1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sexually charged ads of non-sexual enterprises, featuring workers

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Nov 17, 2007.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, in my opinion if it involves compromising activities, then he's also a criminal guilty of mobbing and if it involves anything "sexy", he's a sex offender like any other.

Not like I fully agree with that, but him/herself is the key. The amount of pressure existing in many work situations will often preclude a free decision.

Yup, same, and I'm willing to take the risks associated with being unwilling to compromise my morals. However, how much choice do you have if you're a young wife and mother in an unemployment-heavy area? As much as a single guy with a good degree or not much so? I'd say the latter. In fact, sometimes it'll mean no choice. Molesters act on that premise and those who make people pose for those calendars aren't suddenly any better than if they asked the workers to perform a nude show in the office.

You think there should be no laws requiring employers to abide by their contracts? So sale-purchase should be enforced, loan should be, leasing or franchise or whatever have you, but a job contract not? A job contract includes not only the work time and wage, but also the range of tasks to be performed by the employer.

How free is the market? It takes years to punish a monopolist. In theory, it's all democracy and free market. In practice, people will not consolidate to act together. It's always nice to see some poetic justice, but I believe in coming down very hard on the big people who abuse the little people.

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I understand your concern, Chev, but I think the vast majority of employers would be very, very careful about this sort of thing even in the absence of laws, because the negative publicity that would come about from even one woman coming close to intimating that she had been coerced by her boss to flaunt her feminine beauty to make a point would negate any value the rest of the ads would generate. In cases where the employer does dance on the legal line in his efforts to get the women to disrobe or be partially nude, I would imagine that most courts would be pretty willing to slap the employer down, especially if the job were one that didn't come close to being a modelling job (like nursing, airline attendent, etc.)

But a law clarifying that advertising in a magazine or other visual format must be clearly and openly stated in employment contracts wouldn't hurt and could only help.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's sometimes frightening how deep can work go in a private life, as well as how far the bosses think they can go.

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    All I'll say is that these types of laws were put into place for a reason to begin with. Today, it may be bad publicity to be known for that kind of treatment, but 60 years ago?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.