1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Theological gynecologist nominated for FDA

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Laches, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Back on topic, Shralp, I still think a doctor must be able to set aside his or her own beliefs about the ethical nature of abortion to serve as an advisor to the FDA regarding reproduction. The question the doctor has to address is whether something is medically safe.

I think a doctor can be opposed to abortion and still approve RU-486. Another analogy: Sandra Day O'Connor personally believes abortion is immoral and was appointed by Regan in anticipation of swinging the Court so that Roe v. Wade would be overturned. O'Connor of course shocked pro-life advocates when she cast the decisive vote which kept abortion legal in the U.S., against her own personal beliefs. She even went on to author the crucial opinion.

By the way, Roe v. Wade has been made, in my opinion, largely irrelevant today.

2. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Right, Laches. But if he, like all pro-life people, is also worried about it being medically safe for the unborn child, then he can't really give it his seal of approval, can he? I'm not talking about warning labels here; I'm talking about FDA approval to allow the drug into the US market.

Obviously, this is something of a hyptothetical since RU-486 already has FDA approval, but the situation could well become relevant with variants of other abortion drugs seeking to gain FDA approval.

And again, judges are required to follow precedent -- precedents which have usually ruled abortion legal without restrictions (or more accurately ruled that state restrictions on abortion are illegal). An FDA advisor is not so bound. Since Federal law has not explicitly declared that an unborn child is not a person (and in fact have held that the child is a person in some instances -- such as sentencing those who murder a pregant woman as double murderers), the FDA fellow is free to try to protect the health of the unborn child. In doing so he violates neither U.S. law nor his own conscience.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I stated above, there are a myriad of drugs unsafe for fetuses that have the FDA seal of approval. In fact, most drugs are unsafe for the user of the drug, which is why you need a prescription to obtain them.

It would be (let me use a favorite phrase of yours) intellectually dishonest to disapprove a drug on the sole grounds that it harms a fetus, given that is the intended purpose of the drug.

Given that abortion is legal, a drug that facilitates an abortion yet is safe in other respects for the pregnant woman could not be deemed illegal in any unbiased consideration which is what is required in this society of many differing beliefs.

[ October 28, 2002, 17:50: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

4. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I apologize if anyone was offended by my comments regarding the Catholic Church.

But:
    The pastor of my church when I was growing up was busted a few years back for stealing money from the collection plate, both in my church and the one he was transferred to afterwards. The investigators said there was no way to know exactly how much he took because of the time span involved (he did this for a period of at least 20 years). He had a house in another state, filled with guns (over 40), expensive furniture and art, and made at least two trips per year gambling in places like Atlantic City. He also had at least two girlfriends. This man was the "spiritual leader" of our church.

Another priest at my church was prosecuted for molesting little boys. The Catholic Church seems to have a big problem with this, there have been at least 10 cases in Pittsburgh alone in the last 5 or 6 years. I occasionally hear of priests in other faiths doing this, but it's pretty rare.

I personally know at least two dozen Catholics that have lost thier faiths. Some of these people turned to other religions, some of them became atheists, some are agnostic. The most common reasons given were that it seemed cold and impersonal, and they felt that they should love God and feel joyous about their relationship with God, and they weren't getting that.

In my 12 years of Catholic school, a teacher once threw a desk at a student, another stabbed a student with a pencil (he wasn't seriously hurt), one grabbed a 9 year old boy by the arm so hard it bled (her fingernails dug into his arm). I've also seen 4 nuns lose their faith, and leave the church. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

So, call me a bigot if you will, but I stand by my comments.

Laches, please explain how a person is opposed to abortion and yet casts the deciding vote in favor of approving it. How did O'Connor justify her decision?

5. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Nutrimat, O'Connor relied, primarily (ostensibly?) upon the doctrine of stare decisis.

The case is Planned Parenthood v. Casey. Here it is, (note I know nothing about this web site other than it has the case there) a 5 part decision. The dissenting and concurring opinions are very important as well:

http://www.abortionfacts.com/court_cases/casey/appendix_o.asp

[ October 28, 2002, 20:01: Message edited by: Laches ]

6. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

That's just it, BTA. I don't think it's intellectually dishonest at all. The FDA is asked "is this safe for the public." Since unborn children have never been defined as not being members of the public, a pro-life person quite reasonably can say "no, because it harms the unborn child."

One can say that because abortion is legal that the logical conclusion is that an unborn child is not a person. Yet there are plenty of court cases in which the logical deduction is that an unborn child does enjoy definition as a person.

Nutrimat, I posted a link a while back to an article analyzing the numbers of convicted and accused pedophiles in the nation. There is a greater percentage of Protestant clergy being investigated for these abuses than of Catholic priests. If you care to dig through my archives, try here.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes, Shralp, I understand your argument. What I am saying is that all prescription drugs can be harmful, yet are beneficial in their intended purpose. So, no, the FDA is not asked simply "is this safe for the public"; the purpose of the drug has to be taken into account.

It is currently legal to get an abortion, so I maintain it IS intellectually dishonest to say a drug cannot be used solely because it facilitates an abortion. Whether or not a fetus is a person, it is currently legal to kill it if the pregnant woman so desires it (or requires it), so there are no grounds to say the drug is not safe for its intended purpose.

8. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Thanks for the info!
    BTW Shralp, any clue as to which archive the info you mentioned might be in? I don't feel like searching through this entire thing!

Shralp, in response on topic to your last post, you are using weasel logic. Yes, your response (about the drug being "safe for the public") is technically correct if you view a fetus as a member of the public (I don't really have an opinion), but to answer in this manner would be dishonest. It skirts the purpose of asking the question in order to impose your views, which were not asked for (in the hypothetical question).
    If the question was "do you think this drug is moral and ethical?", then you could honestly say no.

9. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Nutrimat, can you honestly say that what tens of millions of people worldwide have devoted their lives to [Catholocism] is a *joke*, solely based on *your* personal experience?

10. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

No, actually, to both BTA and Nutrimat. The FDA is asked generally to evaluate whether a drug is safe.

If they were asked "is it safe for a specific purpose" then there would never be a drug rejected because of the dangers of its misuse. This is not the case.

Nutrimat, there is a search engine on the site.

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I disagree once again. If the only criteria for the FDA is "is it safe" then no prescription drug would be approved, because none of them are completely safe.

Look at chemotherapy drugs. Are they safe? No, in fact they are very harmful to the body, but they kill cancer cells more/faster than other cells, so they are approved by the FDA for the purpose of killing cancer.

EDIT
    Here is a quote directly from the FDA's own web site:
    Note the part I italicized.

Here is the website: http://www.fda.gov/fdac/special/newdrug/benefits.html

[ October 29, 2002, 18:49: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

12. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Hmm. I seem to have been proven wrong. Bummer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.