1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tax Cut/Tax Increase

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Would you forgo a tax break or accept a tax increase to pay down your nation's debt?

1. I would forgo the tax break, but I do not want to pay more in taxes

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. I would accept a tax increase (which obviously means you're also forgoing the break)

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. I would not support either option to pay down my nation's debt!

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I've said the same thing. Obama has actually LOWERED taxes, and I doubt anyone is claiming that they have no representation in Congress (they may not like WHO they are being represented by, but that's a whole other stroy).

I also find the whole "Tea Party" thing a little ironic. They are protesting "wasteful spending", and they are doing this by buying tea and then dumping it, which seems to me to be quite a waste of money...

I agree with what you are saying. My thinking here is two-fold for why an eventual tax increase will be inevitable.

1.) The current US debt is approximately $11 trillion. That's a truck load (probably more like a train load) of debt. We cannot dig our way out of that with the current percentage the government is taking in.

2.) One of Obama's key interests is providing universal health care, and there's no extra money in the budget to do that. I cannot see how that's going to be done without raising taxes either.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eh? US gross tax revenue in 2007 was 2.6 trillion. So that's like saying you can't afford a $1,000,000 house when you make $250,000 gross a year. Sure some people can't because they spend too much, but in general you should easily be able to.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Except the US Government is one of those "some people."

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The government must still spend a whackload of money on services, even with severe cuts. Admittedly, bringing the boys* home and cutting defense spending would be an excellent step, but not nearly enough. The cuts'll have to be across the board. Foreign aid, welfare programs, civic programs, arts programs, all of them should be cut but imagine the outcry!! Everyone wants cuts until it affects them. It'll be brutal. Even if such drastic cuts can be made, tax hikes will have to be made somewhere.

*and girls!!

5. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Aldeth, I'm not sure what your point is? Obama's response seems to be the default one according to current economic theory. Cut taxes in a recession to get the economy going again. Once it does, increase taxes to pay off the debt you've incurred. Are you suggesting that you'd rather get the tax increases now (or forego tax breaks, cut spending) in order to avoid incurring the debt? There's nothing wrong with incurring debt if it's used for a good purpose and right now it's likely essential to avoid the economy getting worse.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I completely agree Deise. Obama seems to have taken to only sensible action he can at the moment. Increasing taxes iright now certainly would do no good. However, I'm looking at a broader picture than this very moment. I'm assuming that prior to Obama running for re-election in 2012, this recession will have ended. Once this current economic period ends, I think it will be time to get spending under control - much like we did in the Clinton years, when the national debt was reduced, not increased.

Are you suggesting we could ever possibly put $2.6 trillion towards the debt in a single year? Especially considering some of Obama's proposals (like universal health care) will incur additional expenses on the government? Or are you literally comparing the debt to a mortgage, one which will be paid down over the course of 30 years?

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Certainly. But should it be? Or should we hold our government to a higher standard?

Government debt is like a mortgage. Treasury bonds.

I don't care about Obama's proposals; if they cannot do them with the money they are currently getting I will not vote for them. The government needs to decide on what is most important to spend the revenue it gets. I can't force my boss to pay me more because I want a mansion in Beverly Hills.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The problem here is the American system of government -- and this is not America bashing because I love the ideals that form it. The whole system of checks and balances was designed to make it difficult for the government to accomplish things quickly. The ideal behind that was to minimize the ability of the government to interfere too much in the lives of the common people.

At least that's my understanding. I've heard the phrase by Republicans "a government so small you could drown it in a bathtub" that seems to me to reflect this desire for a small, less intrusive government.

IMHO, in practice this just deadlocks things in committees and meetings and bills being sent back and forth between the 3 big legislative bodies (House of Reps, Senate, and Presidency*) without much being accomplished**. At a time like this, this is a bad thing. The existence of "pork barrelling" and even non-porky representatives who know that supporting a particular bill might be in the best interests of the nation but giving said support for the bill will guarantee losing his seat next election.

*I'm aware that the office of the President is in fact the Executive branch and not the Legislative branch, but I use the word legislative in a broader sense in that the President does have a role in making laws, and thus he has a small "l" legislative role.

** Don't get me started on how little can be accomplished if the Judicial system gets involved and starts directing the other 2 branches to make certain laws.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Anecdotally, that's when our country has been most prosperous :)

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    BTA: If there was some plan to pay off the debt (as in the case of the mortgage you used as an example) then I would agree with you. Some debt may be acceptable. However, the national debt keeps increasing because all we have left at the end of the budget is to pay the interest, and sometimes not even that (the past four or five years for example). At the end of an interest-only mortgage, you lose your home (or pay it off in a lump sum).

I personally believe the government should only be willing to go into debt for a national emergency -- and then pay off that debt as soon as possible. To do anything else is simply robbing from one generation to pay for another.

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I agree with you. I'm simply saying the budget is not devised properly if it does not include plans for paying down the debt. Spend less; pay off more debt. Simple in words eh? ;)

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Isn't it a matter of national security that a vast amount of the US debt is held by the Chinese? As I have understood things they have the theoretical power to completely demolish the US economy by calling in those debts.

13. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Since they depend upon us to buy a lot of their products, they would trash themsleves as well.

14. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

The advantage with the US is and has allways be and probably will be for some time, is that they generally get their debt very cheaply, mainly because dollar is the most popular reserve currency and one used by China to artificially adjust the value of the Yuan downwards. This choice of policy forces China to keep very large currency reserves, in fact by far the largest in the world. Because euro is not so relevant to their exports they will probably stick to the dollar for now. If they choose to move to the euro or even increase the amount of euros in their reserve the situation will become somewhat more problematic to the United States and they won't be able to get loans so cheaply.

Chandos is also correct about the dependancy being two-sided. If China ever chose to push out the dollars they would destroy the credibility of that currency completely, and cause a hyperinflationary preassure which would cause a collapse in the US economy. At the same time however their own currency reserves would be worthless and the Yuan would effectively be set floating, not to mention the damage done to their exports, and other indirect effects caused by the collapse of global currency markets. However the US is banking their own future and the future of the entire economic system in the long-term stability of China. Something which might end up costing them a lot in the future.

The other big creditor is Japan which is a stable and reliable partner that benefits from lending money to the US through their big capital investments in there.

EDIT: According to economic theory the growing national deficit accompanied by the deficit in the current accounts should be unsustainable even in the medium run. However America usually is the prime example of economic theory failing, mostly because there is a lot of trust in the US economy, more so than in any other economy. Even now the US are expected to lift the world out of the global recession. As long as people believe that US are the engine of the global economy the US will basically be better off than anyone else and all economic trouble in the US will basically be shared by the rest of the world. Therefore this inbalance is not so dangerous as long as no one steps up to challenge the US economic hegemony.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  15. Déise

One point overlooked is that the US owes a lot of debt to foreigners, all of which is denominated in dollars. The current stimulus plans are driving down the value of the dollar, causing a fall in the real value of any dollar loans or balances held by foreigners. This could be deliberate by the US, escaping out of its debt burden by depreciating the dollar. This would leave a lot of Asian countries pretty ticked off, particularly China. By the way, this is at the country level. Don't be expecting to see a reduction in your mortgage if you're from the US.

A government should get into debt if the benefits outweight the cost of the debt. This is most obvious for capital spending (infrastructure etc.). With current spending the idea is to go against the business cycle. As good as having no debt sounds, it's almost certainly inefficient. Not that I believe politicians srutinise cost benefit analysis calculations for everything but in theory you would always expect a government to have debt, even if just for capital spending.

16. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well, the Chinese are not going to get that ticked since their own monetary policy is mostly about keeping the Yuan cheap compared to the dollar, therefore when the US press down the dollar the Chinese respond by pressing down the Yuan. The ones suffering from this are Europeans (because of the strong Euro) and countries with currencies bound to the dollar which will suffer from increased exchange rate volatility and the possible prospect of having to devalue their currencies. I personally don't think that the US are trying to intentionally pay off their debt by letting the dollar devalue, they just prioritize fixing the economy over fixing the value of the currency, and since the position of the dollar in the world markets is so strong they are most likely doing the right thing.

17. Déise

I didn't mean they'd be annoyed for trading purposes. What I meant was that the hige stockpile of dollars they already have, in cash and loans given out, will be worth less as the dollar falls. The dollar would need to fall a lot more for this to be a grave concern though, it's not something that would happen soon even if it does happen.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.