1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Commonly Confused Words Test

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Ofelix, Jul 28, 2005.

1. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

You scored higher than 38% on Beginner

You scored higher than 30% on Intermediate

You scored higher than 57% on Advanced

You scored higher than 58% on Expert

you guys make me feel stupid lol

2. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

You scored 100% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 100% Expert! :book:

Never knew that payed/paid one...

3. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 86% Expert!

I'm content with that. Although I did study English for my A-levels... I got these wrong:

They __________ her for murdering her children.
    She complains to __________ will listen.

4. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

92% Beginner, 85% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 100% Expert

5. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Advanced
    You scored 85% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 80% Advanced, and 53% Expert!

Hehe, not quite as remarkable as the others :p However, I haven't attended an english lesson since early 2004, and with that in mind, I'm satisfied :)

And english IS NOT my mother tongue :p

6. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    English Genius
    You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 100% Expert!

Apparently I chose stationary instead of stationery and ensure instead of assure. Don't understand why ensure isn't correct. It's stronger than assure but not entirely impossible imo.

Guess my English prof is smiling now though. ;)

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

English Genius
    You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 86% Expert!
    You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

Well, considering it's why I left PPG, I *had* to take this test. :grin: :pope:

My only hesitation was about 'stationary' versus 'stationery'. I couldn't for the life of me remember which is the unmoving object and which is the piece of paper!

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh, I am supposed to be an English teacher and I "only" got:

English Genius
    You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 80% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

As usual I probably got every single one wrong which I wasnt completely sure of. Why is it always like that? Statistically you ought to get at least some of the answers you chance on correct but I always get 100% of the ones I am not sure on wrong.

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Stationery and paper share a common ending, the '-er' part. Like the old adage for remembering which word to apply, principal/-ple, "the school principal is your pal." :roll:

10. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I wasn't entirely sure about the principal/principle one. He's called the headmaster here.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 100% Expert!

I didn't really think I'd bother doing it all to the end, so I breezed through the first part without even reading it properly. :shake:

P.S.

I hope none of you have given out any true information like your real mail, location, ZIP code or whatever... I've never seen such a stinking attempt at collecting private information before. Since they know that people will be frustrated at taking such a long quiz, and then not being able to see the results until they divulge a ton of personal information, they get a wealth of very useful data to sell to spammers and advertisers. Disgusting, really.

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Are you kidding, Tal? I don't even give my true age! :nono:

:shame: on you for breezing.

13. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Rastor, you just have to remember to stick to your principles ;)

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Advanced
    You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 73% Expert!

chee. i'm frickin ashamed :o

15. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Don't be ashamed, Enagonios. These are commonly misunderstood words. I always confuse who/whom and then/than.

16. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

You scored 92% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 66% Expert!

I are an genus!

17. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

English Genius
    You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 93% Expert!

The ones I got wrong:
    5. He _____ to the banquet with Naomi and __I__.
    25. Speeding in your car is __both__.
    31. They __hung__ her for murdering her children.

18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    English Genius
    You scored 92% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 93% Expert!
    You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

For the complete Answer Key, visit my blog: http://shortredhead78.blogspot.com/.

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    :cry:

Didn't know a couple of words.

BTW, there'a a fourth "while" that's correct. "To stay for awhile" is valid, if odd.

20. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You scored 92% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 80% Advanced, and 73% Expert!

"Speeding in your car is __________" Both risky and risque are appropiate for this blank surely? People can take offense at people speeding to the point where they could consider it improper "risque - suggestive of or bordering on indelicacy or impropriety" so it would not be a confused word just a different but still appropiate word.

The same is true of

" He did not deserve the __________ because he cheated" whereby medal or metal (both nouns) are appropiate answers. If the prize were a lump of metal and not a medal then metal is correct, if it were a medal then that is correct. So both can be appropiately used in the context.

Couldn't choose between flair or flare and yokes or yolks so I guessed and I think I got both wrong.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.