1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sexuality and Its Development

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Actually, that idea is one more thing the Christians took from their Jewish roots. :)

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, it is true that Jesus was Jewish, of course. So, it is a valid claim that the four Gospels of Jesus Christ have Hebrew roots, but that's not exactly a news flash. Nevertheless, my larger point was, despite your attempt to diminish it, that the life and teachings of Jesus altered the ancient world in profound ways and had a "democratizing" effect, although still far removed from what we consider modern democracy. For instance, the teachings of the Kingdom of Heaven and its notion of a place of equality in the afterlife. But I'm not even certain if Hebrew traditions before the birth of Christ ever considered the afterlife at all.

In fact, historically, I'm not that familiar with the track record of the Hebrew traditions and how it approached the whole notion of equality or democracy before the birth of Christ - for instance the rights of women, or its approach to slavery. I do know that some historians consider the notion of equality to have its beginnings in the teachings of Christ and that the teachings of Jesus were something very different from orthodox Judaism. Hence the reason they are now almost completely different religions. Unless of course the Four Gospels and the teachings of Christ have been incorporated into Judaism -- that would be a news flash. :)

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @CtR: I'll completely agree with you that Christianity did more for spreading the idea of equality throughout the ancient world than did Judaism. I'll also concede that Christianity came up with the idea of equality in the afterlife, but that's mostly because Judaism is a religion that is focused on making the here and now - the world we all actually live in - a better place, not on reaching that "better place" after we die.

Within ancient Jewish communities, women could own their own property, separate from their husbands. They held rights with a marriage and could sue for divorce if those rights weren't upheld. If women were excused from some of the religious obligations that men were held to, it was because women had other, equally important obligations to carry out.

I'd have to dig up the explicit reference, but I read that many of the principles that the founding fathers fell back upon when drafting the notions of justice that form the basis of American society came directly from the Old Testament. If those ideas were revolutionary back in the 1700-whatevers, imagine how radical they were 4000 years earlier.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.