1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The "Reality" of a Personal Evil

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mathetais, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But isn't that reality? How many religions are there in just this world? And do they not all claim to be the source of Objective Truth?

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

BTA - that's a whole new topic, "What is TRUTH" and can one worldview claim to have objective truth.

I would hold that there is one objective truth which is revealed in manifold ways. Natural revelation = Natural Law. These are things that all groups hold to be true (more or less). Special Revelation would be (IMO) the Bible, which details more of the metaphysical Truths of the universe.

If there is no Objective Truth, then we cannot know or do anything, we cannot say anything, nor can we live in society.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I don't now knowledge of Religions but there is a difference between the Cristian religion and ANY other religion in the world.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, I did not question that there exists an Objective Truth. What I questioned was does an absence of a god necessitate the absence of an Objective Truth? Does a god have to be the source of Truth?

5. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Think about it for one moment... Why do people act with good morals? Answer: Because almost everyone benefits from it. If people act hostilly toward each other, almost nobody is happy besides the one. I think people have kind of come together and realized that it's better to treat one another decently because we function better that way. Of course, that still leaves the question of why there is evil still in the world.

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Vile, I agree completely.
    Though would we know what is good, if we did not know what is evil?

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited July 07, 2001).]

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

well for me it ain't a question. Read Genesis........

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    And had you been born in a remote place where the Bible never reached? What then?

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Natural Revelation. Everything in general that we need to know is expressed through creation. (To me that answer isn't 100% satisfying, but its the best that I have)

10. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

that is quite a hard question and i wish i would've chimed in earlier i'm sure my opinion was swayed by all the previous posts but i'll try to give the untainted version.

what is evil exactly. it is hard to say one person's evil may be another person's good. it really is an abstract subject the whole idea of good and evil. for instance one might say that lying to someone is a horrible thing to do, but what if that lie was to spare the person's feelings or to quell a riot anything can be looked at as evil or good. truth on the other is completely the same for all people when one lies it is a lie to everyone they may not realize it but it still is, it is a completely literal term and one not to be taken in a realative sense, one person's truth is another person's lie simply makes no sense. and finally as for whether there is some ultimate manifestation of evil such as say satan, i cant say i believe in that in even the slightest, how can such a being of ultimate evil exist, for that to be true there would have to be an ultimate being of good, and if that were true in the end there would be ultimately just neutrality and i for one cannot see how someone can be neutral, to do so one would have to give up all of their feelings, thoughts and opinions which is humanly impossible.

11. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Egg: The inbetween would be neutral, true. But on one side is evil and on the other is good. Staying neutral would be like walking a tightrope... you can't do it without training. It all comes down to which side you fall down on...

12. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

although u have a good point azardu i feel i must refute it in some futile attempt so here it comes: neutrality cannot exist for the very reason that the rope would be so thin that it would be none existant a concept covered in topology, so it would have no dimensions thus not existing, anything can be proven/refuted with minimal knowledge of mathematics and twisted logic ;)

13. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ahh, mathematics, eh? Try this one then: Sway a little to evil, then back a little to good. Assign numbers to them, using evil as the negative part of the axis. Let's say then, that your evil actions are "-2" and your good actions are "2", then sum it up, and you get "0". You fall down on one side of the rope you cannot see, climb up again, and fall down on the other side. My definition of neutrality is to vary between good and evil all the time. Making the rope nonexistant would only make it easier to cross between them.

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Egg - I think I get your point. It would be a much more logical debate to discuss the existance of absolute "Truth" instead of the existance of ultmate "Evil". (perhaps???)

From a biblical world-view, the questions intermingle. The Adversary (aka Satan or Lucifer) is called both evil and the Father of Lies.

As mentioned befrore, my main reason for asking this is to get a feel for some of the different Worldview's that we are interacting with on the Forum. Can't quite figure out yours yet . . .

15. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

BTA -- what exactly is an Objective Truth if there is no God behind it? "God" means an object of worship... if you are not worshipping a spiritual being greater than yourself, but you believe in an objective truth, sounds to me like you're worshipping yourself... feel free to sound off on me.

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Why must you worship something in order for there to be truth?

Objective truths are those things that are true for everyone/everything; in other words not subjective or based on your own biases/perceptions.

Do you believe that there is nothing that is objectively true unless there is a god behind it?

17. Capstone Gems: 16/31

Actually, if you look at it from a purely scientific standpoint, there is no truly objective truth. Everything you know about the world is perceived and depends upon your frame of reference. However I thought we were talking about objective truth as it pertains to morality and religion. If you don't have a god behind the truth of what is moral, then you have the people determining what is moral, which by definition makes it subjective.

On another note, as a Christian I do not believe you get into heaven by being good. There is no debit/credit system where good works cancel out bad ones. The only thing accepted in heaven is perfection. (yay, am I ever opening a can of worms)

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Now you've hit on it! That is why we were talking about objective truth; how do we know what is objective truth when we can only see truth through our own perceptions.

However, just because we don't know what is objective truth does not mean that there exists no objective truth does it?

Also, are you saying that morality is not subjective? Then why are there so many debates and opinions on what is and is not moral?

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited June 18, 2001).]

19. Capstone Gems: 16/31

Since I believe in morality as defined by the Creator, naturally I believe that there is an objective or absolute morality. I also agree that in the final analysis, you can never know objective truth by logical reasoning. The reason for this is that all scientific analysis must be based on a set of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.

Scientists who mock religion have forgotten this fact. No matter whether you think God exists or not, you still have a fundamental set of beliefs. Without a framework to attach our perceptions and observations to, there can be no scientific progress. Science and religion are not at odds; rather, religion is the foundation that science is built on.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    So then the cannibals out in the jungle are amoral even though they know nothing of your Creator and believe they are acting in a perfectly moral manner?

And the only assumptions made in scientific analysis are that what you observe and measure is the truth.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.