1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The 100 Games You Must Own

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Harbourboy, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Sales figures Rednik...its all about the sales figures...

For the people making the list atleast. I think they're going by the preorders for Halo 2, to add it in the list...

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ugh, I hated the first Halo and will no doubt hate the second. Half-Life 1 was much better than Halo, and that's a feat I'm sure Half-Life 2 will repeat against Halo 2.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Crying out loud, they have 'snooker' as a game of chioce! I can understand playing games like soccer, football and racing on the computer because they require far more time to setup and the chances of injury are alot higher. But can't you just go down to your local pool hall if you want to play snooker?

Never EVER trust game reviews from game retail companies. If you can buy a game via a company that is reviewing something, take about 25% off the review score.

4. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Well that's not necessarily true. I mean, were someone at Sorcerers Place to do a review on NWN, they wouldn't put a positive spin on it just because you can buy the game through SP, who therefore recieves a pittance.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Define 'someone at Sorcerers Place' though. Do you mean like Tal or someone like me?

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Doesnt matter Abomination. Tal's not going to say a game is the next big thing, just because it's d&d. He'll give it a fair hearing, just the same as anyone else.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31

It's not because it's D&D, it would be because he could make money by making the game sound better than it really is. Not necessarily by lying about the game but maybe 'forgetting' to mention all of its faults. However, Sorcerers' is more of a community than a store and if Tal was to prove otherwise then account holders would probably drop.

I was talking more about organisations such as Electronics Botique releasing their own ratings of a game. You just wouldn't trust it, especially while it's sitting on one of their shelves and they're trying to sell it to you.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'd never lie about how I felt about a game, or omit anything on purpose. SP makes so little money from the few games sold through our links at 5% commission, it'd be hardly worth it. Even when every other site out there was hyping NWN, I've made my opinion of it quite clear...

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Fight the machine, Tal.

Anyway, suffice to say, that list is bust.

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Ah, but Tal, the difference between SP and EB is that SP doesn't have any inventory whereas EB does - they took the risk of purchasing the games from the supplier, now they have to sell them to make profit. Not that there's anything bad with upping the review if you're trying to sell it, shame on the consumer for not getting information from other reviewers.

Besides Tal, we all know you wouldn't lie about a game. You're too nice for that :) But as Mystra's Chosen said "That list is bust"...

Hmmm, gives me an idea for a topic...

11. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I've played about a third of those games, and have about 20. Some (like Doom3) I ripped off to dvd, and chucked the cdrom.

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

I don't know Abomination. How can a guy with a name like Urban be nice? Sounds pretty gnarly to me.

BTW, Urban is Tal's RL name.

Seriously though, can ANYONE defend their decision for Animal Crossing?

13. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

I've got forty. The list is crap, at least two thirds of that list was scarcely even worth renting. The worst example's "The Thing. " Just... eugh. That was the worst gaming experience of my life.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Make your say in my new thread! Can't miss the damn thing. Why're you posting here? Tal/Urban: this means you! Let's hear what the God of SP has to say, I might grant you double nomination points or put a 'Tal's nomination' in the "pros" section :p

15. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Hmmm I must admit there are only a handfull of games on there worth playing, thats the 13 that I own... including titles like BGII, MGS, WCIII, Resident Evil, Halo... ohhh...

I have played about 75-85 of the games though and owned about 35-50 odd at some point but got bored and threw them out the window :lol:

16. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I have six of those games:

- Baldur's Gate 2
    - Civilization 3
    - The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
    - Escape from Monkey Island
    - Grim Fandango
    - Neverwinter Nights

And I haven't even played Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights yet.

But I have to say, that I am surprised that they put in Grim Fandango. It is quite old (1998), in comparison with the other games. But it is a good game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.