1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Student tasered - opinions?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Stefanina, Sep 19, 2007.

1. nunsbane

nunsbane

He's an ass. I would tase him on general principle.

He would gladly endure more than a tasing for the fleeting notoriety.

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm going to agree that the tasing (is that even a word?) was excessive. Police are supposed to warn you before using force of that nature unless their lives are being threatened-- in which case I hope most officers would use a gun instead of a taser-- and give you a chance to comply. Yes, we don't know for sure that this guy would have stopped being a giant douche upon being told "if you don't cooperate now I'll be forced to use tase you, dude," but it only takes a few seconds to give the warning and, even though the guy was acting like a turd sandwich, he should have been given the chance to comply before being subjected to potentially lethal force. (While rare, people have died from normal taser use.)

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Giant douche? Turd sandwich? Have you been watching "South Park" re-runs? Those were the choices in a school mascot election. But I digress.

The thing is, he HAD been given several chances and warnings, and like the arrogant little <expletive> he is, he ignored them. He was probably still struggling and flailing around when he made his noisy "plea" to not be tasered.

Bottom line, if you cooperate with reasonable authority, this'll never happen to you.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    charge up the dynamo

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is possible to subdue people without hurting them or tasering them. Good old fashioned wrestling works wonders or just classical police grips.

Taser is something you would use in life threathening situations where a firearm still isnt called for. Not to subdue rowdy jerks.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Okay, so he did deserve it, but it was an overreaction by police. I'd like my fifteen minuted of fame to come without tasers if you don't mind...

8. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    After watching the video again, I'm thoroughly convinced that using the taser was completely unnecessary. They had him on the ground and cuffed, and he wasn't actually a threat to anyone. The taser is a defensive weapon intended to be used to pacify someone that you don't already have on the ground in handcuffs. Tasing him was every inch as ridiculous and excessive as the assertions this Gomer was making to Kerry.

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I watched the scene in a CNN excerpt, and I'm a bit on the sideline. On one hand, using police to get the guy down - and he didn't speak all that much, to be honest - definitely made a bad impression on me, as did using the taser when he was basically under an entire pile of policemen. What could he do from under there, anyway? OTOH, the guy was acting like an idiot and making a scene after the policemen tried to grab him. I don't know if he panicked or did that intensionally, but he did look like an idiot.

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    This whole thing wouldn't have been a real issue if they hadn't used a taser. I agree that the police overreacted. It would have been a minor incident without the taser.

If someone crave attention that much providing such an outlet is definitely playing their hands and giving them more media coverage than they actually deserve.

Where I live the police still use regular clubs to subdue unruly students when they demonstrate. According to what I read about this incident that guy didn't seem particularly articulate and I don't get the point of his intervention either (unless he planned to disrupt the meeting for the sake of creating a conflict with the authorities which is really immature and doesn't lead to any constructive exchange).

Cattle prods anyone?

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All students should be tasered. Makes 'em tough. That's the problem with the world today. All the kids are mamby-pamby wimps who can't handle a little discomfort. Back in MY day we would have been lucky to be tasered. Instead we were hit with boards -- with holes in them to make it sting a little more. The PE coaches would stick the kid he was pissed at with the sadistic jerk as a wrestling partner. Quite a few trips to the nurses office. I think the coach measured a good day in the number of kids sent to the nurse. Which is another thing... the nurse only had aspirin, none of this tylenol or ibuprofen garbage. If it upset your stomach, tough -- deal with the pain. It didn't matter what you went to the nurse for -- you sat down in chair, took two aspirin, and drank a quart of water. Then sent back to class. Which is another thing... the teacher could smack you if you sassed them. Let a kid take a swing at a teach in MY day and kid was going to get the living tar beat out of 'em -- and then their dad would beat 'em again. A call home meant a beating, pure and simple. None of this wimpy, mamby-pamby 'Mom, come get me, they're being mean' garbage of today. Mom never came, and if she did you got beaten -- in front of the whole school.

I'll tell ya, the kids today are just wimps. :geezer: :bang: :deadhorse:

:D

12. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Great post, T2Bruno. :lol:

13. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  14. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Just received my "Don't Taz Me Bro' " bumper sticker from Billoreilly.com. Thought I let you know just to annoy some of you.

15. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Update on the incident: No charges for student
    This does not surprise me, given my opinion that he did this solely for publicity anyways. He got what he wanted, why risk losing his scholarships?

16. Ghaldring Banned

If only this student had followed the golden rule: If you don't want your ass beat by the police, don't piss them off. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.