1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Riddle Game 2

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From Emily Dickenson:

I am, in truth, a yellow fork
    From tables in the sky
    By inadvertent fingers dropped
    The awful cutlery.
    Of mansions never quite disclosed
    And never quite concealed
    The apparatus of the dark
    To ignorance revealed.

3. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

The obvious one... Lightning?

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Correct.

Your turn Carcaroth.

5. Carcaroth

Ooops, weekend got in the way.

A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him.
    5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together.
    How can this be?

6. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

She takes a photograph and develops it?

7. Carcaroth

Indubitably my dear Watson.

8. DarkStrider

Don't think we've had this one

Old Mr. Tidy was found dead in his study by Mr. Fiend. Mr. Fiend recounted his dismal discovery to the police. " I was walking by Mr. Tidy's house when I thought I would just pop in for a little visit. I noticed his study light was on so i decided to peek in from the outside to see if he was in there. There was frost on the window so I had to wipe it away to see inside. That is when i saw his body. So I kicked in the front door to confirm my suspicions of foul play. I called the police immediately afterward."
    The officer immediately arrested Mr. Fiend for the murder of Mr. Tidy. How did the officer know Mr. Fiend was lying?

9. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

Condensation would form on the inside of the window, not the outside.

10. DarkStrider

Yay Jhonka, have a shiny balloon on a stick (it's a newe supplier, they have swirly patterms)

11. Jhonka

Oh, er. It's been a week hasn't it? Sorry 'bout that.

A horse is tied to a 15-foot rope and there is a bale of hay 25 feet away from him. The horse proceeds to eat from the bail of hay. How is this possible?

12. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The rope is only tied to the horse, I.E. not anything else. Hence, he can freely move around and eat the hay.

13. Jhonka

That was fast. Your turn.

14. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Thanks, Jhonka.

I'm going to go with something a bit tricky --

"What is R.P.I.?"

A small hint; it's got to do with tombstones.

15. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Rest per instructions?

16. Carcaroth

A spelling error?

17. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31

Close enough. And just when I thought no one'd find it -- Carcaroth's answer is very close.

The real one, however was a grave error. Yes, it's a bad pun.

*hands over the Mantle of Power Word: Riddle to the panther*

Your turn.

18. Carcaroth

Sorry folks, didn't think I would have one this one.

Five clever newsboys formed a partnership and disposed of their papers in the following manner. Tom Smith sold one paper more than one quarter of the whole lot. Billy Jones disposed of one paper more than a quarter of the remainder. Ned Smith sold one paper more than a quarter of what was left, and Charley Jones disposed of one paper more than a quarter of the remainder. At this stage the Smith boys had together sold just one hundred papers more than the Jones boys had sold. Little Jimmy Jones, the youngest kid in the bunch, now sold all the papers that were left. The three Jones boys sold more papers than the two Smith boys, but how many more?

Edit:

And here dies the riddle game. For a simple mathematic one at that.

[ August 25, 2006, 16:51: Message edited by: Carcaroth ]

19. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Dead, shmead; The Jones' sold two hundred, sixteen (216) papers more than the Smiths. :rolleyes:

And it wasn't very simple; I had an overall idea how to look for the sales numbers I wanted but had to start grinding out possibilities before I could see a pattern. :bad:

I imagine a SIMPLE mathematic word problem would have an elegant method to its solution more readily visible. :p

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think that the Jones boys sold 220 more papers. Solving for x (the number of papers) got me 1020. That meant that Tom Smith sold 256 papers, Billy Jones sold 192, Ned Smith sold 144, Charley Jones sold 108 and "little" Jimmy Jones sold 320.

The Smiths sold 400 papers (256 + 144) and the Jones sold 620 (192 + 108 + 320). 620-400 = 220.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.