1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sweet or Salty

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Feb 22, 2009.

?

What taste do you like better, sweet things or salty things?

1. Sweet

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Salty

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. Neither

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Yup, more variety in salty food.

Under "salty" I don't mean only various snacks, but all sorts of dishes which contain the flavour, in whatever form. The amount of ingredients one can put in "salty" food and the specter of flavour characteristics obtained by mixing and combining them, IMO, outnumbers the diversity of flavour experiences you can get through sweet food. Consider spices, vegetables, meat.

Sweet as a flavour boils down to sugar and various carbohydrates, some alcohols, honey, and various synthetic sweeteners, for processed food. It might be divine, but the main appeal of sweet food is the fact that it's sweet.

The "salty" flavours provide greater diversity.

The soda pop is at the end of the day, just a soda pop, whatever the flavour. Hardly an experience worth praising.
    On candy: (gum aside, since basically, all you get is sugar + artificial aroma + main mass of it) I'm not saying that there isn't a variety of different candies, only that there are more combinations possible for "salty" food.

Alcohol can't be made from salt, true, but by transforming sugars into alcohol, you lose the sweetness, so no points there. :p

True, salt isn't added to beverages (I heard some people lick salt when drinking tequila, though *shrugs*) but just the same, you don't use sugar for seasoning meat, for example.

Like I said, I like both food types, so this post isn't anti sugar or anything. :p

The debate doesn't make much sense anyway - we are "programmed" to like sweet as a flavour, since it promises glucose for the brain, for example, and just the same, we can get "salt craving" and even a behavioral response of licking salt, if our blood sodium (natrium) is low.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
    Dice likes this.
  2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Sodium chloride ftw!

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Damn Skippy you have salt with Tequila! It's one of the few times I can have salt without gagging!

Also, you can use sugar to cook onions, spinach and potatos...caramelised steak...it could catch on

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ever heard of honey glazed ham?

5. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I have heard of it, actually :) but it never crossed my mind when writing the previous post. I've never tried it (so I can't comment the taste), nor had it considered as a legitimate lunch option. Does it taste sweet?

(There are also salads with fruit + vegetables or those dishes with apricots and fowl...)
    I've chosen a wrong example with the meat I guess, but still, I assume that there are legitimate dishes in which no one adds sugar/honey. Chicken soup, perhaps? (Maybe someone adds it there, too. *shrugs*)

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

DAYGOS??!! LOL, Barmy, you are the only one with brass ones big enough to use a term like that. If any of "the Family" hears you talking like that, Guido and Nunzio will make sure that you are sleeping with the fishes before your next birthday, let alone your 50th.

Back to the topic, I love salt. I put it on everything. It makes me happy. It's my white powder addiction. It drives my wife nuts.

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm not willing to do the research, but it would be interesting to see how much *food grade* salt and sugar is consumed every year...

I did a quick search and found this from the FDA:
    Not sure if that accounts for industrial use, or if that is in fact how much people ate...all I could find on salt, is that human consumption only accounts for ~17% of the industry.

And that's all the effort I'm willing to put in to that.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    So where's the sour option? I like sour things like old cheese (+2 years) and yoghurt. :yum: :yum:

9. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sorry Morgoth, that would have been a good addition. I was also considering putting the "both" option in but I really wanted people to choose one or the other even if it was close. I like some sour things as well but I'm not sure that I would consider old cheese sour. Strong and sharp maybe but I probably wouldn't use the word sour.

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Went for salty after days of indecision ;)

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Salty, for the same reasons Lore cited. Though I do have a sweet tooth sometimes. Lollipops, fudge, and sour worms are my thing. Can't beat a good steak, though.

12. jamieson Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

it depends on the food..
    but i more like sweets than salty, and specially spicy..
    i don't like spicy food!
    but I've love sweet food, really whatever it is...! :D ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.