1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So where is everybody? Hello?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Death Rabbit, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

[​IMG] By the time I want to post, the "good" answers and replies are already used up. That sucks... So therefore I'm not the guy that is posting a lot, even though I want to be...

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

So that leaves only the "bad" choises: sarcastic, humorous, spam, bored and indifferent.

*Below* :shake: :1eye:

[ June 28, 2003, 11:09: Message edited by: Virne ]

3. Troll Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Some sarcastic, humorous, spam;

Virne
    Daephoon's reply,
    Irony? Anyone?

Anyway, back on topic

1st Reg - To post something. :)

2nd Reg - To post two distinct articles on the same day in the same thread CS. :(

3rd Reg - Changed password, but as there is no confirmation box, I input a typoed password and I can't figure out what it was, so new reg required. :mad:

4th Reg - To check the results of a poll in which I had already voted.

5th Reg - To use different names such as this one.

6th Reg - Who knows?

IMHO,

The number of registered users isn't a measure of anything until the user has made over a hundred posts, and then 'Gem Greed' takes over and only one nick is used to feed the users spam addicton :p (Its not love. Its just a post count ;) ).

Is anyone able to tally the number of users with over 100 posts?

(May the Divel take you (No, its not a typo).)

[ June 27, 2003, 04:40: Message edited by: Divel ]

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Wrong. All you needed to do was contact me and I could have given you your password. PM me and I'll give you the login info for your old username and delete this new one you made.

5. Troll Gems: 2/31

Please understand that I am not complaining. I am just being brutally honest (with no thought for my own self interest), in order to stir the pot and see what comes to the surface. My list above was just to illustrate the way that I perceive things to be now. Whether or not I should care about a lost Login password depends upon the moderator's view of multiple usernames being held by one person, when their creation was due to a wish to add to the boards in an even more constructive fashion (as opposed to creating them with malicious intent).

(*IC: Divel gets out the biggest wooden spoon he can find.*)

(Ekhem) I know that abandoning a username was wrong. My point was that it is quicker (and less likely to make a person look like an incompetent fool) if a newbie re-registers and forgets about an old low-post-count Login Name than if they go to the bother of contacting a moderator. It’s not the right thing to do but most humans will choose to do something that is fast over something that is right, if they know that there will be minimal consequences.

*IC: A penitent Divel puts on his sack-cloth tunic, sits down and pours some ashes over his head.*

This thread (and others regarding the recycling of unused registered names such as Gandalf) are asking important questions about the high number of inactive registered Login Names (and the associated server load that comes with each registration) compared to the number of people who actually post anything. If the answers to those questions require the acceptance of some of the responsibility for the problem (if there actually is one) by the current users, then 'I am Spartacus!'

Multiple registrations are not, AFAIK, expressly against forum rules unless a person is banned. I think that this is a good thing. Someone who is registered as Uberdog Destroyer Of Worlds for the Roleplaying Forum might prefer to login as Maisy The Daisy to reveal his in-depth knowledge of flower arranging in the Whatnots Forum. There is nothing like a little schizophrenia to allow a person to see (and contribute to) an argument from all sides.

(Question for moderators: Are multiple Login Name registrations by the same person against the rules?)

The problem arises when these extra Login Names are forgotten and left behind. It means that new users can’t get the name that they want. They can’t use the same nick as they use for their email for example. IMHO The dead wood has to be pruned by the moderators (in the same way as it is currently done with Avatars). But if there is an old post made under a disused Login Name, can the Login Name be deleted? It would be good if it could be replaced with an identifying number instead of a name. The same paypal donation system could be used to entitle people to pick one of the fifty most popular D&D names like Bilbo, Sauron, Minsc etc.

[Geek Mode]

I expect the moderators are already aware of all this, and are currently working on an automated PM style reminder which includes a link to a CGI/Perl script that when clicked will stop an automatic six-monthly unused-login-name de-activation procedure from occurring? Or maybe they have real lives. :)

[/Geek Mode]

In fact this whole thread is in the domain of the moderators and it is really just my curiosity about current site statistics that is keeping me interested. (That, and an unhealthy attraction towards anything that vaguely resembles a self-destruct button).

'I am Spartacus! Hey, where did everybody go?'

I'm too honest for my own good, and too dishonest for anyone else's.

(That would make a good signature. Damn! Impure thoughts, I’d better go and get more ashes ;) )

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Talk about a confused post... Or is it confusing? I can't quite decide.

Multiple registrations are against the rules, though this is not explicitly written down. An unwritten rule, if you will. Since this board went live, people were only allowed one registered username. Those who post in CS are an exception, they can have two usernames so that they can continuously post without having to wait for a reply in between which might never come. I guess this isn't readily apparent, so I'll be adding it to the rules list shortly.

Btw, on every login screen there is a link through which a lost password can automatically be mailed to every member at their registration e-mail. I believe this is pointed out in the FAQ as well.

7. Troll Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Sorry about the confusion, I've had some Dried Frog pills and I am now much more coherent.

Warning, more brutal honesty ahead.

Since the second registration for CS was really just a Flag Of Convenience I never needed to check the associated email account (more broken rules, more ashes). Therefore I eventually forgot the password to the email account. Hence the password link on the login page wasn't much use. :o

The moderators are probably thinking up the name of a brand new plaque as you read this. :rolleyes:

The only reason I mention it is because it is another way that much-sought-after Publicly Displayed Names (PDNs) can become orphaned.

:yot: Some off topic irrelevant stuff

My post was confusing because I tend to inadvertently speak in riddles, or so I've been told. Smeagol would be a better PDN for me as he liked riddles, but this PDN has been taken for the duration of Sorcerers Place's (enevitable) world domination, by a member who never posts. Strangely, the Gollum PDN isn't taken, nobody wants to be thought of as being that creepy I suppose.

The big wooden spoon is for stirring things up.

Wearing sackcloth and covering yourself in ashes in public is an old Christian method of penance.

'I am Spartacus!' is from the 1960 Movie Spartacus with Kirk Douglas. It's the scene were all the gladiators and slaves stand up to take personal responsibility for their own actions.

No response regarding this post is neccessary, my medium Int and very low Wis explain away most of my early problems.

I'm still interested to hear about any other peoples views on the ratio of Registered Users to Current Posters. I think its interesting, but then I am very strange. :heh:

8. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] You still haven't PMed me which username you want to keep. I won't ask you again. And when I say PM I mean PM, not public discussion here.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Divel

It is entirely possible you've overanalyzed this thing to death. I started this thread because I was just curious and found it funny that I didn't see 5000 people here on a regular basis, nothing more.

Ya think? :eek: Ritalin, anyone? :p

10. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Its called mescalin. It is what makes you fly.

@JSBB
    Polls are a recent feature here on these boards. Much more recent than 90% of those members with zero posts.

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Either I need more coffee or this thread makes posting sound too hard. This is my "break" from work ... not "work". If it were "work", I'd work instead of "work" because work pays better than "work".

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Well, *I* need more coffee to work my way through that little bit of double-speak! :roll: :coffee:

13. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] you mean "work" Rallymama :)

14. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, I can give a few reasons why I haven't posted much -- my wife wants to kill me! She says I don't spend enough time with her or pay enough attention to her. So, I'm trying to spend more time with her and that means less computer time for old Depaara.

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, dude. 11th Commandment: Happy Wife = Happy Life. ;)

16. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Maybe some of them were French and searched a safer place ?

17. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Well I'm more than a lurker than a poster, though I love to post. (hope that makes sense :p )

I also only reply to interesting threads, I dont give a flying......duck, for America Sucks threads :)

18. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Been really busy with paper work now that the new semester has started so I can't even touch the computer....

19. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hey, that's exactly what I was going to say...

Twilight Zone theme...

20. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I just occasionally pop in to let whoever cares know that I am still here, lurking as I have been for several years. I go on a posting spree every now and then, like recently.

So, hello everyone! I am still here.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.