1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Kingdom of Aryol, and its many heroes...please be critical !

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by The_Apprentice, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Alright, you wanted me to read this, so I'm going to be mean (after all, if I'm not, how will you improve? :p ). Yep, a real literary critique. Feel flattered, I don't often bother.

Anyways.

You do have a way with words, however, it's obvious that you're putting together a text using phrases you've heard before. That is, cliched phrases. My advice to you is, when you're writing, to experience what you're writing with your own "eyes" rather than through the eyes of others (metaphorically speaking. And yes, I know it sounds cheesy). That is, for example, don't think about how Tolkien or whichever publicized and acclaimed fantasy author would describe a battle scene - think about how you would describe it.

Two things make a good author. The first is their spark of originality, in the use of ideas, but also in the use of language. The second is having something to say. I'm sure you can write a good fantasy story, but will it be anything more than a fantasy story? Do you have something you want to tell people? Now, I want you to run along and read a couple of books (if you haven't read them already), not just for content but for style.

These for originality, style, and a lot of other things (real masterpieces):
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez - "100 Years of Solitude"
    Salman Rushdie - "The Satanic Verses"
    Toni Morrison - "Song of Solomon"

An example of fantasy books with something to say (if I think of more for this list, I'll edit the post...):
    Richard Goodkind - "Faith of the Fallen"
    Philip Pullman - "His Dark Materials" trilogy: "The Northern Lights", "The Subtle Knife", "The Amber Spyglass".
    P.C. Hodgell - "Dark of the Gods". This one's a personal favorite, but odds are you won't be able to find it.

And remember, buy through SP (if at all possible)! ;)

[ December 09, 2003, 10:21: Message edited by: Tiamat ]

2. The_Apprentice Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Thanks for your feedback! Obviously I would be affected by well known authors, and the descrptions they use, however I feel that the majority of what I say is my own.

I apreciate the book list on originality, but the other one, on Fantasy I have to disagree with.

I thought Paulmen mixed and matched Sci-Fi and Fantasy, as well as mathamatics, in order to create a mediocore set of books. I prefer Wilbur Smith, Bernard Cornwell, Raymond E. Feist, etc...although Terry Goodkind was very good

Once again, I apreciate yout feedback, and will play closer attention to my descrptions to ensure they are my own, rather than borrowed from another author.

Thank you so much for your feedback, and although I don't understand stome of it, will try and take the majority to heart.

[ December 09, 2003, 22:44: Message edited by: The_Apprentice ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.