1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Synopsis - Dancer in Distress

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Erran, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Jakob slips the purse up his sleeve before anyone else notices, then shows the map to Milla. "Milla, you seem to know a bit about this place - maybe you could have a look and see what these places Segga's circled are." Taking the keys, he begins to study their construction, noting any peculiarities, and trying to picture how he could get by without them. He leaves the cloak and hat, feeling uncomfortable about touching a dead man's clothes.

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited December 19, 2001).]

2. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Unfortunately for Jakob, both Hayden and Garacaius clearly saw the gnome peek in the purse and then slip it up his sleeve.

Although the outline of the city, built on a river delta, corresponded to what she had seen of Phlan in the atlas - nothing she had previously seen went down to the detail of buildings. 3 of the circled buildings were in the 'harbour' area, the 4th lay in the west part of town.

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Garacaius pats Jakob on the shoulder, "Sneaky as always, hehe" and then turns to Milla. "So Milla, what do we have?"

4. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Jakob coughed uncomfortably. "Just keeping in practice," he mumbled, "for the good of the party and all. I obviously still need to practice, thanks for pointing that out. I was going to keep the money for party use anyway." Jakob slipped the purse out of his sleeve and gave each member one gold piece each, and put the one left over back in the chest for later. He then went back to examining the keys.

5. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

"At least it seems that we are in the city we hoped for. And it seems we have a decent map. But what those encircled areas are I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps some plant shops."

"How about the door? Is it locked, Jakob?"

"I brought some of Seggas money. We can use that to pay off the landlord. Speaking of which, who is best suited to go and talk to him? You want me to do it?"
    Milla looks around for opinions.

6. Ksiel Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hearing Milla, Hayden glares at Jakob. So that he looks threatening, Hayden places a hand on the handle of his axe, and states in a harsh tone,

"I don't care who goes as long as it is not this little thief. He may take the money and never look back. I have trust in either you or Garac to handle this, Milla. I will stay up here with the sticky fingered halfling."

7. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Jakob glances up from studying the keys he'd found, and looks nervously at Hayden's axe. "I'm personally very offended that you mistrust me so much. I'm going to put that down to the fact that you've not known us for long - you even mistook my race," he pulls off his boots and points at his feet, "see, I'm no halfling - I'm a gnome. However, you're free to voice your opinion, and I'm okay with letting Garacaius or Milla go. My vote goes to Garacaius. No offense Milla, but I've seen him speak for us before and know that he can be persuasive. About the lock, I think you might be needing these," he says, offering the keys he's found. "I've not had all that long to look at them but they seem fairly complicated, and might even be magical. When you're done using them, I'd like to have another look at them - I think I might make out some more detail with the loupe (sp?)." He suddenly slaps his forehead. "Blast!" he cries, "I've gone and forgotten to pick up these nice tools from Segga's workshop. Oh, well - Bazza and the others probably need them more than I do anyway. One last thing - I really would prefer if you didn't both go - I don't relish the prospect of being alone with this big guy and his axe."

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited December 20, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited December 20, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited December 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited December 21, 2001).]

8. Erran Gems: 19/31

One of the keys fitted the bedroom door. A simple flight of wooden stairs led down to a hallway. Off the hall there was a wooden door with a tarnished brass plaque which simply said 'Umburto'

9. Ksiel Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Taking his hand off the handle of his axe, Hayden crosses his arms over his chest. "Halfling, gnome, makes no difference. But shoving money bags up your sleeve hoping no one sees you will not gain my trust."

Turning around to face Milla, "So do you think the rest of the group will be able to follow?"

10. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

"They should, all they need is a gem. I did leave a note behind explaining that. And besides Iztar knows what to do. I believe Sarathien still has a couple."

"As for Jakob, I will say this. He has earned my trust over and over again. The strength of this group lies in the trust we have in each other. If you don't think you can trust us then maybe we should follow different paths."

Milla turns to Garacaius.
    "Are you up to talking to the landlord? I have some money to cover expenses like this."
    Milla offers a rather heavy purse with gold to Garacaius.

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Garacaius gives Jakob the coin back, "Only a compliment of your skill little one, not that I need this," and turns around to face Milla. "Yes, sure, I'll go," and accepts the purse, packing it away as he starts walking down the stairs.

12. Erran Gems: 19/31

Sat night online
    Milla grabbed the purse and pushed ahead. She paid Umberto and they headed out onto the streets of Phlan. Comparing the map with their surroundings they were able to figure out that A was the lodging house where they entered, C was a Jeweller's shop and B was an Inn - the Laughing Goblin. Feeling hungry they entered. It was a lively Inn, with many sailors. They sat and ordered fish stew from the bartender, Sot. Enquiring about warm clothing he recommended 'Tanned Hide' leathers.

Map of Phlan now available on Baldak's page.

50xp each to Milla, Jakob and Hayden for figuring out their whereabouts.

13. Vanadin Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Finally feeling refreshed after a day in the wild, Sarathien had decided to return to Segga's hall and the rest of the group. The death of Nailo, his companion, friend and student, had struck him harder than he had thought possible, and so he had left for the sanctuary of the open air after the funeral. He had intended to be away for a few days at least, but the revitalizing air of the northlands did wonders for his old ranger heart, and now he found himself returning already. The matter at hand was too grave to be ignored.

"Old?", the ranger caught himself thinking. "I am not that old for an elf! But I guess losing someone younger than yourself always makes you feel older..."

As Sarathien got back to Segga's former hall, Bazza presented him with a letter saying he should follow his friends through the mirror. Making sure Mithollo would be taken care of, the elf gathered his gear, grabbed one of his Chardalyn gems in his hand and took a deep breath.
    The step into the mirror seemed to take an eternity as reality seemed to somehow stretch.

Tumbling out through the portal on the other side, Sarathien feels dizzy but otherwise alright. Standing up and investigating his surroundings, he finds himself in a what seems a small sleeping chamber with a chest and a locked door. Wondering where his friends have gone too, he realizes that the best thing he can do at the moment is to just sit down and relax.

14. Erran Gems: 19/31

contd in Through the Looking Glass

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.