1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thief-only party (BG1 & BG2)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Shadowcouncil, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I read this.. others were responding and I rarely post just for stats. Interesting story. Keep it coming.

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Me too. Keep us informed. I was waiting for an update/Edit in your post, and you were waiting for a reply. :hahaerr:

I think it is nice that you avoided those annoying Kobolds, and I agree it is weird that people speak to you while hidden in shadows. What levels are your shadow counsil members? and have you installed TotSC yet?

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited October 09, 2001).]

3. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I think I might know why they allowed Npc to speak with thouse who are invisible. It could be that they where concerned that if people where to hide all of the time they might not get a crittical piece of dialog. Oh and keep the story comming.

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Kemam, that's indeed the right point I think. Or it can also be that the developpers just didn't think about hief-only parties :)

I wanted to play more today but I couldn't play more then 45 minuts. So I didn't reach the Bandit Camp yet. I finished Firewine Bridge Ruins without too big problems (a few times a kobold saw me and then with this ac and hit points, a fire arrow is very painful. Fortunatly I have totally 8 minor healings a dag for 4 characters so that isn't bad) and with 100 fire arrows, very useful :) The mage had a Fireball Scroll and Stinking Cloud wich I needed, learned that with the mage. Finally she has some better lvl 2 and 3 spells.

I moved back to Gullykin and receive the reward and rested some. Killed the bandit camp in the south, but with problems. Backstabbed the first 2 Fighter and Druid but 3 of 4 where weared after the fighter was killed. The mage did a good job though, stayed alive with some problems, killed the druid and damaged the other cleric. The other characters came back to their senses and killed the rest. I went to Beregost and High Hedge and sold all what I didn't need and now I am in the Friendly Arm Inn, resting, drinking some ale before harder times will come again. Next time I go to the Bandit Camp. It's time for them to die!

Glorfindel, the figher/thief, is obviously the most powerful character, with 51% of all XP, gained by kills. Second is Haldir with 24 percent. The Thief/Illusionist has 15 percent of XP gained by kills, the Cleric/Thief is last with 10 percent.
    The pure thief is now level 7 already. The Thief/Ilussionist is level 6 on both, the fighter/thief is level 6 thief and level 5 fighter, the Cleric/Thief is level 6 thief and level 5 Cleric.

To be continued....

[NOTE] Interested people, it can happen (already happened) that nobody replies on the last post. In that case I can't reply but only edit my last post in this topic. In that case this topic will not be somewhere on top but some lower. So when you are interested, check the topic also sometimes when there isn't a new reply!

5. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

<<In that case I can't reply but only edit my last post in this topic.>>

Yep. Happens all the time with my own stories. It feels so much better to be able to just write a new entry than to edit an existing one.

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] ARe you planning on making some special purchases before the bandit camp. OR do you rush straight on?

Perhaps a potion of speed against the bad bad leader or potion of strenghts. To nail him quick. And spells to hold/charm him? Any planning there?

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I have some potions stored for the fights there. My Wand of Fire is just empty, but I stored potions that gives fireballs. (Mage can only cast one fireball a day) and I also have a potion of Cloud Giant Strength. With that it shouldn't be too hard, yet.... The real problems will start in Baldurs Gate I suppose. I use normally this tactic: Everyone that can backstab (everyone except for the Cleric/Thief) backstabs one, normally at least one enemy already dies, then I got the Cleric/Thief and another one to attack another one, normally with ranged attacks unless they are very close, then I use melee. I only think now, that the tent with the bosses of the bandit camp can be a problem, I think that when I enter it I leave shadows, so I can't surprise them. That can be a hard fight.

Tomorrow is my free day, then I can play a lot so Friday evening I will update this posts again.

KJ, can't we make a deal? Ik reply in your topic and you reply in mine so we can always post again :);):lol:

[Update]

Time for the Bandit Camp! I went to Peldvale. It was remarkable easy to get rid of the Black Talon Elite. Normally they where very hard cause of their Ice Arrows that damaged you a lot before you could reach them and they changed to swordfight. Now I just backstabbed them and They couldn't shoot any arrow. I have about 60 Ice arrows and 200 arrows +1 now :) Killed Raiken too and went to Larswood. There I joined the Bandits and killed Tazok. It wasn't very hard, my main fighter used a potion of cloud giant strength. and backstabbed him. The mage did cast a cone of ice and magic missiles, Hadlir used ice arrows. Soon Tazok told be we could fight good and he ran away. But I didn't want him to escape and killed him. Now I'm clearing the Bandit Camp but first I have a sport match :) I made some screenshots (in one you see my fighter/thief do more then 100 damage :))
    http://home.hetnet.nl/~ma1rnix/shadowcouncil_vs_doomsayer.jpg http://home.hetnet.nl/~ma1rnix/Peldvale.jpg http://home.hetnet.nl/~ma1rnix/BlackTalons.jpg http://home.hetnet.nl/~ma1rnix/BlackTalons2.jpg http://home.hetnet.nl/~ma1rnix/hobgoblins.jpg

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited October 13, 2001).]

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Not only do you prove that it is possible to complete with an all thievish party. You are proving that it is perhaps the best party construction possible! Ragusa would be so glad to read this. :) I Simply love the idea of screeshots Headbanger. You are doing a spledid job!! I look forward to the city of Baldurs Gate.

PS. You have made me interested in the same concept. IS there anywhere to get a free homepage to put screenshots in?

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Nobleman, when you have free internet providers in Denmark maybe you get homepage-space there. The provider I work for is free and has 22 mb homepage-space. I have 5 accounts, so 110 mb space :) But that's dutch and I don't know I you understand that :)

I also found out that with screenshots, everybody has a better look on the party so I will continue making some shots. And indeed, at least a thief only party is great for you don't have to kill everything and you can easily avoid people that use ranged weapons like Kobold Commando's and Black Talon Elite's.

10. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Headbanger - sorry.. Lost track of this story while paying attention to my own and a few other tihngs. I will keep an eye out for this and hopefully, you won't get stuck waiting for a "reply" forcing and edit rather than an update.

Good story though.

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Bad idea, those screenshots. I killed Tazok without too much problems and then I fought the party in the tent of the bandit camp. After being killed several times, I managed to kill the party with some backstabbing, potions, etc. Unfortunatly I forgot to make screenshots and I already like screenshots so much that I decided to Quit without saving so next time I can fight them again and make some screenshots :)

I'll post the screenshots as soon as I played again. For I have an injury I will not practise sport this weekend, I train 4 days a week normally so I suppose I got some free time this week :)

Keman, well, things like that happen in life sometimes, especially when you computer and sport much :) I killed the party in the bandit camp again, yesterday and I made some screenshots. I will post them here soon as I am home again. I talked to Officer Vai and will head to Cloakwood soon.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited October 16, 2001).]

12. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Way to go! Keep up the good work on the game.
    Sad to hear you got hurt but thake your blessings wen you find them. Have fun.

13. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] You guys don't use potions of invisibility?
    Those will give you extra beackstabs.
    Mage spells might also work
    As long as they are invisible I think they can backstab

14. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Haha Headbanger, I love those screens. Especially the two Black Talon ones. I love it, it's like a before and after. Keep up the good work.

15. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

StressedE, my Thief/Illusionist (who turned out to be very good, beyond what I expected)uses much wands and spells. Burning hands is the most used spell, and that is a very useful one. Luily Greylock first backstabs with her dagger +2 and when she misses or the enemie surviced, she can immediatly use Burning Hands. I don't use potions of invisibility for we all have Stealth above 100 percent.

Big B, it is indeed a before and after-shot, to show how easy it is to kill the Talons without them damaging you. I'll found out how great it is to make screenshots, so I'll make and upload some more soon!

16. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] This is great :D

Keep it up :D :happy: :heh:

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Thanks for the support Wildfire, :rolleyes:
    Where would the shadowcouncil be without you?

I went to the Forest of Sharp Teeth and the fight with the horde of spiders wasn't easy, after one reload I killed them, but they damaged me a lot. The traps spoiled my Backstab-tactics.

I made some more good screenshots from the fight with the Red Wizards in the Forest of Sharp Teeth:

The Red Wizards before the fight
    The Red Wizards during the fight 1
    The Red Wizards during the fight 2
    The Red Wizards after the fight

I went to Cloakwood and killed Aldeth easily and found the for Thiefs oh so necessarry Cloak of Non-Detection :rolleyes:

After that I encountered Coran. He asked me to join the party and adventurous as we are, we want to help him killing the Wyverns, for we could need some help with that. So Coran joined the party. I went back to Beregost to buy a leather Armor +2 and a composite longbow +1 for him, he also uses the Bastard Sword +1 +3 vs. Shapeshifters. Hope to play some more this weekend.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited October 20, 2001).]

18. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Nice shots... Good story. Keep it up.

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Sorry that I kept you all so long waiting. Didn't had too much time to play last week.

The Cloakwood Area's where done rather quickly. I killed Aldeth Sashenstar and took Coran in my party, for a while. He is also a thief so I thought I had to support him, he could never kill a wyvern alone, even not with his bowskills, that are rather amazing. I gave him the Bastard Sword vs. Shapeshifters and the Composite Long Bow +1, Bracers of Archery (I don't need them) and a Leather Armor +2. With his Thac0 of 6 he was a useful bowmen. We killed the Wyverns in the cave. The party near the entrance of the Cloakwood Mines didn't give much problems. One of the two fighters almost killed the party but after my fighter/thief and pure thief killed him in a good melee combat, with some help of the others, the rest was easy. While getting rid of the fighter, the Ilussionost/Thief Dori Greylock casted a fireball and then monster summoning. The monsters killed one of the two mages and with ranged attacks we killed the fighter/cleric. The wolves started to attack the invisible mage even, and after casting a Dispel we killed him easily too. The Mines where a piece of cake, a fireball delt with the bunch of people in the room on the second floor, the Ogre-Mage was backstabbed and died immediatly, and Daveorns was the most easy fight I had. With the whole party invisible we walked towards him. Luily Grey lock stayed behing and casted a dispel to dispel his protections, and my pure Thief and Fighter/Thief did together 80 damage with backstab, wich was more then enough to kill the bastard. Flooded the mines and went to the east. Helped Tenya to retrieve the Bowl... Now I'm standing before the bridge to Baldur's Gate, where lot's of adventures, quests, joy and perils are lying.

The party:

Glorfindel, Fighter/Thief, Elf

Level 6 thief (34000 of 40000 XP), Level 6 Fighter (next level 64000)

AC= 0

Melee Thaco: 8
    Ranged Thaco: 6

Equipment: Long Sword +2, Long Bow of Markmanship, Helm of Glory, Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise, Golden Girdle", Shadow Armor, Ring of Fire Resistance, Learal's Tear Necklage, Boots of Speed, Cloak of Non-Detection.

Most Powerful Vanquished: Greater Bassilisk
    Percentage of XP: 55%
    Percentage of Kills: 49%

Hide in Shadows: 115%
    Open Locks: 85%

Haldir, Thief, Elf

Level 7, almost level 8.

AC=1

Melee Thac0: 12
    Ranged Thac0= 11

Equipment: Short Bow +1, Short Sword +2, Studded Leather +2, Boots of Avoidance, Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise, Girdle of Bluntness, Agernon's Cloak, Laeral's Tear Necklage.

Most powerful Vanquished: Sirine
    Experience Value: 21%
    Percentage of kills: 21%

Hide in Shadows: 105%
    Pick Pockets: 100%

Luily Greylock, Cleric/Thief, Gnome

Level 6 Cleric, Level 6 Thief.

AC=0

Ranged Thac0: don't use ranged weapons (one weapon slot)
    Melee Thac0: 15

Equipment: War Hammer +2, Large Shield +1, Helmet of Infravision, Ring of Energy, Boots of the North, Studded Leather +1, Cloak of the Wolve, Laeral's tear Necklage, Ring of Holiness.

Most Powerfull Vanquished: Mustard Jelly
    Experience Value: 5%
    Percentage of kills: 8%

Hide in Shadows: 100%
    Detect Traps: 75%

Dori Greylock, Illusionist/Thief, Gnome

Level 6 thief, level 5 Illusionist.

AC=1.

Ranged Thac0: NOT
    Melee Thaco: 15

Equipment: Bracers of Defense AC6, Robe of the Good Archmagi, Dagger of Venom, Ring of Wizardry, Girdle of Piercing, Boots of Elecricity resistance.

Most Powerful Vanquished: Doomsayer
    Experience Value: 17%
    Percentage of Kills: 21%

Hide in Shadows: 100%
    Open Locks: 50%
    Find Traps: 45%
    Pickpocket: 35%

Good Screenshots:

Killing the Wyverns
    Party outside Cloakwood Mines
    The bunch of losers at second floor of the mines (they can'see me :))

You'll hear more soon!

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited October 29, 2001).]

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Keep it coming Headbanger. You make thiefs seem honourable.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.