1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To spam or not to spam...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Zaragoth, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] I know that we deserved it Kevlar. I´m just saying that it´s a bit too much to delete all the levels for a one-time spam.
    I know that you all disagree with me, and you have a right to - But I also have a right to complain and say what I think.
    This is NOT a thing I´m doing to get you all mad at me, cuz I don´t want to do that. I just said what I thought was the thing to say, and I stand for what I´m saying.
    I don´t care for status nor levels, I just think that it´s an unneccessary thing to do.
    But this is not my channel, and these are not my rules, and I´m trying to follow them best I can, but as soon as I do one little thing I get banned or something. In this case, I got level drained - so to speak. thx// Zaragoth

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Zaragoth, so you admit you spammed and you understand that spamming was the wrong thing to do. So what do you think you punishment should be for breaking the rules?

3. Avooch Dar Guest

i think that maybe we should just shame spammers on a list at the top of the page.(maybe spammer of the week?).
    I think that i have been guilty of spamming occaisionaly although i try my best not too. However sometimes you just don't realise when you do it so maybe a less harsh punishment first time round like naming and shaming would be better.

PS. When i first got on the boards i spamed a bit and after a harsh e-mail from tal i did not intentionaly offend again! (scary bloke)

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Before continuing, I think the spamming discussion should be split up, as the rules are quite different from the boards and the chatroom.

Still spamming isn't allowed in either case

5. herf Guest

I agree with Zaragoth to a certain degree.
    I belive the arguement he is making is that why remove his whole word-count for a first time minor offense.
    I think his word count should be re-instated minus 1000 words or something similar.
    And also, when a first offender is found out I think they should be warned, not immediately set to 0 in the chatroom.

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I'm not gonna say things about this. This is't my site, so I also don't set the rules. You just have to accept the rules or find a place where the rules are better. Of course I think he shouldn't be punished this way, just lower his words somewhat, for some these stats are very inmportant... :)

I also think it's better to give a wanring first (AND tell the consequences when they don't stop) So they know what happens then....

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited August 23, 2001).]

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

- and that be the reason.

As a personal note:
    People can easily spam when noone's there (physically), though it can't be known how often people do it, so that's why you get cut straight to zero. And frankly, I can't be bothered to read billion lines of text in the log every day to see if every single instance of a spam is considered a joke or not. And as of yet, there are still people who think their stats important, and those people would absolutely not think it fun to be overrun by a spammer.

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited August 23, 2001).]

8. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] forget about it.. no use any way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.