1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SW: Attack of the Clones, Movie Talk (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Big B, May 15, 2002.

1. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I just got back from seeing it in the theater. BTW - I don't think its going to break Spiderman's opening weekend record, the theaters over here have been empty since it was released.

I must say I am disappointed. The acting and dialogue was poorly done, mainly broken and choppy, with a good deal of the dialogue sounding forced. The accents of Obi Wan and the other Jedi came and went.

The first hour and 45 mins of the movie were boring, plodding along until Anakin, Padme, and Obi Wan were about to executed in the arena. I must say, though, that the duel between Dooku and Yoda was VERY well done.

Its rare that I leave movies to refill my drink/popcorn/use toilet, but I did so twice in Ep2. Once to relieve myself, and again to refill my drink.

I need to read the book, which is the unaltered version that Salvatore wrote. I find it very odd that Salvatore, my favorite author, could write something so bad.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Just seen it today... I don't know. I'd say I liked it about 50%. Especially the fight scenes and special effects were excellent.

But the impossible scenes (like the one in the beginning, pursuit of the bounty hunter) turn me off. I mean, among millions of space ships they have no problems finding and tracking the right one, jumping out of the ship and landing right on top of the right one among a million others, Anakin losing his lightsword and Obi-Wan casually catching it... Come on. There's limit to what even Jedi can do.

For me, things like that totally ruin the believability of a movie. I can swallow the obvious invulnerability of the main heroes (in the worst case you get one of your extremities chopped off, without even any apparent bloodloss), but this movie has too many one-in-a-million events for my liking.

Big thumbs up on the whole Kamino scenes though. Mouth-watering visual candy.

3. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Taluntain: A one ended laser swords, ships the size of planets, Telkenessis, small 900 year old green martial artists, Samuel l jacksons without shotguns, droid armies, 1.2 million clones, jet packs, aliens of all shapes and sizes....where exactly does the limit to believability stop?

Oh and everyone knows there is no blood loss cos the lightsabre is a laser and therefore sears the wound tight.......hence the fact also that they cannot sew the arm/hand/torso back on again!

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't see anything on your list that wouldn't be possible in an alternate universe. ;)

They can't sew the arm back on but they can place a robotic prosthesis on with no trouble? Unless I'm mistaken, those would get the signals from the same nerves a normal arm would, so they would need to cut open the arm for those to work just the same as if they wanted the prostheses to work. Didn't even think of the laser searing the wound though. Good explanation. (Hey, I didn't grow up around Star Wars. :p)

5. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

FYI - When a lightsaber cuts off a limb, it cuaterizes<sp> the wound, so no blood would spill. Seems a little useless, better cut something useful off because the same blade that cuts will also heal. Hosipitals do the same thing.

6. My impressions:

1.Yoda rocked!
    2.The purple lightsaber was great, the guy at the end of it not so great.
    3.Yoda rocked!!
    4.Mace cut off Bobba's Dad's head off right in front of him, that's terrible!
    5.Yoda rocked!!!
    6.Anakin is an evil moron. I hated that guy.
    7.Yoda rocked!!!!
    8.Dual-wielding bit was too short.
    9.Yoda rocked!!!!!
    10.A bit pathetic at points, eg. Dooku's wienery scooter thing, love story, Obi-Wan being wooden, droid one-liners, etc.
    11.Yoda rocked to infinity!!!!!!

7. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

Tal if anything is possible in an alternate universe then you have just contradicted your first point!

8. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] God I hate it when people force me to dumb something down to moron level before they'll try to understand what I'm saying. But ok. Here goes.

Even in an alternate universe you can't jump out of a flying car without looking down, fly for 5 miles downwards and land exactly on the trunk of the other flying car you're chasing. Things like that are called one-in-a-million chances and, unlike Pratchett says, they do not crop out nine times of ten. (Which I suppose is the reasoning you are using.)

Same thing goes for losing a small object like the handle of Anakin's sword and Obi-Wan catching it without even looking for it. Now, I'd say it WOULD be possible if this alternate universe actually had things like that happening all the time (everywhere), but obviously that is not the case.

As for
    1. Who knows how exactly does a light sword work?
    2. What's impossible about ships the size of planets?
    3. Some people on Earth are believed to have this ability, why couldn't aliens?
    4. Yoda's just another alien life form, so what?
    5. Yea. Right. Granted, this one's hard, but still... :p
    6. What's impossible about droid armies when you can assemble robots? We could do it today, here and now. (If anyone was crazy enough.)
    7. What's impossible about cloning? There are probably people who could clone a human here and now, and if not now, they will be able in 5 years. Once you're past that, the number of clones is merely a formality.
    8. There have been more or less efficient attempts at constructing jet packs in our own history. Nothing impossible about it, especially in an universe where technology is highly advanced.
    9. Aliens of all shapes and sizes is actually one of the most believable things about Star Wars. If anything is believable, it is that each alien form would be very different than the next one.

9. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

but what is impossible about landing on a car from 5 miles up in an alternate universe!? your like the people who insist there is no life on mercury or venus! ther might be jsut not life as we know it.
    In an alternate universe anything is possible, we know very little about it and therefore you cannot say anything is impossible.

By that little list i was simply pointing out that your limit of believability seems a little strange thats all, all that stuff is possible (well maybe not samuel l jackson thingy).

And please don't call me a moron, there is no need for that sort of thing, it just makes you sound nasty.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    Oh, I didn't call you a moron. I said moron level. There's a difference. ;)

Anyway, I won't bother anymore. It's obvious that even my last post was totally lost on you.

11. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Sir Dragorn:
    What planet are you from?

12. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Star Wars
    Attack of the Clones

3 words: Unnerving, Pathetic, and Confusing

An explanation to come soon...

13. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

Alex i had two reasons for saying this:

1) I have been accused of being a racist because of my views on America.
    2)compared to Hayden anything is good!

14. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

HAHAHAHA BigB didn't like it :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Oh yeah and

:grin:

15. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] That's funny why?

16. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Because he was going nuts with elation at the mere thought of a new Star Wars film. :)

I liked it :count dooku:

:D

[This message has been edited by Vukodlak (edited May 21, 2002).]

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I have seen it yesterday. First I would go to Lord of the Rings for the 4th time but that movie played only in the afternoon... so I went to Starwars. It's the first Starwars movie I have ever see...

I must say that graphically, the movie is fantastic. Things look very well, good ligh effects, good effects.... and a pretty girl... that where the two good things I have seen.

But good graphics and nice looking characters don't make a movie good. That also requires a good story... and the story wasn't interesting for me (maybe because I didn't see other Starwars movies. But the first part was boring and the story was developping very slowly. I also must say that the movie sometimes seemed like a futuristic James Bond version, with impossible action, like jumping out of a flying car, falling 1 minute down, exactly on the the roof of another fast flying vehicle. And why can people that have such modern technologies not make a bullet that doe kill the jedies... I saw bullets flying everywhere and no-one was hit... strange...
    And all those strange creatures everywhere.... it's a bit too unrealistic for me....

Well I have never been a big Sci-Fi fan... I prefer fantasy above science fiction and since yesterday I know again why :) I hope to be able to see LoTR again soon :)

18. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

OMG! Big B didn;t like it! this after saying that any critic who gave it a poor mark was "laughable"

and

"I'm going to like all of it"

and

"I pity the fool who thinks this Star Wars movie will suck."

and, finally, that

"There shouldn't be any rivarly between the films anyway"

:):):):):)

PS Big B - I hoped you enjoyed the storm trooper walking into a wall if nothing else... ;)

[This message has been edited by Christopher_Lee (edited May 21, 2002).]

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Poor BigB.... he lived the whole your to this movie, he managed to make an attack of spam here wich made even me jalous. And then the movie is disappointed. I can only give you my sincere sorries ;)

May the Force cure your wounds.

20. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] here, here.

may the force BigB with you...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.