;)

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It has from the point of view that EVERY scientologist seems to be loopy whereas the incidence of loopiness amongst Christians seems to be similar to the background average amongst all people.

8. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

I concede your point.

9. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Werent the early Christians eyed with suspicion? The good old Romans felt ill at ease about this religion, which they decried as a cult of the grave or some such. Who knows what sort of people were attracted to it back then... after all, during the reign of Nero, they set flame to Rome in anticipation of the end of the world, or so it is speculated.

Should Scientology spread to encompass entire societies its measure of loopiness would become balanced by the wholesome crowds too.

And no, I am not one of them. :p

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Then we can all have superpowers that we can never display, we get to evade taxes and be ruled by our new Alien Overlords... talk about paradise on earth :D

11. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The Scientific principles I refered to were Psychological principles, not unlike those fo cults, preying upon vulnerable individuals and making them feel better but taking them for their money and driving wedges between them and their family and friends that will not convert.

As for the point of Religions being viewed with skepticism in it's early days, the Old Testament features numerous instances where Israel was beset upon by nations with other/no gods that thought they were looney for their religeous laws. Even now, when those of us raised with Christian beliefs are told about Islam, we think some of that is looney (like the parts where they are expected to sacrifice themselves to kill infidels).

The problem is that even if they are proven dangerous, Scientologists will enjoy the protection of freedom of religeon.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Scientology = The eBay of religions. Some people will buy anything! (Trademark pending.)

Besides, Dark Lord Xenu just sounds cool and mystical and alien and stuff.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Sounds like a newbie.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Yeah, Satan is the only true all-powerful evil being. Xenu's got nothing on Big S.

15. nunsbane

nunsbane

After reading the bible I'm not too impressed with Satan. God evicted him, Jesus foiled him and puny humans have the ability to negate his will.

Xenu was wreaking havoc 75 million years ago, according to scientology lore, when Satan was just a twinkle in God's eye.

16. Harbourboy

Nah, Satan was around right at the beginning, wasn't he? So he would be at least 5 billion years old? Although on which of the seven 'days' did he turn up on?

17. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

None of them. As I understand it, Satan was cast down for something he did after God was all done. (Wasn't he the snake that tempted Adam & Eve?)

18. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Doesn't that technically make him a furry?

if you think Xenu rocks, why not join the First Church of Xenu?

19. nunsbane

nunsbane

Harbourboy, it has been a couple of years since reading through the goog book, but if memory serves there was nothing before God got busy with creation. It was just God floating about in pre-primordial aether.

If God did create angels when he created everything else then Satan would be about 6,000 years old.

As to why he was cast out of heaven, he sinned against God in some manner. In fact, if I remember correctly he rose up against Him and tried to take over management.

20. Abomination Gems: 26/31

See! Satan's got balls, man! He rose up against 'Him'! The most amazing thing is that he survied now who else can say they did that? "God smacked me up pretty bad but he didn't finish me off! I'm rugged and hardcore! Grr! Here, have an apple."

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.