1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The game - Half-Life 2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by teekc, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

That must be because you used turrents instead of TURRETS. :grin: :spin:

In my case, I set them up to the other side of that hallway, myself securing their back. Those soldiers just ran straight at 'em and pushed them off like toys, no matter how I set them up. (****ty turrets can't keep off even one combine soldier when I can do it with a single pistol bullet :nolike: )

So I just ended up taking residence inside one of the cells, pointing my crosshair to one spot, and waiting for them to come in a nice line. Shotgunned them ALL after that. :shake:

2. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Poor you. BTW, there is 2 "3 Turrets" parts. In the 1st I really sucked, got hammered, in the second (just before the teleport) I set them up properly and only had to put them back up twice. They killed, oh, 50+ Combine with no help.
    The story was GOOD! (IMO)

SPOILER
    The end sequence was lame.. did she die or does the G-man save her too?
    /SPOILER

OK, I'm no longer a fanatical DOOM3 fan. I'm now a fanatical HL2 fan.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

She kicked the bucket. Can you imagine *Gman* actually *saving* her -that annoying witch? I think not. :shake:

But I have to agree that the end was perhaps a bit too quick and left way too much unexplained. Why was Freeman fighting all along? Against *who* was he fighting all this time? I felt it was quite disappointing how the (stub of) story had shifted from scifistic alien-shooter to a more regular war-shooter... Most of the time you hardly even see any of the aliens introduced in HL1. :(

4. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31

She wasn't THAT bad, although I hated her being able to turn a pistol into a machinegun.

Meh, I liked the "Combine" idea, especially the Synth war machines. (gunship gunship gunship!!!!) They should have implemented the Hydra, they would have been able to put it somewhere. Wouldn't have been too hard at long range... or if all else failed just in a cutscene. Maybe a expansion or a mod (and once again gamers fall back on the modding community to do what studios can't or won't) :rolling:

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, I still haven't played it. But I've read the plot summary, and checked the walkthrough.

At first I was pretty disappointed. But then I remembered games like Turok and Castle Wolfenstein; the path is more important than the goal. They say it's supposed to be the same way with sex...and with martial arts.

I think I'm going to watch the walkthrough, one more time. It's a better movie than most of the ones out right now down at the theatre...

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

You still watch those cheap and not-so-cheap Hollywood movies when we have games/Internet/computers? :shake: :rolling:

7. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31

gaah!

EJ, get it. Steam IS the greatest proof of the existence of the devil when you're using dial-up and it's decrypting the whole thing, BUT the walkthrough doesn't do it justice. One of my favorite parts was dodging APC guided missiles in Route Kanal - just standing there, waiting, and stepping at the last second.

Walkthroughs can't describe that sort of thing.

I never watch action movies anymore... why, when I can set them up on my computer?

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Before i get this game, i'd like to hear some comments on the story below....

Sorry people but I'd have to add my 5 cents here too. They think they are purchasing a product when in fact they are purchasing junk. (without offence meant to anyone)

As far as I'm concerned it's not just a case of tracking down illegal copies. That can and will be bypassed steam or no steam. Every copy protection known to man has been broken and so will this one in good time. All it really does mean is that if you haven't got the internet, you now need it to play the monstrosity you have just waited close to 3 years for. Oh and if you don't have a modem, then you had better purchase on of those cause you need it to be able to access the internet to begin with.
    Think that's bad! There's more! Live in Australia? Then most companies won't even sign you up unless you use a credit card. So, after a 3 year wait, I need to go out and get myself a credit card, buy a modem, subscribe to the internet and then spend a $100 to buy a game.

Gets better still! After all that crap and for god knows what reason anyone in their right mind would want to actually go through it, you can't play the game because CD/DVD emulation software is detected.

So, next time someone shoots up the local mall, I don't wonder how people like this can exist among us. But why we still have to lead them to it.

Besides all that, yes I did buy HL2 and yes I am playing it but should I have known that it needed an online connection, I would have never bothered to begin with.

This was posted by someone i know on another forum, and the topic started with the story that you HAVE to be online to be able to play HL2. So any comments on this issue ?

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Pfeh, there is a cracked, no-Steam ISO available on Torrent-networks, so this kind of copy-protections just encourages to get warez. It's the same things as with RIAA: the more they piss off people, the more they lose. I didn't buy this game, even though I was tempted to for a while, and I really have to wonder why anyone would go to such lenghts just to appease a company that should server YOU in the first place. :shake:

Fun game, in any case. :grin:

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I don't have this game. But I've been reading about the issues with Nvidia's code-path, and the quality/performance hit associated with it.

Check this out.

THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE A BIT MISLEADING. The patch is made for cards that are DirectX9 cards, but Valve decided to use DirectX8 for them. If you haven't been reading about the Nvidia configuration with this game, it centers around Nvidia being forced to use DirectX 8.1 reflections (along with shaders). It has to do with the architecture of the two cards.

The Ati card is hardware locked to 24 bit. It's only locked to 24bit on one specific shader, but that shader is the same one that Nvidia "optimizes" their drivers to switch to FP16, rendering all the other shaders with full 32bit precision. It's a really complex shader compared to all the others, and it's the same reason why Microsoft wrote 24bit precision as the "standard" for that specific shader. So, the Nvidia cards can do 16/32bit, the Ati does 32bit on all shaders except that single one, where it does 24 bit. Hence, everyone refers to Radeons as 24bit precision cards, even though it's only one single shader which they do 24bit on; the limiting reagent holds back the reaction.

Valve got something like $6 million to code for Ati's cards. The Geforce6 came out, and as such, Valve dropped their coding for 32bit precision on the Geforce5 DirectX9 path. It was taking them an enormous amount of time to "tweak" the Geforce5 cards to switch between FP16/32 on different shaders.

The end result (of Valve's game) is if you have a Geforce5 card, even though your card is capable of DirectX9 shaders, it's using DirectX8. There is a noticable difference in quality. Using DirectX9, you will not only see things that were not there before in DirectX8, but you can also drop the precision down to 16bit and get an enormous performance boost. There are three "workarounds" for the issue, right now. If you have a Geforce 4/5700/5900/5900XT/5950/5950U; you want to apply one of the workarounds. You get higher quality graphics, as well as a significant performance boost (as high as 45% has been reported, but you can expect 30%).

1. Use 3Danalyze to make your Nvidia card seen as a Radeon 9800Pro, and use the "low precision shader" (FP16) option.

2. Edit one of the .dll files, so that your Nvidia card uses the Radeon 9800Pro code-path. It's a fairly simple operation, and it has the benefit of being saved back in case you need to re-install the game later for whatever reason.

3. Download the "mod".

[edit: THIS THREAD HAS SCREENSHOTS. Judge for yourself if the work is worth your time.]

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

What a bunch of :bs:

Two years long I don't know how many gamers told me to upgrade my Nvidia 5700 card because it would be to slow bla bla bla.

It's running smooth on a medium graphic level. By far enough for me.

12. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31

Pac man: After decrypting, I've been playing HL2 for 2 weeks with Steam in offline mode.... which is not to say that the guy shooting up the mall is unlikely to be me. While waiting for the damn 56k modem to decrypt HL2 I ended up throwing something. Cleaning up the glass kept my attention elsewhere though. Frankly, if the actual game wasn't so hyped and wasn't actually good enough to have just been named the GOTY by the local paper, it would have ben the first game to sell precisely 0 copies. We tolerate this **** from Valve because we love them and they make great games, but they CANNOT treat the community like rubbish and expect this to continue.

Damn straight. It'll be funny when some less known or less respected company tries this. Worst Selling Game Ever.

On the other issue, what they are trying to do with this protection is create a shell hard enough to withstand the efforts of everyone for up to 5 years. When the app is on their computer, when Valve can't patch what they consider to be problems without permission, and when source code has been leaked.

Give up.

13. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I just got to Ravelnholm after a smooth installation and and some serious gaming this afternoon, and I have to say, this is the best shooter I have ever played in my life.

Water Hazard may have just eclipsed Surface Tension as my favorite level ever.

[ December 12, 2004, 20:57: Message edited by: Rednik ]

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Ever and ever... or at least until Daikatana 2 comes out. :shake:

15. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If it's anything like Daikatana 1, I'll buy 10 copies.

16. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31

Heh heh heh. Yes, you do that, and... play it against yourself on a LAN?
    To sum up: IMO, this game is great because it's like Painkiller with a story and believable plot.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.