1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The DaVinci Code (the movie)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Kitrax, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Aye, Tom Hanks is a fine actor. Ian McKellen must be on the top 5 of my favourite actors, so i'll watch the movie just for that.

Shame about Harrison Ford. A decade sooner and he'd make a great Langdon. Too much of an oldtimer now. He has that cowboy feel Hanks just doesnt. Half a ruffian in fact :)

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@DR

James Spader? Really? I don't know, he always struck me as a.. "bad guy" kind of type :D

Since your reference made me think of someone related, Dylan McDermott(sp?) from the Practice would've done pretty well imo.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Enag

I used to think of Spader that way too...until I saw him as Daniel Jackson in "Stargate" and the good cop in that bad Keanu Reeves/Marisa Tomei serial killer movie. He does play a brainy, thoughtful protagonist, and plays it well. It's his ability to speak so intelligently (his grammar is impecable and aristocratic - like you'd expect a harvard professor to sound) that makes him such a good villain, but unfortunately I think he gets overlooked for good-guy roles because of it.

McDermott wouldn't be too bad, except I always think of him a southern boy ever since "Steel Magnolias," which is the first movie I ever saw him in.

*shudder* Gawd, Steel Magnolias...what a horrible piece of sh*t that was....ugh...

Sorry I brought it up, kids.

5. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Spader would be a good chance, too bad the film is already made :D

I don't see Dylan McDermott as Langdon, I remember him as Death Rabbit described, even more than in the Practise, which I watched almost the whole serie. The other movie I remember of him is Three to tango, where he wasn't too good.

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31

An old thread bump, but I have questions.

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Is this movie worth $30 (ticket price + snackoids for 2 people)?

What is this 'code' anyway?

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's probably worth going to watch, but it's nothing special.

There's not really a 'code' in it, as such. Bit of a misleading title if there ever was one.

(30 dollars??? change your cinema!)

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31

The tickets are $10 each, but it's the popcorn and drink that kills me. :money:

I haven't read the book (sounds like a snoozer to me), so I don't know if it talks about this 'code'. From what I've heard from friends who've read it, there's no real connection between DaVinci and any sort of code. Just wondered if it got changed in the film.

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

The people who have seen it told me it is a lot of talking... basically, all the action is in the trailer. I'm not sure If I would spend money on that in theatres, but perhaps wait until DVD. There are other good entertainment out right now anyway.

10. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

€ 7 here, each; popcorn+coke medium menu: € 6 each... try to kill those thieves: priceless.

I think it is called DaVinci Code because a 'code' is left in a DaVinci picture, and that's where the movie/book starts. As I said, I think.

11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Might be off-topic, but I heard they intend to make a movie of another of the guy's book... "Demons & Angels", I believe.

12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Angels and Demons ;) It is the book that preceedes this one... I would think they would only make it if this was a success.

13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    WooHoo! For 'Angels and Demons'! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: If they though getting a permit to film inside the Louvre was hard...try getting a permit to film the Pope's personal library, St. Peter's Tomb, and the dozens of other "sacred" or overly private places around the Vatican City... :eek:

I saw the DaVinci Code last week...and it was GREAT! :thumb: Hanks was brilliant, and Audrey Tautou was surprisingly good...and HOT! :love:

I heard that some critics didn't like the movie because Ron Howard made it too similar to the book...which is odd because most 'book movies' aren't close enough to the book... :skeptic:

The best part is, there are going to be a lot more people questioning the "church", which is a good thing since religion in general is crap. But that's besides the point.

So all you nay-sayers, shut up and go see the movie! And kuemper, switch to a new theater. It's $7.50 after 4pm here...and you don't need to waste money on their rip-off sodas, candy, or popcorn. Every time my fiancé and I go to see a move, I sneak in a full bag of Starbursts, a can of Mt. Dew, and can of Root Beer...and we've never been stopped. :thumb: :rolling:

14. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I seen it a few days ago in the cinema, it was ok, nothing amazing, the girl has lovely eyes, it was a shame she looked so un-sexy in the movie.

15. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I seen it on the weekend, and it was okay, but that was it.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Everyone I know that saw it was disappointed, those who read the book and those who didn't. I'll wait for the dvd. They should've gone with Angels and Demons in the first place. Far superior and more interesting story imo. The only reason this hunkajunk got made was because so many shmucks kept hyping it up as "controversial" or "heretical". Wankers.

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Seen it on DVD, nothing to spend money on, so I didn't... *snore*

Wow, people are suddenly questioning the church and some whackjob is making loads of money on it... Satan would have been proud.

And BTW, Angels and Demons is exactly the same as Da Vinci Code, okay, it is spelt different. I'll grant you that one.

18. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

For God's sake, how many people took the message of this book seriously? It's a work of fiction based on a rickety framework of theological speculation, and people are treating it like the Gospel According to Some Hack Author. Let's go through the facts, shall we?

1. There is a Christian Church.
    2. there is an organisation called Opus Dei.
    3. A guy named Da Vinci painted a picture.

That's it. Okay?

And how the Goddamn dirty monkey-punching Beelzebub can you make such a freaking generalised statement?
    can I detect the faint but easily identififable odour of the increasingly common militant atheist?
    I think I can.

[ May 30, 2006, 02:16: Message edited by: Mediocre Man ]

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Much in common with the Bible, don'tcha think? :grin:

How did you see it on DVD when it's only been released for 4 days or so? Is it already out on video in Europe?

20. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It certainly is in China. My girlfriend bought me a copy of Hellboy when she was over there, a full week before it hit theaters. :shake:

Studios often send out prescreening copies to critics in advance of the movie's release, so critics can review the movie from home. There's always a big hullubaloo made about keeping these advance copies absolutely top secret and destroying them afterward. But obviously, not everyone behaves themselves and copies get out to the bootleggers. Oftentimes these bootlegs have "ADVANCE SCREENING - DO NOT DISTRIBUTE" or something flashing across the screen during the opening credits.

That's probably what he's talking about, or something similar.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.