1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The perfect paladin....

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shura, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

2. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Religion, particularly Christianity is a horrible mental disease. I like that post, Septic, it rings true. Fanatics like this guy are a perfect example of what happens when this disease festers. Fines for oral sex!?!?! I know that will never fly, especially when you consider our President's fondness for a good knob slobbing. Nor could I imagine being denied the flavor of a woman's um... "love nectar". This man is truly sick, and a good advertisement for the contraceptives he hates so much. Furthermore, I'd like to state that the bible is a carefully crafted work of fiction that has preyed on the ignorant for far to long. And before anyone gets in an uproar about that, these beliefs are no less ridiculous than the gods of the Greeks, Romans, Aztecs, and so on. Try telling a Roman of his time that the sun wasn't really a man riding a flaming chariot, or that the world is round for that matter. You would be a laughingstock. Mass ignorance is dangerous.

The "truth" can always be questioned.

3. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I disagree with some of your points. I don't think we can group this guy with all other people who believe in certain religions, including Christianity. Some of the nicest people I know are Christians and Muslims. It's the radical extremists that give every other person who believes in something a bad name.

As far as the bible is concerned, I wouldn't say all of it is fiction. It is a collection of ancient scriptures, but some of the messages still have use today. My problem with the bible is that devout believers claim that it is a the word of God, no questions asked, when in fact it is just a compilation written and put together by regular men and women. I sometimes wonder about the scrolls and scriptures that hit the cutting room floor. What did they have to say? It is sort of a joke.

But... I think the world requires some form of structure, and that is what religion does for us. Where do you think our laws and morals originate from?

4. hooligan_inc Guest

Oh per-lease do not start a religious war and get us locked. people can live their lives however they like.

5. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I agree whole-heartedly with Hooligan! This bickering over religion and which is and which is not right is absolutely pointless, pathetic and childish.

6. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I agree. Evolution is the way to go.

:D

Syl...

7. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

I guess my post did sort of have a 'thumping' quality to it now that I read it again.

I'm just trying to say that people need to be open minded, and not automatically stereo type groups of people. A good person is not made by what he believes or thinks is right.

Or a bad person for that matter.

8. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

How noble, unfortunately religion does not agree with this point. Look at all the death penalties and tortures for apostates, and look at all the holy wars happening today.

Yes, religion is ALL FAKE.

9. Roghnaithe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yes I agree religion can be just as detrimental as it can be good for people. I do not know about the rest of you, or where your from, but that is the great thing about my country because I get to choose whether or not I wish to follw a particular religion. No one forces anything on me.

Just like to add to what Lord Mo said about open-minded. People force their beliefs on other people, that is when violence occurs. The fault here lies with human behavior, not with the concept of most religions.

[This message has been edited by Roghnaithe (edited January 18, 2001).]

10. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I have met a few devoutly religious individuals in my 21 year tenure on this "ball o' mud" and they were good people. I like to philosophize with them, and I find that each conversation leaves me with a little more insight. I was pretty fired up when I saw that website, and that's my only defense (as feeble as it may be) for the strength of my words.
    I wish to state a few things, however. First and foremost, religion has never been a part of my life, it never will be. I wasn't baptized ever, and for that I believe myself pure. I treat nearly everyone with respect, I've never stolen, and I am often too honest for my own good. If you "need" a religion to make you a good person, more power to you, I guess. I try to stand as proof, and a beacon, if I may be so immodest, to others that religions are unnecessary. I understand that it is, for the most part, a lesson in morals, but so were Aesop's fables. I'm fairly sure that there was a man named Jesus Christ, I'm sure he was an excellent man, a true martyr. Bear in mind that Christianity wasn't founded until roughly 400 years after the death of Christ. Considering the ignorance of the average person of this period in time, stories can get ridiculously blown out of proportion. Ever play a game of telephone?
    I try to look at the big picture, and I see nothing but division, arguments, and destruction of our species being maintained so long as religions are prevalent in the international society. There can only be one truth, and I don't believe an omnipotent man in the sky is it. That's my two dollars worth, and if you don't agree with me, I hope you will at least acknowledge the wisdom of my words.

An afterthought, Sniper, we’ve all read your posts; and I for one, will tell you that you have nothing to stand on when deeming something "pathetic" and/or "childish". You will learn this as you grow older.

11. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

Isn't it great how a few pints of beer can give a person so much clarity of thought. You have some good points there Wise and, Grey. I especially like your telephone analogy. There definately has to be some sort of universal truth or grand unified theory out there, but if I had an idea about what it was I wouldn't be posting here.

I just wonder if we as a society are better off being so free to do and say anything we want. I believe in this freedom, but many people just take it too far. I have only to look as far as kids in my neighborhood to see that many of them lack any sort of respect for authority or discipline. We look at irreconcilable differences between religions, but what about kids? I read some of the posts on this site about one group hating another because of the music they listen to or the clothes that they wear and it seems pointless. I guess we had these sort of groups when I was a kid, but I just wore jeans and a t-shirt and got along with anyone.

I do relate to you when you talk about just being a good person without the aid of religion. I had mentioned that I know many good people who are religious, well I also know alot of hypocrytical morons who claim to be Christians.

More food for thought.

12. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Argh!!! That site has made me want to grab my genital slicing katana and go on a rampage in the nearest church!!!
    SING CHOIR BOY SING!!! NOW YOU CAN SING LIKE THAT FOREVER!! *Swwcckk* (Insert high pitched scream)
    BWAHHAAAHAHAHAHA

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I think it is a far better thing to have the freedom to speak your mind than to live in fear of voicing them.

It's the blessing and curse of democracy. You have the right to say anything you please, but you also have to listen to everyone elses opinions as well. Even the unpopular, idiotic, and the controversial.

I personally think it's one of the best things about the United States. I think it's great to have people constantly challenging your convictions, ideals, and attitudes. I think overall it makes people better, especially if the interaction causes one to look into themselves to see what they truly believe in.

The problem is that too often people in general feel that it is their way or no way, closing their minds to other points of view. That is what leads to disrespect, intolerence and violence.

I don't mean being politically correct (I personally hate pc crap!) such as bowing to every whiny little interest group that complains about whatever. I mean acknowledging divergent points of view and questioning/challenging ideas.

Well, there's my opinion...Feel free to challenge it! That's what life is all about.
    I'll also add the obligatory green smiley :D

[This message has been edited by Sir Belisarius (edited January 18, 2001).]

14. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] :D Hear, Hear! :D

My opinion exactly, Sir Bel. Quite the voice of reason amidst all this, aren't you? Heh, heh ...

15. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Well thank you, thank you very much. (Say this to yourself in your best Elvis voice - otherwise, it won't be funny at all) :D

16. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

17. hooligan_inc Guest

Look, It is far more brave to be religious now than ever. I'm not myself and i really admire the people who are. I've seen the stick these people get, so just ease of the whole religion angle, OK? ;)

18. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I personally think that people who take the piss out of other religions have limited mental capabilities, immaturity, not fully educated and have a poor sense of thinking and reasoning.

19. Sol'Kanar Guest

I must agree with Sniper and Shura, since I got to this topic a bit late. This site makes me tremble with rage. It makes my hands itch for a knife. These people make me feel so angry. I was having a good night until I saw that sight. Never have I personally witnessed so much hipocrisy crammed into one space at once. I have to go kill paladins to make myself feel better. I wish I had EQ so I could go kill paladins in that as well. And perhaps UO just for paladins. Also I am emailing the site to my wiccan friend so that he too may see the injustice.

[This message has been edited by Sol'Kanar (edited January 20, 2001).]

20. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Sorry guys, he shut down the site.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.