1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Importance of Personal Experience (+Facts, Statistics and Opinions)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Splunge, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Why and how did Einstein discover The Theory of Relativity? Was it based on statistics or experience or just because he was a genius not bound to either?

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Einstein

I would call it a combination of statistics (empirical data), personal observations and genius (ability to think "outside the box").

The speed of light was known way before 1905, and it was known to be constant, no matter how a lightsource and an observer moved relative to each other. All other physicists believed that lightwaves propagated in the "ether", and that somehow this ether was moving along with the Earth (otherwise the speed of light would have depended on the movement of the observer through the ether, and the speed of light would change with the Earth's movement around the Sun).

The statistics - the empirical data - was there for all to see, but Einstein was the only physicist to realize that lightwaves didn't propagate in the ether, and that the fact that the speed of light was constant meant that Newton's classical physics was wrong. Other physicists drew the wrong conclusions.

(Note: This is the Special theory of relativity. The General theory of relativity from 1915 also explains deviations from classical physics but deals with movement in strong gravitational fields. It is also so complicated that very few physicists really understand it - and I am NOT one of them. ;))

Ironically, Einstein didn't receive the Nobel prize for his theories of relativity but for his explanation of the photoelectric effect.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    by Montresor

Another element enters our discussion. The ability to take experience and statistics and arrive at new ideas. I think this last is of equal importance to the first two. We can be hampered by our experiences and we can be misled by statistics. However if we have the ability to reason we can take our experiences and with the use of statistics add in the experiences of others and arrive at a new theory. If that can be tested then we have a new fact to add to our knowledge.

From this my thinking is that experience and statistics are of equal importance but it is what we are able to do with them that is the most important thing.

I bet a lot of cave men/women saw fire and felt its warmth, saw round logs and stones rolling down a hill but it took one with the ability to see further, to see the ways in which these could be applied to their own lives to make use of them.

4. Ghaldring Banned

Drew:
    If you had paid attention to the very 'research' (aka. Opinion pieces) you cited, you would realize that the scientists you quoted believe that the concept of race is both superficial and inappropriate to categorize the human species. I'm not sure if I subscribe to such a theory, but I'm willing to speak their language just for the sake of making an argument, while appeasing you.

Are populations of varying biogeographical origin are equal? Do they have the same mean 'potential' in all aspects of life? If so, is this belief supported by facts and statistics?

Fantastic deflection. As to those who are bitching that race vs. race has nothing to do with this thread, you're incorrect. 'Feel good' egalitarian beliefs that liberals such as Drew tend to hold are not conclusively supported by any hard data or fact. Yet this doesn't stop them from holding to such beliefs.

5. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Ghaldring: Whatever you want to think about the equality or inequality of race is fine, but we're way off-topic, aren't we? If you want to argue about whether one race is inherently smarter than another, and whether the burden of proof should lie in proving the affirmative or the negative, start another thread. (Just don't be surprised when I don't join you there.)

I think that we shouldn't be pitting statistics and experience against each other, actually. In order to make a plausible argument about anything, you really need both. If the statistics (raw data) countermand your experience (common sense), something is usually wrong. The discussion that follows shouldn't be about which is more important. They are both important. The discussion should be about how we reconcile the data with common sense. Data is what it is. It makes no judgments, has no bias, and makes no inherent arguments. Judgments, bias, and arguments are a function of interpretation, which falls under the category of common sense. Common sense (aside from not being very common) is every inch as important as data.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  6. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    @Drew: How very true.
    Both personal experience and statistics are useful on their own, but are best when used together. Statistics can be wrong, or simply made up. Comparing them to personal experience is something we do naturally (e.g you see a statistic that says x is more likely then y, yet you know from experience this is not the case.) However the process works both ways and statistics can cause you do doubt personal experience.

Is one better then the other? The situation will dictate.
    My :2c:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.