1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Texas officials covered up dangerously radioactive tap water for years

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    But that is a complaint that cuts as much against the EPA as the Texan TCEQ - the former errs on the side of caution, the latter on the side of business; ultimately in both cases out of political considerations. As a consumer I'd rather have the former.

While the EPA may be overzealous in their regulations, the DeLay variety of Republicans despises and eschews regulation per se, and if they can't abolish the regulation, they try to weaken it, like by bickering about thresholds or calculation methods.

That later school of thought brought the US the Massey mine accident, with plenty of safety violations cited, and none sanctioned. The DeLay variety of Republicans in the Bush era had gutted the responsible oversight body MSHA, and called that 'business friendly' politics.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Doesn't that really depend on cost you'll bear as a consumer. If my chances of dying from cancer drop by a factor of one in two million at a cost of $5,000 per year is it really worth it? I know I can reduce my risk of melanoma even more by simply never going in the sun ... but I like being outside so I take the risk. It's basically the same.

By the way, residents in a municipal utility district near Austin were paying nearly $1,000 per month for water (with no way to opt out) back in the 90's. The reason was mostly political but driving the purification costs of water up could cause the same types of increases.

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    It's a matter of statistics and where the radiation hits. If it hits DNA, repairs aren't so simple.

In the case of alpha radiation, 'photon' was a misnomer, as you probably know. An alpha particle is an He4 nucleus. This makes a difference because these highly energetic particles can easily punch through a cell wall and wreak havoc inside, including damaging DNA. One lucky particle in one unlucky cell has the potential to create a cancer-causing mutation. It's very unlikely, but it's possible. For this reason, any reduction down to 0 means a reduction in risk. It may be a small reduction, but it's defensible if it's balanced against cost.

That last part is the issue, of course.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Not only was I unaware of this, I was unaware that such an atom existed. Hydrogen with an atomic mass of 4? I know deuterium (atomic mass 2) and tritium (atomic mass 3) - is there a word for hydrogen with an atomic mass of four - like quatrium or something?

EDIT: Actually, hydrogen-4 is called quadrium. After reading about it, I'm dubius that this could be the cuase of of most alpha radiation. According to the article, hydrogen-4 through hydrogen-7 are not not naturally occurring, and have only been synthesized in laboratories. Furthermore, while they do decay through nuetron emission, the half life of all of these isotopes is 10-22 seconds.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He meant He; Helium, not Hydrogen...

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    We assume he meant helium ... for those interested, an alpha is a helium nucleus (i.e., no electrons), a beta is usually an electron but it can also be a positron (not to be confused with a proton), and a gamma is a photon (basically high energy light). An alpha can penetrate approximately a tenth of a millimeter in tissue, a beta will travel a few millimeter in tissue, and a gamma will penetrate completely through the body unless it directly impacts the nucleus of an atom or an electron.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    OK - I didn't realize he meant helium. Even people who aren't chemists like us usually know that hydrogen is "H" on the periodic table.

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Sorry, yeah, that should have been He. Corrected. Funny how a small typo can change the meaning of things. Interestingly, I actually hit a real isotope of hydrogen. I had never heard of anything past tritium (H3), but there is an actual H4 (halflife of less than a day).

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    As I stated in my post on the previous page, the isotopes of hydrogen go all the way up to 7, but tritium is thie highest naturally occurring one. While you're "less than a day" statement is technically true, it's a heck of a lot less than that. It's half life is much shorter than a picosecond. As I also stated in that same post, it's estimated at 1.4 X 10-22 seconds. (Note, I cannot do superscripts here - I'm not saying it's 10-22 seconds - it's base 10 to the -22 power.) So it's half life is about 0.00000000000000000000014 seconds.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.