1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Smithsonian Big "80" List Of Games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Chandos the Red, May 11, 2011.

1. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The Last Ninja (old c64 game) should deffinatly be there. It was the first game to have a soundtrack (all other games had 2 music tracks, Last Ninja had 12).

Sid Meier`s Pirates should also be there I think.

Double Dragon

Outrun

Ultima 4

Eye of the Beholder

Might and Magic 6

King`s Quest (Very groundbreaking game)

2. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Nice to see Advanced Dungeons and Dragons the grandfather of all rpgs listed but I am not sure which of the many DND games they area talking about with that one.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It is - although I don't know if they are referring to one that came out a few years ago, or the one that came out in the 1980s.

Thanks Déise for explaining it better than I did, but that was the point I was trying to make. IMO, if you only have room for Doom OR Doom II, then the original gets the nod. The exception is when the sequel goes in a totally different direction with a different game engine and everything for it to get the nod. As an example of that, I don't have any problem including Diablo II over the original Diablo.

Yikes!! Indeed. Talk about US-centric.

I remember that well - and when you consider all the games that one sparked, I wouldn't have a problem with its inclusion.

4. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    List is full of glaring omissions!

Titles collectively approved and of game-historic importance are missing, thus rendering the list subjective at best.

But a nice read.

5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I was of course reffering to the 80s version of Pirates, Aldeth. I am old-school after all :)

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I figured as much. But I don't know which version the list is referring to. AFAIK, both versions had the same name.

7. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Yeah, I get why they included the first 4 Zelda games. The first started it off. The second had the light world / dark world dichotomy. Zelda 64 brought it into the 3d world and was in many ways a new game. Wind Waker was the same but had a unique graphical style. But I haven't heard of anything that Twilight Princess introduced.

8. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Zelda 2 was a sidescroller game mostly except for the overworld map. IT was the third game that had the light and dark worlds.

9. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Oh yeah. I meant second on the list, which is actually the third Zelda.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.